Starting maternity leave? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 25 Old 01-05-2007, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
 
FireflyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How soon/how late are any of you working-outside-home mamas taking maternity leave? A co-worker raised her eyebrows when I said I was working right up until, so I was just curious.

I don't get a whole lot of leave, which is why I want to maximize the time actually spent with, you know, a baby.
FireflyFan is offline  
#2 of 25 Old 01-05-2007, 09:56 PM
 
bikruca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
last time I left about 1 month early..

this time 3 months early (but I am on short term disability so it doesn't cut into my year of leave)

I would say whenever you feel like it... I couldn't be working right now, but I could have worked longer last time I think
bikruca is offline  
#3 of 25 Old 01-05-2007, 10:32 PM
 
MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Great Lakes State
Posts: 3,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sneaking in from January to announce that I went on leave today!! I am 38wk3days. I was going to work up until the end but that idea went out the window around Christmas time. I am just too tired to keep this up! My m/w is writing me off on short-term disability, so the time is not deducted from my leave. I do, however, work for a big 10 university, and get amazing leave period (whatever short-term disability I am written for plus an additional 6 weeks parental leave, all paid). So I am feeling very fortunate. FWIW, most of the women I know have worked up to their due date/delivery date or taken leave on short-term disability at 38 weeks.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!
 

MacKinnon is offline  
#4 of 25 Old 01-05-2007, 11:38 PM
 
anabellee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 2,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i worked up until 4 days before ds1 was born. i would have stayed longer but we had a client with escalating behavior problems and it wasn't safe for me to stay. i haven't worked at all since then but i do go to school full time and intend on going to class right up until ds2 arrives

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
anabellee is offline  
#5 of 25 Old 01-06-2007, 01:28 AM
 
PixelDust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Julieanne is planning to work until the baby comes or as long as she can. She also works for a Big Ten university, but unfortunately doesn't have short term disability so whenever she leaves, her twelve weeks' unpaid leave starts. I know it is getting harder for her, and I so wish she could just rest these next few weeks until the baby comes.

--
Let your life speak. -- George Fox
PixelDust is offline  
#6 of 25 Old 01-06-2007, 01:55 AM
 
lindsayjean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will be working until the first week in Feb. I actually really don't mind working- I have a feeling I would get really bored and anxious for her to hurry up and be born if I had all day to sit around and do nothing. But I *am* MOST DEFINITELY looking forward to Feb and not working anymore. We will be moving 3 months after baby is born, so I plan not to work for quite a while after the birth, so I guess I'm getting my "fill" now.
lindsayjean is offline  
#7 of 25 Old 01-06-2007, 02:05 AM
 
DreamsInDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 13,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started my leave as of the 1st. My EDD is 31 days from today.
DreamsInDigital is offline  
#8 of 25 Old 01-06-2007, 02:13 AM
 
bikruca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how much leave do mamas usually get where you all live?

Just curious..
bikruca is offline  
#9 of 25 Old 01-06-2007, 02:41 AM
 
PixelDust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Federal legislation here in the US guarantees most workers twelve weeks' unpaid parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child. There are some restrictions, though, so not everyone qualifies; for example, you have to be at your job for a year before you qualify. Some employers offer a period of paid leave, and the length varies widely. The benefits Julie gets from her employer are otherwise wonderful, but there's no short term disability and only two of her twelve maternity leave weeks will be paid.

--
Let your life speak. -- George Fox
PixelDust is offline  
#10 of 25 Old 01-06-2007, 08:39 AM
 
mamabear&babybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I stay home now but with dd my water broke at work.
mamabear&babybear is offline  
#11 of 25 Old 01-06-2007, 11:42 AM
 
bikruca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelDust View Post
Federal legislation here in the US guarantees most workers twelve weeks' unpaid parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child. There are some restrictions, though, so not everyone qualifies; for example, you have to be at your job for a year before you qualify. Some employers offer a period of paid leave, and the length varies widely. The benefits Julie gets from her employer are otherwise wonderful, but there's no short term disability and only two of her twelve maternity leave weeks will be paid.
12 weeks unpaid?

wow that is pretty tough, I can't imagine how most families manage with that???

