Spotlight on Jilly!! 1/4-1/6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-04-2007, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Time to move the spotlight to our January Mommy!! So glad we were able to do this before she gives birth!! So let's shower Jilly with lots of pre-labor love!

I'll get it started:

Is Andrew looking forward to being a big brother?

What are you doing to keep warm in the frozen north? Or would you rather be outside enjoying the frozen north?

What is your favorite meal?
#2 of 10 Old 01-04-2007, 09:43 AM

What type of writing do you do?
What are you most immediately excited about in bringing this new little wonder into the world?
What are you most nervous about?
What is your favorite activity to do with Andrew?
#3 of 10 Old 01-04-2007, 01:41 PM

Is Andrew looking forward to being a big brother?
Some days he is, I think. He's a bit tempermental in general, and so a bit hard to read. Some days he kisses my belly and talks about the baby, or gets out his play baby that he keeps wrapped up in a blanket in his toolbox, but mostly he doesn't mention it, and when anyone asks him if he's going to be a big brother he just says "no". But then, that's what he generally says to anyone who tries to interact with him. I think he's thinking about it, though, because he notices and points out things like baby clothes appearing in the drawers next to him, and the change table getting changed around. So we'll see.

What are you doing to keep warm in the frozen north? Or would you rather be outside enjoying the frozen north? One day, when I am not pregnant or dealing with a tempermental child in the winter I would like to take up cross country skiing. Last year Andrew and I walked everywhere unless it was about - 20 or lower, which was great. But I'm a bit too pregnant to haul him around in a sleigh this year, so we're mostly just hiding out in the house or wandering around our little local mall.

What is your favorite meal?
I love food, so this is a really hard question. When I lived in B.C., I think my favorite meal ever was one year for my birthday when we had an "eccentric / ethnic" party, and we had jiyoza, sushi, vietmianeese salad rolls, a Jewish rice dish (I don't remember the name now), and pumpkin pie for dessert. It was fantastic. In general, as far as everyday food goes, I love it when we marinate and barbeque beef or chicken kebabs, roasted potatos and red peppers or corn. Mmmm. . . delicious, and no pots and pans to scrub. In winter I really like shepherd's pie or stew or any kind of comfort food.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#4 of 10 Old 01-04-2007, 01:57 PM

What type of writing do you do?
Right now I just write in my blog and journal. Before I was a mom when I had the ability to concentrate on something for more than 10 min. at a time I used to write fantasty / sci fi short stories and I was attempting to write a novel. But now I have an idea for a novel based on some of the bad jobs I had in my 20's, which I may at some point get my butt in gear and write.
What are you most immediately excited about in bringing this new little wonder into the world?
This babe is so different, even in the womb, than Andrew that I"m just looking forward to seeing what they are like and finally meeting him or her. And I'm actually surprised because I'm starting to look forward to breastfeeding again, even though I was so done with it in Sept when I finished weaning Andrew.
What are you most nervous about? That Andrew will want to nurse again, and we'll have huge fights about it. The logistics of toting two children around in the winter with no remote car starter (eg - when I grocery shop, do I leave the children and groceries in the store and run out to start the car, or do I take the kids out bundled up in the cart and hope the baby is ok until the car warms up, or do I take the groceries and leave the children . . . its like one of those riddles about crossing the river with a fox, a chicken and a bag of corn).
What is your favorite activity to do with Andrew?

In the summer I love going to the park with him. Its so fun watching him learn how to climb and slide and use the monkey bars and play in the sand and check out the other kids. Right now, I really like taking him to visit our friends in Nipawin. He loves playing with their kids, and its fun watching him interact with other kids and really enjoy himself. And its a nice break for me because he's usually so intense to parent (he's one of those in-your-lap-in-your-face-or-into- mischeif kind of kids). We also have a bunch of bulk cereal and mandarin orange boxes in the basement that he loves to knock down after we build them into 6 ft tall stacks. That's pretty fun, too. And I love it when he'll sit on my lap and watch me sew for a while, which is fun for both of us.

Thanks for the great questions. Keep them coming.

#5 of 10 Old 01-04-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly View Post
The logistics of toting two children around in the winter with no remote car starter (eg - when I grocery shop, do I leave the children and groceries in the store and run out to start the car, or do I take the kids out bundled up in the cart and hope the baby is ok until the car warms up, or do I take the groceries and leave the children . . . its like one of those riddles about crossing the river with a fox, a chicken and a bag of corn).
Let me know what you come up with. It hasn't been too cold here in Vermont, but I would imagine it will get there before winter is over.

Do you have things "ready" for this new babe or are you still trying to get organized?
Have you bought or recieved anything for the baby that you absolutely love and can't wait to use?
Besides motherhood (we all know that is the best occupation ever), what would your perfect job be and why?
#6 of 10 Old 01-04-2007, 07:52 PM

Do you have things "ready" for this new babe or are you still trying to get organized?
As of Tuesday, I think I have all the essentials ready. All the clothes and diapers are washed and put away, my bag and Andrew's bag are packed and we bought an infant car seat. Now I'm sort of on my auxillary "things I would like to get done before the baby comes because I won't get them done after" list.

Have you bought or recieved anything for the baby that you absolutely love and can't wait to use?
The fuzzy green blanket and flannel wipes I got in the second trimester swap thing are pretty exciting -- I packed the blanket to come home in. And I bought the baby one cute new outfit that will be new to him or her. Other than the car seat, everything else is from ds.

