Who's using a convertible rather than infant car seat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 01-08-2007, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After doing some reading and thinking, I am wondering if it is a better idea just to use a convertible Britax carseat rather than the infant seat and moving up to a convertible later. I plan to use a sling w/ my baby anyhow, and don't plan on the stroller system thingy, so am I on the right track w/ spending once and having a safe (non LATCH) seat for my new baby?
#2 of 27 Old 01-08-2007, 07:10 PM

My mom just bought me a Britax Roundabout. I hate those flimsy little bucket seats. A lady that we know that owns a childrens shop told me how she refused to use those for her dds when she saw a women walking with one through a parking lot and the handle broke right off and her baby fell to the ground. Also if you forget to put the handle down when in the car and are in an accident your child could be literally cut in half :. Did anyone see the new safety report on them? That all but two tested were completely unsafe.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#3 of 27 Old 01-08-2007, 07:18 PM

We've planning on doing the Britax roundabout all along because it just made more sense both financially and lifestyle wise...we live in a city and don't use our car that often so we probably wouldn't use an infant seat enough before they grew out of it...

Also, the convertible fits more with our values... in terms of minimizing our household "stuff factor" and our desire to invest our money in well made things that are well designed and most useful for the longest-term possible...

We have several other friends, btw, who have done the convertible over the infant carrier, and have had no problems at all.

Mama to Charlotte (2/14/07) and Julian (11/27/10) both born at home.
#4 of 27 Old 01-08-2007, 07:45 PM

Yep we are using a convertible also. I'm going to buy another marathon ( or what ever the bigger one is : ) after the baby is born...thats when we get our taxes back we don't plan on going anywhere soon after birth and if we do we have a cheapy back up that DD can sit in that in uncomfortable for small babies.
#5 of 27 Old 01-08-2007, 07:53 PM

We already have an infant seat so we are going to use that for a while & then move to the Britax we are buying.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#6 of 27 Old 01-08-2007, 08:23 PM

Has anyone seen any research that says that one is safer than the other for newborns and infants less than 20 lbs?

I really would like to ditch the bucket seat we used with our son when he was an infant and just use a convertable the second time around as long as they are equally as safe for infants.

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
#7 of 27 Old 01-08-2007, 08:41 PM

I have always used a Britax Roundabout. I hate those bucket things. Just yesterday actually we got it out and looked it over. I did order a new cover and belt buckle though as it is getting old and grungy (it is 7yo after all!). For those who way already have one, you can order replacement parts pretty cheaply from www.britaxusa.com

You do need to remember with a convertible though, that baby is newborns are not as well cushioned as they are in a bucket. Make sure that they have good head and body support when they are in it for a while.
#8 of 27 Old 01-08-2007, 09:16 PM

Baby bean will be going right into a Britax Roundabout, just like dd did. Actually dd is still in it at 2 years old (though I realized yesterday that she's a little too tall for it ) Thankfully, we ordered her a Regent on Saturday and it should be here in 2-6 weeks (course I'm due in 6 weeks...)

Mama of three.

#9 of 27 Old 01-08-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKalena View Post
Has anyone seen any research that says that one is safer than the other for newborns and infants less than 20 lbs?

I really would like to ditch the bucket seat we used with our son when he was an infant and just use a convertable the second time around as long as they are equally as safe for infants.
They are equally as safe, if not safer. I was told this by a carseat safety technician who absolutely ABHORS "baby buckets..." he said that so many people use them improperly (don't put the handle down, pull the canopy too far down, don't check the base every time for stability) that they are like little baby death traps unless used ABSOLUTELY properly. This goes for any carseat, but it seems so many parents don't know the top bar is supposed to be DOWN at all times, or where the chest clip is supposed to be, or to put the canopy in the right place.

