got anything in the freezer?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-07-2007, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I only had a tiny freezer when DD#1 was born, so now I excited with my new freezer and want to get it stocked. Actually it is pretty full right now, but mostly with stuff that needs to be cooked, and this huge bag of frozen fruit from the online costco. So far I made
blackbean and sweet potato chili,
empanadas
mushroom and barley soup
cookie dough (but that was mainly b/c I was too tired to finish baking the cookies )

I still have a bunch of meat and want to make some more soups or stews. I am thinking filling one bowl type of meals.

So anybody else??
Kathryn
#2 of 25 Old 01-07-2007, 08:00 PM

I plan on making bannana bread this week...My mother has plans.. though I was just going to buy most of it premade :
#3 of 25 Old 01-07-2007, 09:59 PM

I've got a freezer full of good intentions does that count? I stocked my freezer, so I wouldn't have to cook that last week or so that we were living Portland. The thought of doing it again makes me tired, but I had hoped to at least have a few things in there. Oh well, there's still time I guess.
#4 of 25 Old 01-07-2007, 10:09 PM

So far I've only made one big batch of enchiladas -- and we ate those! I have plans to make a few things, and a list of non-perishable things I want to stock up in the pantry. I'm hoping to get some of that done this week, but we'll see.

--
Let your life speak. -- George Fox
#5 of 25 Old 01-07-2007, 10:39 PM

Oh boy. I've been taking this freezer thing as far as I can handle it. Mainly because DH can only make grilled cheese and MIL....((((((((shudder)))))))). Well, she means well, but salt is like a four letter word in her world. Wait, it is a four letter word, whaddya know?

Anyhoo, this is my stash so far. Some have recipes I can share, so feel free to ask.

-pea soup
- barbeques (my Mom made)
-veggie lasagna
-meat lasgana (my Mom made)
-beef stroganoff (hope those mushrooms fair well-it was a great batch)
-guacamole
-chicken enchiladas
-marinara sauce
-roasted veggoe soup
-chili
-chicken noodle soup
-shredded roast beef
-santa anna tortillas (vegetarian)

Then I also have been making breads and muffins for quick snack needs
banana nut, blueberry that kind of stuff

-
#6 of 25 Old 01-07-2007, 10:44 PM

How are y'all storing your frozen breads and muffins? Do they stay fresh and not freezer burned if you wrap them in layers of tin foil?

--
Let your life speak. -- George Fox
#7 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 12:21 AM

OMG, I have no idea. I just wrapped them in a freezer bag after they were room temp and pushed as much air out as I could. Maybe I should double wrap?
I put 3 per single baggie.
#8 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 12:27 AM

Nothing in the freezer yet, I'm really behind on everything else for the baby too.... anyone know what happened to that thread of good recipes for freezing? We should bump it...

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
#9 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Made a beef stew to freeze this afternoon. By next week I'm hoping to have a big lasagna done with maybe this turkey sausage to put away. Ha, I guess I'll have to get to defrosting the big freezer just to have space to put stuff. I hadn't even thought of baked goods, but that might not be a bad idea. I think I'm gonna stock up on some pre-made convenience foods for the kids too though.
#10 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 03:36 AM

we keep eating everything i put in the freezer... this week we have visitors so i have to cook up some stuff before they arrive.

i think there's a bowl of moroccan lentil soup in there. i was thinking of what i'd like to bring to the clinic for after the birth. i'll have to stay for a couple of days at least, i imagine. but i might do a stirfry of carrots, broccoli, peppers, potatoes and bulghar in toasted sesame oil for after the birth. i was ravenous after ds and i don't think this clinic believes in vegetarians
#11 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 04:00 AM

I have the tiniest freezer imaginable right nope but if I didn't I would be making doubles of the dinners I make now. Stew, lasagna, spaghetti. A friend of mine made me the best chicken pot pie last time but she wouldn't give up the recipe! I would definitely find something like that.

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#12 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 12:26 PM

I have some Turkey Stew that will feed dh for awhile (it's in smaller batches, but there is alot of it!) Dd might be willing to eat it. I hated it, so I won't, lol.

I have a couple pieces of Lasagna into individule servings for me and dd when dh eats the TS.

I can't think of anything else in there and I'm too lazy to get up and check.

Mama of three.

#13 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 02:39 PM

Yippie!!!! This is the best part, you cook for 2 weeks them you don't cook for a month! With DS I had 30 dinners in the freezer and lots of muffins. It was the perfect amount. I love not having to think about dinner all the time! This is what I do: For 2 weeks I make triple dinners one to eat and 2 to freeze, I put everything for one meal in a paper bag, write on the bag what dinner it is and how long it takes to cook. For example last night I made potato casserole and steamed broccoli., so in the bag is a casserole, freezer bag of broccoli and INSTRUCTIONS for someone to cook. I just stack paper bags in the freezer and it makes it so fun and easy. I also make muffins and waffles and freeze them in the good gallon freezer bags and they will last up to 6 months. If you buy the GOOD bags the food will last and it will not have the freezer taste. This is my meal plan, 2 of each:

- Chicken noodle soup
- Teriyaki / brown rice
- Zucchini lasagna / homemade bread
- Tacos
- Enchiladas
- Spaghetti / homemade bread
- Chili
- Split pea soup
- Chicken tortilla soup / tortilla chips
- Beef stew / cornbread
- Beef and beans / cornbread
- Meatloaf / mashed potatoes / steamed broccoli
- Potato casserole / steamed broccoli
- Stir fry and rice
- Sweat and sour chicken and rice

The DC and I have so much fun doing all the food prep and it is their way of helping me get the baby "out"!

