OOOOOOOOOo The INSANE itching - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-07-2007, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is driving my too madness...Ihave been itching throughout my pregnancy, it usually comes and goes, will last a day or so, then go away for a week or 2, then come back.. but lately for the last week ( non stop ), i have been itching alot more then in the past many weeks.. I get this prickly feeling on my skin, legs, arms, tummy, face.( THEN i START ITICHING LIKE MAD... and It just is so awful... Does anyone know if I can apply something, or use something too help me with this itching?
#2 of 11 Old 01-08-2007, 12:24 AM

I don't have much for advice, but I have been saving this link in case I started having problems. Perhaps it can help?
PUPPPS relief
#3 of 11 Old 01-08-2007, 12:26 AM

If the itching isnt accompanied by a rash you should check out Cholestasis of Pregnancy, also known as Obstetric Cholestasis www.itchymoms.com has info. there on it and it is always a good idea to rule this out as it can be a very serious condition.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 11 Old 01-08-2007, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Well I'll be... I do not have a rash, and funny thing is up until lately most of my itching was generalized on the palms and soles of my feet, would keep me awake at night for hrs... I was tested for this ( Cholestasis ) very early on cause of the itching, and was told my tests came back normal. My sister had this too with both her pregnancies, they just watched her... this is my 4th, and the first time I have ever itched in any one of my pregnancies..
#5 of 11 Old 01-08-2007, 01:14 AM

: I would ask for a retest just to be sure.
I had it undiagnosed because I thought pg woman just itched. I feel very fortunate dd came out ok. Tho see was born jaundiced and spent 3 days under billi lights.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 11 Old 01-08-2007, 10:51 AM

I have cholestasis, I had it diagnosed with DD but self-diagnosed this time. So basically I am taking it into my hands and cutting out all fat/cholesterol which is key, and taking dandelion, milk thistle, chlorophyll, and tons of fruits and veggies. I notice a huge difference in the itching when I eat no fat. Give it a try mama, I know how miserable it can be, with DD I thought I had athletes foot for a little while, then a yeast infection, lice, dandruff, you name it I thought I had it b/c it was such intense itching. I am determined not to go through the itching or an induction again. Good luck!
#7 of 11 Old 01-08-2007, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

I bought some Milk Thistle a couple months back cause I was itching, but never took it.. but last night I took 600mgs of it, and the itching was gone with in an hr, and I finally got about 5 hrs of sleep *STRAIGHT* last night I am going too start taking this every day now, it really seemed too help me alot! Thank you all so much!
#8 of 11 Old 01-09-2007, 02:33 AM

MCKMN,
I urge you to go and get more blood tests done. A bile acid blood test and a liver function test (LFT). I had obstetric cholestasis which they tested for throughout the last few weeks of my pregnancy and they came out negative. Keep testing and testing as my first born Emily was fine on the Monday ( I was 37 wks and 4 days) in the obs rooms at my appointment and my water broke the next day and I went into hospital and there was no heart beat. She was born still 24 hours after I had seen my ob and everything was meant to be ok. When they took my blood at the hospital after Emily was born they had jumped from 7 the day before (an average score) to 67 the day I had my angel Emily. She was perfectly formed. 7 pound 7 ounces and 52 cm long but she died of asphyixiation. I would not want anyone to go through the pain of losing their child like we did especially when a test can be done to see if it is alright. Mine was a freak occurrence as generally the bile acids go up slowly but mine went from average to extreme within one day. But I can tell you the itching was driving me insane too. So please I beg you to go and get tests done. I would not wish going through the death of a baby on my worse enemy. We lost our angel Emily in July 2005 and now have a new hope on the way due in 4 weeks (around 8th Feb). I am being induced early at 37 weeks to make sure everything is fine. It has been a very anxious pregnancy and I am right at the stage where I got very itchy with Emily. I keep getting blood tests and watch out for any ithcing. Any little itch I get nervous about. But I am hopeful that this pregnancy and baby will be fine. I hope I have been of some help and not scared you too much but just for your sake go and get tested as I would hate for anything to happen to you or bubs.

Luv Prue
#9 of 11 Old 01-09-2007, 03:25 PM

Not from your DDC but had to reply.

Most doctors will only run liver function tests, PLEASE make sure they do a bile acid test which is the true indicator of cholestasis. I had cholestasis during my PG w/ Ethan. My bile acid test came back high (44) but my liver tests always came back normal.

I do have a healthy happy baby today. But I also had intense acupuncture as well as taking chinese herbs & completely eliminating most fat & all dairy. I never did stop itching & went in for weekly bile acid tests & NSTs.

Milk thistle is good, but dandelion in combo w/ the milk thistle is even better.

Blessings to you.
#10 of 11 Old 01-11-2007, 01:11 AM

Absolutely INSIST on the SERUM BILE ACID TEST! Do not let your doc assure you that everything came back normal, they usually just do a billirubin count, metabolic panel, and liver function test. These always came out normal for me, even when the one test that matters was off the chart!!! Docs are generally uninformed about this, thanks to years of simply ignoring mamas complaints of itching. Many angels have been lost at close to full term.
I was lucky. We found out all this late with DS (after more than one doc said I was fine!) I went for the induction when I realized the risks, even though we were at term by that point anyway, and he probably would have arrived in a few days.
Now here I am again itch, itch, itch.....
#11 of 11 Old 01-11-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em'sMummy View Post
MCKMN,
She was born still 24 hours after I had seen my ob and everything was meant to be ok.
I just had to post again to say your post made me cry. This condition going constantly undiagnosed and mishandled makes me so upset. Love to you and your little one on the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page