Besides motherhood (we all know that is the best occupation ever), what would your perfect job be and why? I had my perfect job before I became a SAHM -- I used to teach highschool at an inner city school in Surrey, B.C. I taught mostly drama and English and I loved, loved it. It was so rewarding and challenging, and I always had to be creative and try to think of new ways to communicate with kids or get them interested or engaged in the topic. And it was so exciting to see the drama kids build confidence and skills through the year, and to get the kids excited about language and reading (and sometimes just excited about passing the class), and helping them start to understand Shakespeare or poetry or media. I love encouraging and inspiring teenagers in general, they are so under-rated and people expect so little of them. Okay, enough gushing. When all our kids are in school, I am planning to go back at least part time, because teaching, especially English, has always been my passion.

#7 of 10 Old 01-04-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly View Post
The fuzzy green blanket and flannel wipes I got in the second trimester swap thing are pretty exciting -- I packed the blanket to come home in. And I bought the baby one cute new outfit that will be new to him or her. Other than the car seat, everything else is from ds.

So glad you are going to use the blankie for babies first!! On to my questions...

Any feelings on gender??

Any girls names picked out?

Are you still wearing real clothes?? LOL more of a poll question really, I'm just wondering if I'm the only one resigned to wearing "stretchies" for the rest of my pg!
#8 of 10 Old 01-04-2007, 10:45 PM

Any feelings on gender??
I think its a girl, and the official town "baby gender" guy who is apparently infallable agrees with me. The dr says the heart beat sounds like a boy, though, so who knows.

Any girls names picked out?
We have some picked out, but nothing we really really are fixed on. Our top picks for first names right now are Ella or Elizabeth, Claire and Ann. I think Ann is too short for a first name, and I like Claire and Ella. I just think Ella might be a bit too cute when she gets older and then she wouldn't have any options, so maybe Elizabeth would be better and we could call her Ella, but she would have options when she got older. But dh doesn't really like Elizabeth, so then I was trying to think of other options . . . Elanor, Elspeth, etc, but I couldn't come up with anything we really liked. I also like Bridgid a lot, but dh doesn't like it at all.

Are you still wearing real clothes?? LOL more of a poll question really, I'm just wondering if I'm the only one resigned to wearing "stretchies" for the rest of my pg!

I actually started a thread about this in the Jan. DDC. I am so done with clothes. At home I'm just wearing yoga pants and stretchy t-shirts with my belly peeking out in the middle. When I go out I put on overalls, but they really chafe now. I just got a whole new ream of stretch marks on my formely fairly flat lower abdomen (oh, what we go through for our children), so no wonder the skin is so tender.

#9 of 10 Old 01-06-2007, 03:38 AM

How did you meet dh?

Are the two of you similar or opposites?

What is your favorite scent?

Do you plan on having more than 2 children?

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#10 of 10 Old 01-06-2007, 05:14 PM

How did you meet dh?

We met through my sister. She is 15 years older than I am, and when I was a teenager she ran a youth group in the Toronto area. I used to go down to visit her and hang out at youth retreats and stuff. This was where I first met Dave, although he was dating someone else and I had a crush on his brother.
Then the same sister and her husband started working at a bible camp, and they were looking for councillors and guess who both ended up working at the camp -- yep, me and dh. But he had another girlfriend, so we just hung out and were friends. We really hit if off , though and had a lot of fun. Then that winter, he ended up moving to my town because they offered an early university entrance program that he couldn't get into the the Toronto area because his marks were just a bit too low. But in Thunder Bay (northern Ont.), the entrance requirements were a few percent lower, so he got accepted and what do you know? I was the only person he knew in town. He had just went though a really bad break up and made it really clear to me that he was NOT interested in dating anyone and he was ONLY staying for 3 months, and I took him at his word, but we sort of fell in love and started dating a month and a half later. That summer we got engaged, he came back for university the next year and we got married just after Christmas that year. We were 18 and 19.

Are the two of you similar or opposites?

Oh, we are SO opposites. I am really outgoing and chatty. I make snap decisions and can be really flighty and scatterbrained, and I'm really into the arts and reading novels and creating things. I also really wear everything on my sleeve and tend to say whatever I'm thinking (I'm getting better at that, though). He is really reserved and introverted. He takes forever to make decisions and likes to think abut everything for a long time and weigh all the options. He keeps everything inside until it all bursts out in some unhealthy way (we're working on this). He is a real thinker, and tends to read theology and philosophy in his spare time. But at the same time he's a real thrill seeker and loves motorcycles and gokarts and stuff like that, so we always have motorbike magazines laying around the house. I think the thing that brings us together is that we both have a real passion and love for people and for our faith, and we are both really interested in living out our beleifs with thought through integrity. And we are both the kind of people who will take huge risks, like getting married young or moving across the country or suddenly switching careers.

What is your favorite scent?
I love vanilla and anything spicy or woodsy/ musky.

Do you plan on having more than 2 children?
Yes. Dh grew up with one brother, and in their family that produced a lot of bad dynamics. I grew up in a family of 5, but as the much younger sibling, and that was kind of lonely. So we've always thought we would like 3 or 4. We'll see how many we can crank out before I'm 35 .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page