Sorry it was so long I just get excited about food prep!
#14 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 02:46 PM

Anyone want to share a good empanada or enchilada recipe?
#15 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 03:32 PM

Does the spagetti need to be undercooked? I made some last night and its in a freezer bag can I stick it in the freezer ( sauce is one the noodles etc...)
#16 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 04:18 PM

Right now I have a meat lasagna & some cranberry bread. I am going to go shopping this weekend & have a cooking fest along with

With our first son, we would have starved if it weren't for my mom! All my friends were out of town since he was born on 12-22 & no one brought us food (like they had planned too). I am planning ahead this time around!

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#17 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1gg1e View Post
Does the spagetti need to be undercooked? I made some last night and its in a freezer bag can I stick it in the freezer ( sauce is one the noodles etc...)

Are the noodles and sauce mixed? It might be mushy, but I would give it a try. I normally freeze noodles and sauce in different containers, but we are glutten free so rice noodles are different.
#18 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggijessie View Post
Are the noodles and sauce mixed? It might be mushy, but I would give it a try. I normally freeze noodles and sauce in different containers, but we are glutten free so rice noodles are different.
Cool! I'll pop it in the freezer and try it... worth a shot!
#19 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy View Post
Nothing in the freezer yet, I'm really behind on everything else for the baby too.... anyone know what happened to that thread of good recipes for freezing? We should bump it...
have you read here?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=522096

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#20 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 05:56 PM

I have the baby's birthday cake (4 chocolate lava cakes) in the freezer, but no actual FOOD other than the stuff that's already there for other reasons.

But tonight I'll be making an extra-large stash of spaghetti sauce and bolognese sauce for later.
#21 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 05:59 PM

So far there's a

-shepards pie (without the potato)
-pulled pork
-beef & veggie stew
-spaghetti sauces X 2
-meatballs
-lasagna
-banana bread (and there will be more of that!)

I hope to stash a few more things, including soups (my fave) and some more baking. I have the urge to bake, but am resisting eating it for now (due to the sugar) so I bake and freeze right away. (I don't think dp cares for this, he would rather eat all the baking now, but he'll appreciate it later.)

mum to a crew...
#22 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1gg1e View Post
For left over pasta in the fridge, I keep the pasta and sauce seperate. I reheat the sauce in the microwave or stovetop, but the pasta I reheat by running under very hot water in the sink. It keeps it from over cooking or mushing up. I've never tried freezing cooked pasta, but if I were, I might try the same technique. I never cook pasta past al dente in the first place, so there's a little room for more cooking here if it takes more when frozen perhaps. I guess I'd aim for undercooking a bit if the sauce were on the pasta to be reheated.
#23 of 25 Old 01-11-2007, 04:43 PM

Ok, these aren't the healthiest enchiladas but they are EASY and freeze really well... I'd take them to college in ziplocks... we eat ours with fresh tortillas or corn chips like a big dip.

Anyhow, take a 9x13 casserole dish, and in it mix 1/2 lb colby (shredded), a cup of your favorite salsa, and cooked chicken (or whatever meat/bean) - shoot, I think 2 cups but I can't remember, I'll check and post it... usually we bake a whole chicken and eat it for dinner and use whatever is left for enchiladas.

Mix up, and then over the top dump 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, bake at 350 for 30 min or until bubbly... or freeze first and heat up later.

-----------------
In the freezer right now I have 2 meals of tortilla soup (easy and easy and yum) and I need to make

-spag sauce
-meatballs
-chicken broth

and I need more meal ideas. We are dairy/soy free because of dd's food allergies, and nearly everything I know to freeze has dairy in it. Stew is good except the potatoes don't freeze well...

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#24 of 25 Old 01-11-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa2976 View Post
and I need more meal ideas. We are dairy/soy free because of dd's food allergies, and nearly everything I know to freeze has dairy in it. Stew is good except the potatoes don't freeze well...
Chicken and meatball soup is a stand-by in my family - we haul it out for new babies and funerals. Freezes great, reheats easy and seems to get better as it sits, lol. Easy to make too - only reason I haven't made it is I expect my grandmother will bring it, lol. Boil a chicken or parts in a pot (big,) covered with water, skim it (the fat,) add celery, onions, carrots, canned tomatoes (whole, crushed or diced,) season with salt, pepper, garlic (maybe thyme?) cook a while (hour?) pick the bones out if you like, meanwhile make small meatballs, (.5in, ground beef, an egg per pund of beef, and enough italian breadcrumbs to make the meatballs stick. Drop meatballs into top of soup. Cook until meatballs done.

ETA: You can boil the chicken in chicken stock or partly chicken stock if you rather
#25 of 25 Old 01-12-2007, 12:19 AM

Unfortunatly I can not stand to eat left overs so all we have is meat, veggies and lots and lots of blueberries. Luckily DH will be off for 3 weeks and can and will cook us some great food!

Mama to Peanut 9, little dude,and Due 2/22/07!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page