God I am stressed about our finances once we go on leave and it is about 100 times better than that.
bikruca is offline  
#12 of 25 Old 01-06-2007, 12:22 PM
 
Azza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I only get 12 weeks unpaid leave so am planning to work up until the baby comes or until I get too uncomfortable. We dont get the option of disability leave here.
Azza is offline  
#13 of 25 Old 01-06-2007, 12:39 PM
 
Gray's Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am planning on working up until my due date (5th or so) and then guage how I am feeling then.

I don't have disability, so when I start my unpaid leave, it is just that, unpaid. I do work for a public school system, so they have been garnishing my pay since school started so I won't go without pay, technically.

I will take 60 school days off, which is the 12 weeks, but since Spring Break is in there, I really get 13 weeks I do have to return in May to finish my contract, then a few more months off, then back to work. I only work part time, so that is a blessing also.

My biggest fear is that my contract won't be renewed since they (the school) is not able to find a sub for me & the classroom. I am NOT covered under FMLA since I work PT & I have no back up plan. My DH & I decided that if I am *released* then we'll just go from there. We are number crunching to see if I have to return in the fall, but I want to make that choice & not have my boss make it for me

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Gray's Mommy is offline  
#14 of 25 Old 01-06-2007, 02:47 PM
 
PixelDust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikruca View Post
12 weeks unpaid?

wow that is pretty tough, I can't imagine how most families manage with that???
I imagine that a lot of the families who are eligible for twelve weeks don't take it all because they can't afford the cut in household income.

--
Let your life speak. -- George Fox
PixelDust is offline  
#15 of 25 Old 01-06-2007, 03:53 PM
 
DreamsInDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 13,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I work in Oregon and the Oregon Family Leave Act also allows a pregnant woman up to 12 weeks unpaid leave for "pregnancy disability" which is what I'm taking now. Once the baby is born, it will change over to my 12 weeks "parental leave" so I could take up to 24 weeks off.
But I'll actually be quitting my job at the end of my maternity leave anyway.
DreamsInDigital is offline  
#16 of 25 Old 01-06-2007, 07:03 PM
 
Jowchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am starting my leave on January 31st. At about 38 weeks. My first came around 41 weeks so I am hoping that leaves me in the clear. I live in Ontario Canada and we receive 6 weeks fully paid mat leave plus one year paid mat leave from the government but the money we receive (although much better than nothing at all) is about 50% of my normal income.
This is going to be the first time that I take advantage of the full mat leave benefits and I am really looking forward to spending that time with my new little one.
Jowchar is offline  
#17 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
 
FireflyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks everyone, for the replies.

Forgot to mention that I've not been at this job for very long, so I don't qualify for FMLA. Otherwise, I would gladly take 12 wks unpaid leave, starting when I gave birth. Well actually, if I had 12 weeks leave, I might allow for a little wiggle room and take off on my due date for a rest, knowing baby probably wouldn't come for another week.

But now that I only have 6, I feel compelled to spend every possible day off with the baby. It's tearing me up inside having to leave him/her at 6 weeks! so young!!!! (I was a SAHM for the first two, but then got started on my career, and this one is an "Ooops! baby" albeit much-loved already.)
FireflyFan is offline  
#18 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 01:57 PM
 
ryleigh'smama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started my mat leave at 36 weeks. In CA you get short term disability for the weeks before birth and that usually starts at 36 weeks (2/3 pay which is supplemented for me by my employer with my PTO/sick leave so I get full pay), then you get 6 weeks paid disablility after baby is born, and 6 weeks paid family leave after that. Both are 2/3 of your pay, and at my work it is supplemented until you run out of PTO so you get full pay. You can also take an additional 6 weeks of unpaid family leave, but most people don't because they don't have the PTO/sick time to cover it and then not only are you not getting paid, but you have to pay your employer to keep your health benefits...yuck.
ryleigh'smama is offline  
#19 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 04:14 PM
 
Gray's Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireflyFan View Post
Thanks everyone, for the replies.

Forgot to mention that I've not been at this job for very long, so I don't qualify for FMLA. Otherwise, I would gladly take 12 wks unpaid leave, starting when I gave birth. Well actually, if I had 12 weeks leave, I might allow for a little wiggle room and take off on my due date for a rest, knowing baby probably wouldn't come for another week.

