I have been "labled"... UGH - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2007, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I went for my regular check-up today. I asked about the GBS test and when they would do it and yadda yadda... blah blah blah. THEN, he pulls out the "I want an ultrasound next week so we can check the size of the baby since you are a diabetic momma."

UM- WHAT?! :

I agreed to the 1 hour test. The dang nurse gave me the WRONG solution (100g instead of 50g) and the test came back elevated. (my exact # was 153 after 1 hour... I thought that was dang good considering the amount of sugar I ingested.) ANYWAY, even though they created the error, they wanted me to do the 3 hour test and I declined. The 100g solution made me so sick that I refuse to repeat that mess... and I DID NOT have 3 hours to spare with a toddler in tow. I agreed to buy a glucometer and test 4 times a day. The Dr. said that was fine and after a few weeks of getting numbers, he'd take a look and decrease the number of testing times if my levels were good.

Of course, my numbers were just fine! All of my fasting sugars are between 75 and 85. All of my post meal sugars are between 92 and 115 depending on how carbo rich the meal was. My sugars are FINE! :

I asked him WHY am I being called a "GD" mother and it was CYA move. (not said in those words of course) He said to be on the "safe" side they had to consider me having it. And, that brought on the extra U/S to see the baby's weight and size. I had a big baby last time- nothing to do with diabetic status- I just make big kids! I will make another big baby.

So, NOW, I am labeled and have to face them pushing a c-section and etc. b/c of having a big baby.... I just see this going really bad, really quick. :

Anyway, thank for letting me vent-- any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2007, 10:06 PM

But....but it was THEIR mistake!!!!! They can't call you GD until they give you the right test!!!! WTF I'm mad at them on your behalf!!!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:57 PM

Can you switch doctors? They sound like idiots!

Mama of three.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23 View Post
Can you switch doctors? They sound like idiots!
I suppose I could but I am paid in full already. : You know, I had so many of my friends recommend them to me-- other women who are just as "natural" as I am (which is not as natural as I should be.... but that's another topic ) and felt that I would be supported for my choices there. So far, I have been- other than this blasted GTT.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:19 AM

I sympathize with you, I have been labeled 'high risk', for a few reasons but overall, going to the office 2x a week, at time every other day, is not going to change anything. I've gotten the 'on the safe side' speech too, and obviously you don't want to do anything to endanger the baby, so they guilt you. I have a son that that I have to drag to my appts too, he's been so patient, but i do feel bad for him.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:39 AM

How frustrating. I was "borderline" GD last time, because I drank a slurpee on my way to the first test (having no idea what it was) and failed it. My OB got me on a sugar-free diet just in case and it was annoying, but kept him from being worried or pushing anything on me. Hope you get it all sorted out.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
Old 01-03-2007, 01:43 AM

Those doctors just don't realize how much damage and stress they cause. It's insane how much we women go through.

I know you're in for a fight, but stay strong. Shove those numbers in their face every chance you can and stand firm. Sorry you're going through this, mama.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:08 AM

I'm labelled too! No gtt for me but I was "diagnosed" with gd last time due to borderline numbers. They haven't been able to force any of their standard tests on me I think I may be a thorn in the good old dr.'s side.

mum to a crew...
Old 01-03-2007, 09:17 AM

oh god- that is just nuts....

hope you can get it sorted out
Old 01-03-2007, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your support. I knew you would understand where I was coming from.

My DH wants me to have the ultrasound-- I think just b/c he wants to get another look at the baby He's cute like that : Of course, I know that having it could lead to undo pressure. If we have the u/s, I plan to make it real clear to the Dr. that I in no way plan to let that influence me into having any other invasive procedure (read: c-section or induction). I simply refuse. This is my birth dang it and not some medical condition to be treated!!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 10:43 AM

That stinks!! Anyway you could just retake the 1 hour test? My mw let me retake because I told her the results were off due to our move. I was right. My level dropped from 176 to 109. Whatever happens stay strong, you're right this is your birth, and you know more about your body than they do.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:05 PM

Oh no! I'm mad for you too. Oh this reinforces my firm stance on refusal of this test. I was going to do the jelly bean test (just eat jelly beans instead of glucola) but I ended up refusing that one too.
I did let them do a random glucose test on me after eating a hard boiled egg but that's IT.
I'm so sorry you are going through this but it may be time for you to get angry and put some people in their place. I know it's hard because we shouldn't HAVE to do that, but unfortunately we do.
Good luck and stay strong!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMommax2 View Post
Of course, my numbers were just fine! All of my fasting sugars are between 75 and 85. All of my post meal sugars are between 92 and 115 depending on how carbo rich the meal was. My sugars are FINE! :

I would keep reminding your OB of this EVERY time you see him in the office.
I am sorry he sprung this on you!

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:30 PM

just say no to the U/S... since they are gonna say you are too big too.

since your numbers were fine, you have nothing to worry about. (well, except for th interventions your doc is going to want to do that is)

yeah, practice saying NO, it will come in handy.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 01-04-2007, 01:52 AM

Every time it is brought up you are going to have to tell him that you do not have GD and remind them of their error and your personal testing. I would not consent to another u/s as that can cause even more complications than you have now. You know they will probably see a big baby (especially if that is your history) than start talking induction. I wouldn't give them the chance!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
Old 01-04-2007, 02:15 PM

I'm not getting one this time (gotta love hands-off midwives), but last time I did a glucose tolerance test by just going to a lab first thing in the morning without eating breakfast, but with eating a candy bar 1/2 hr before the test. That was the alternative to the yukky goop that my OB offered. Maybe you could ask for that test. Its fast and easy and not nearly as unpleasant.

Mom of three spunktastic kiddos, supported by super-partner while dabbling in midwifery and organic farming. Biting off more than I can chew since '03.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:31 PM

That's CRAZY.

If I were you, I'd point this out every single time I went in for an appointment, and I would demand that they fix their error. Cause... that's just insane!
Old 01-04-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
just say no to the U/S... since they are gonna say you are too big too.

since your numbers were fine, you have nothing to worry about. (well, except for th interventions your doc is going to want to do that is)

yeah, practice saying NO, it will come in handy.
I agree with this! I'm not in your DDC but the OP jumped out at me because I was also labeled GD based on a perinatologist's error, even though my glucose levels were fine right into my last week of pregnancy and on the GTT as well. (I think he read my chart and saw that I take a drug commonly prescribed to diabetics, although I don't have diabetes. I am also plus-sized.) After he said, "This baby looks big, which is common with diabetics," I told him I was not diabetic. However, he had two other docs in the room and needed to save face, so he told me he believed I had developed GD after the test at 28 weeks.

Anyway, because of letting this guy pressure me and freak me out, I ended up induced early - TWICE - and ultimately had a c-section. To add insult to injury, they gave my newborn daughter a bunch of extra blood glucose screenings because "they were treating me as a diabetic." I was in no position to advocate for her or myself and I'm still mad about it. Oh, and the baby was 8 pounds 6 ounces - pretty average IMO.

Make sure you have good support for this birth. It's gonna be OK, you are strong.

User Tag List