No shower.... water labor/birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-08-2007, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm birthing in the hospital and the laboring rooms don't have showers. : I had planned on taking a shower when it got intense and staying in there a long time where I couldn't be bugged. Well, now that I know they don't have a shower I am wondering if I shouldn't request a water birth instead. I'm not assuming I would want to push in the water, but I couldn't really mention that because they don't want to set up the tub for just water labor..... I want them to have a good view of my perinium when pushing because I had a 4th degree tear and I want the midwife to guide me through to prevent tearing as much as possible. Should I request a labor tub? Thoughts?

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-08-2007, 01:19 AM

I think we're in the same area -- C-U? Which hospital are you planning on using? We were *so* disappointed to learn that Carle's new maternity floor won't be open in time for our birth.

--
Let your life speak. -- George Fox
#3 of 8 Old 01-08-2007, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelDust View Post
I think we're in the same area -- C-U? Which hospital are you planning on using? We were *so* disappointed to learn that Carle's new maternity floor won't be open in time for our birth.
Oh!! Now looking at your signature, I "know" you.... you're on my crunchy group list

Yes I am more than disappointed.... I'm seriously peeved that I wasn't informed months ago because frankly I would have gotten a new care provider and a new hospital then. My last hospital had showers in the labor rooms AND recovery. I'm hoping this birth goes well, but last recovery after my 4th degree tear I cried the whole 6 feet to take a shower and my husband had to help me the whole time. I can't freaking imagine having to wait in line for a community shower down the hall in recovery. I'm annoyed. Really annoyed. : I've never heard of such a ghetto hospital. I plan on talking to them about early release for me AND the baby as a result, despite being GBS positive. I don't think they're going to like me. :

#4 of 8 Old 01-08-2007, 01:38 AM

It's pretty annoying. Our Doula told us that there is a jacuzzi tub available, if you think that would be any help at all. I think Julieanne is still planning to request the birth pool, and we're hoping to labor at home for a while before going to the hospital, so hopefully we can all just make the best of it! A private room was a big thing for us. Now that the new floor won't be finished, Carle doesn't have private rooms, and theoretically Julieanne's roommate could kick me out! I think if I were you, I would go ahead and request the birth pool; even if you planned to push in it, there's no guarantee you'd want to when the time came, so I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping your options open!

--
#5 of 8 Old 01-08-2007, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, there's one jacuzzi.... it could be unavailable though if someone else gets there first. Also, I'm not sure they would appreciate my walking down the hallway completely naked and by the time I got out I doubt I would be in the mood for anyone to try to put clothes on me .... have you toured it yet? You can call and get a tour just about any time.

Our second choice would have been Decatur's hospital.... we live out of town, its a 45 minute drive to either hospital for us. :

#6 of 8 Old 01-08-2007, 05:25 PM

Can you rent your own & bring it to the hospital with you??? I know a few moms who have done that (doula clients).

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#7 of 8 Old 01-08-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy View Post
Yeah, there's one jacuzzi.... it could be unavailable though if someone else gets there first. Also, I'm not sure they would appreciate my walking down the hallway completely naked and by the time I got out I doubt I would be in the mood for anyone to try to put clothes on me .... have you toured it yet? You can call and get a tour just about any time.

Our second choice would have been Decatur's hospital.... we live out of town, its a 45 minute drive to either hospital for us. :

That's a pretty long drive either way! We'll be keeping our fingers crossed that this mild winter doesn't turn into a mess in February. We haven't toured the hospital yet, but we're planning to. We just keep forgetting to call.

--
#8 of 8 Old 01-08-2007, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

It is a long drive.... had I been a lot closer I would have considered homebirth. But 45 minutes is too far for me to feel safe with should something go awry.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page