But now that I only have 6, I feel compelled to spend every possible day off with the baby. It's tearing me up inside having to leave him/her at 6 weeks! so young!!!! (I was a SAHM for the first two, but then got started on my career, and this one is an "Ooops! baby" albeit much-loved already.)
I would stick with working as long as you can & then using your 6 weeks after the birth. FMLA stinks sometimes doesn't it? I don't qualify for FMLA since I am part time, but have been working for this district for 4 years now. My job doesn't have to allow me to take the 12 weeks off, so I have a feeling they are going to push for a release of contract for me.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Gray's Mommy is offline  
#20 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 07:24 PM
 
bdoody11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perpetual Bliss
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
Sneaking in from January to announce that I went on leave today!! I am 38wk3days. I was going to work up until the end but that idea went out the window around Christmas time. I am just too tired to keep this up! My m/w is writing me off on short-term disability, so the time is not deducted from my leave. I do, however, work for a big 10 university, and get amazing leave period (whatever short-term disability I am written for plus an additional 6 weeks parental leave, all paid). So I am feeling very fortunate. FWIW, most of the women I know have worked up to their due date/delivery date or taken leave on short-term disability at 38 weeks.

I'm working right up until birth, but also work for a Big 10 university. If things get too unbearable at the end I will put in for short-term disabiliity. Here's to hoping that my little babe decides to come out on his or her own!

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

bdoody11 is offline  
#21 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 07:26 PM
 
bdoody11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perpetual Bliss
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
I work in Oregon and the Oregon Family Leave Act also allows a pregnant woman up to 12 weeks unpaid leave for "pregnancy disability" which is what I'm taking now. Once the baby is born, it will change over to my 12 weeks "parental leave" so I could take up to 24 weeks off.
But I'll actually be quitting my job at the end of my maternity leave anyway.
I would love 24 weeks off. That sounds like heaven! I'm dreading going back at 12 (although part-time for 4 months).

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

bdoody11 is offline  
#22 of 25 Old 01-09-2007, 12:37 AM
 
bikruca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowchar View Post
I am starting my leave on January 31st. At about 38 weeks. My first came around 41 weeks so I am hoping that leaves me in the clear. I live in Ontario Canada and we receive 6 weeks fully paid mat leave plus one year paid mat leave from the government but the money we receive (although much better than nothing at all) is about 50% of my normal income.
This is going to be the first time that I take advantage of the full mat leave benefits and I am really looking forward to spending that time with my new little one.
I am also in Ontario. I have been on my employer's short term disability program since Oct. and will we starting EI when the babies are born. SO 52 weeks for DH and I to share, at approx 55% of our salary. We are thinking he will take approx 2 months at the start with me and I will take the rest.. so 10 months total.. I doubt I will go back to work though, at least not full time.. 3 kids in daycare???
bikruca is offline  
#23 of 25 Old 01-09-2007, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
 
FireflyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray's Mommy View Post
FMLA stinks sometimes doesn't it? I don't qualify for FMLA since I am part time, but have been working for this district for 4 years now. My job doesn't have to allow me to take the 12 weeks off, so I have a feeling they are going to push for a release of contract for me.
That's awful, Gray's Mommy!! : I hope that that doesn't happen... (unless it's something you're secretly wishing for, that is). Are you stuck with 6 weeks off as well? I hope they will honor all of the time you've put into the company, part-time or no....
FireflyFan is offline  
#24 of 25 Old 01-09-2007, 04:55 PM
 
kaybee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Up North
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm officially taking 6 weeks off and then returning ~75% time. But I'm actually going to ease back in, keeping up with email correspondence before mat leave is over and slowly working up to ~30 hours/week, at home, with baby, and hopefully with occasional help from my ds's daycare provider. In July, I may drop back some until next fall semester starts.

My schedule is flexible as are my work hours, but I have things that have to get done in constricted time frames (a short course to arrange for late May, a report due at the end of June, applications to deal with in May and June, etc.), and I'm the only one who can do them. I'll play it by ear
kaybee is offline  
#25 of 25 Old 01-09-2007, 05:38 PM
 
Gray's Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireflyFan View Post
That's awful, Gray's Mommy!! : I hope that that doesn't happen... (unless it's something you're secretly wishing for, that is). Are you stuck with 6 weeks off as well? I hope they will honor all of the time you've put into the company, part-time or no....

Nope, I am holding out for my measley 60 school days (12 weeks).

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Gray's Mommy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off