Would I be over stepping my boundries by asking for a second opinon? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-04-2007, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ladies my tummy is really hurting.. It ranges from stabbing shooting pains, too very bad tenderness, and by mid afternoon of every day my stomach is SO BLOATED, I literally feel like I am going too POP. I walk hunched over cause it hurts really bad.. I have been bringing this up too my OB since wk28, and they just tellme I am an older mamma, or I am stretching.. This does not feel like stretching, anf frankly I do not feel it NORMAL too be so bloated it is painful, and hurts too walk. I thought maybe it was placenta, as I have anterior placenta, but they say NO.. I should not feel any pains from anterior placenta.
They did do a sono on the 27th of december, but all they looked at was babies size, cause I have been meausring ahead. I got a copy of the report on this sono, and it is listed that they looked at my cervix, placenta, Fluid level..etc, and I amn here too tell you, they did NOT!! They meausred the babies head, his tummy, and his leg bone, then they did a wuick heart rate check, and told me everything was fine. I showed DH the repost, and he was like, how can they say they checked all this, when they did not.. He was there too prove they only checked babies size..
I am wondering if there could be something worng with my placenta? I do not understand why I feel like I am going too literally blow up, why my tummy is so tender. with internittent shooting pains.. It is really startinbg too scare me, and I keep getting blown off. I really feel in my heart of hearts that something is NOT right in my tummy area.. And stuggle toounderstand why this is blown off
Do you think I would be out of line too call my OB and ask for a second opinion about my tummy? At first I thought it was baby, but I just am not so sure anymore.. I have been pG 3 other times, and Never ever had had pain or severe bloat like this.. EVER.. It hurts really bad..
I am so confused and scared and have no idea where too turn or how too tackle this.. Any thoughtsplease, would be greatly appreciated..
#2 of 12 Old 01-04-2007, 12:20 PM

What boundaries? This is YOUR baby and your birth. Other people's feelings are irrelevant. Get the care you need. I trust my own instincts over a Dr. any day.
Also it's the same OB who told you everything was fine who you are planning to call? Sorry maybe I read it wrong but I'd go elsewhere for the second opinion. And soon.
Keep us posted please.
#3 of 12 Old 01-04-2007, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You don't have to tell your doc that you are going to get a second opinion. If you have another doc (family practitioner) or if someone you know really likes their ob-gyn, just make a call and set up an appointment.

I think it's a warning sign when a medical professional will not take your concerns seriously.
#4 of 12 Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 PM

if you are scared you need a second opinion. period. screw what anyone else thinks, this is your body and your feelings and your baby. you NEED and DESERVE someone who will listen to you and address your concerns.

please keep us updated.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#5 of 12 Old 01-04-2007, 01:15 PM

Please get a second opinion from another doctor mama! All of our organs are displaced and cramped...it could be an appendix, gall baldder, pancreas....or maybe just nothing except a painful pregnancy. At least you will have peace of mind. I'm not trying to scare you at all, probably everything is OK....but you would be mortified if you later found out something else awful was going on and you ignored your instincts. Call today! The last time (10 years ago) a Dr. discredited my pain and symptoms was when my appendix burst...he sent me home for 3 weeks with a liquid diet and told me I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome and that the pain was "normal" and that I needed to just deal with it. I got soooo sick, but ignored my intuition and followed dr's orders...I had mega surgery, spent 3 weeks in the hospital, couldn't eat anything except for OJ, left at 85 lbs., have a ton of scar tissue, have problems with fertility ...the list goes on. I'm not trying to panic you....but nothing is wiser than your intuition. 's to you mama....Peace of mind is priceless....my fingers are crossed hoping that baby just has its feet in your ribs or something.
#6 of 12 Old 01-04-2007, 01:41 PM

You're never "overstepping your boundaries" by asking for a second opinion. That is your right, and as a patient, it's important that you advocate for yourself, because medical professionals sure aren't going to do it for you, most of the time. If you feel that something is wrong, and your doctor isn't taking you seriously, FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR.

You have hired them to do a job for you, and they are not doing it. Fire them, and find someone who will.
#7 of 12 Old 01-04-2007, 02:15 PM

I agree with everyone else. Especially the part about not even calling them about hte situation. Get a second opinion from someone esle period. Bypass them completely.
When I was looking for new OB's to interview (last week) I went first to my hospital where I plan to birth at and read their links-that assured me of insurance coverage. There are docs who are more adept at high-risk births, others who focus on endometrial issues, etc. I bet a good web search may help you find the numbers to call.

Hope it's not serious, hon.
#8 of 12 Old 01-04-2007, 02:20 PM

Second opinions are never a problem, not ever!! Get one, if you feel you need or want to... please do! If your doctor has a problem with it, it's HIS problem, HIS issue, not yours. And a true professional will not think for a second that YOU are a problem if you get a second opinion.
#9 of 12 Old 01-04-2007, 04:27 PM

Another vote here for get a second opinion. It could be something or it could be nothing, but if you don't trust your OB with what he said-trust yourself.
Let us know what happens.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#10 of 12 Old 01-04-2007, 04:36 PM

Even if it ends up being nothing, finding someone who can take you seriously and who can take the time to answer your questions and investigate your pains, can really help to relieve your fears, rather than compounding them by ignoring or dismissing them. That, alone, is reason enough to seek a second opinion.

(I have an anterior placenta, but have never had any pain related to it.)
#11 of 12 Old 01-04-2007, 04:41 PM

get teh 2nd opinion

from outside their office -- a differnt pratce all together --

otherwise you will jsut get a rubber stamp.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#12 of 12 Old 01-04-2007, 05:21 PM

I got a 2nd OP at 38 weeks with DD and was glad I did.. I did not have low fluid like the Dr. said.. you hire them and its there job to work for you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page