To the OP: we got Roundabouts too... I wanted Marathons but they wouldn't fit in our SUV along with DD's Marathon (when the twins come, we're going to have three carseats in a row!) DD has been in a convertible since 2 months old and had no problems, and I hate baby buckets.

full time, single, slightly soggy WOHM to Juliet (12.31.2004 @ 36w5d) and Willow & Adam (2.22.2007 @ 39w5d, HBAC transfer) and... expecting my little womb warrior Eowyn Susanne in September
#10 of 27 Old 01-08-2007, 09:47 PM

I have both, we used the carrier with DS until he was about 5 months old, when he outgrew it in length. I will use the carrier again with this baby until the baby is too big for it (since my son got so long so fast, I'm thinking I just make tall babies). It is SO nice to be able to put the baby in a nice warm car seat in Michigan in the middle of winter! DS is still using his Britax Roundabout and when he outgrows it, the baby will get it. I think we'll wind up with about 6 car seats by the time everyone is finished with them! DH likes to have one in his car so we've currently got 3 of them.
#11 of 27 Old 01-09-2007, 12:47 AM

we have 2 marathon's and i love them. so worth the money. we do have the snug ride baby bucket (the one that passed the crash tests) as well but i don't know how often we'll use it. we always put ds in the sling and he hated the baby bucket so we switched to a convertible at only 2mths. we do put the head rest/supports in there though to keep the babe from flopping his head to the sides.

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
#12 of 27 Old 01-09-2007, 02:36 AM

we are buying a carseat from the hospital then once baby can sit unassisted he/she will be put in a convertable

Jarrod & Nataleigh Est. 2004
DD Jayde 2005
DS William 2007
DD Lilleigh 2008
DS Edward 2010
DS Mikah 2012
Due July 2013
#13 of 27 Old 01-09-2007, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

So which is the better Britax for age 0-2? I read the Decathalon, but it seems that a lot of people have the Marathon and love it. I saw that the Decath reclines? I did see on the Britax site that it comes w/ an infant and toddler "pillow" to adjust to different sizes. I was thinking about getting one of those infant support systems from BRU... Not much time to figure all of this out! 4 weeks to go (until EDD)!
#14 of 27 Old 01-09-2007, 12:10 PM

Personally, if I was buying a new seat for the baby, I'd get the Boulevard. Technically, those little infant support things are bad since they aren't made by the maker and haven't been tested in the carseat. All the seats recline so that when rear-facing baby isn't sitting straight up. Then when you flip it around, you make it straight up.

Mama of three.

#15 of 27 Old 01-09-2007, 12:36 PM

Would definitely do a boulevard or marathon since they go to higher heights/weights than the roundabout. I have my daughter in a marathon and she has been in it since about 5 months (now 2 and a half). She fits as perfectly now as she did at 5 months. The best part about having a britax rearfacing is that you can tether it and get such a stable fit. That said, I will be using an infant seat with this one as long as she fits for my convenience. I am a sling/pouch/carrier wearer but my son goes to school 3 hours a day and I have to walk him in and out of the school. I am hoping to just carry the infant seat in without taking baby out.
#16 of 27 Old 01-09-2007, 12:54 PM

There is a great forum at car-seat.org where you can ask these questions.

IMO most of the convertables DON'T properly fit an average newborn very well. Even though the Britax seats say 5-65 lbs on them, I've never seen a 5-7 lb baby fit in them properly.

Dd, at 9 lbs, fit fine in the seat as a newborn... she was also 22" long...

remember for RF seats you want the straps at or below the shoulders, and the lowest setting on the convertable seats is higher than most newborns.

I LOVE our Britax Boulevard, it's the best seat ever... but I don't think I'd use it on a newborn, just because they don't quite fit right. We'll use a bucket until about 12 lbs, even though I expect this baby to be about 9 lbs too, and then move to the convertable at 2-3 months old.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#17 of 27 Old 01-09-2007, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Good points. I was wondering how a seat could really fit a newborn and a child that's 65 lbs! But I think that the cost of the infant seat plus the new conflicting evidence about infant seats has me thinking that my baby isn't going to be doing a lot of traveling the first few months anyway! And, as my doula pointed out, you put the baby right OUT THERE for people in public to invade your baby's personal space when they are propped up in a carseat on the shopping cart, etc! I think I'd rather carry the baby in a wrap in public (when I have to be in public!) than cart the heavy infant seat anyway. Thanks for the imput, I will check out carseat.org
#18 of 27 Old 01-09-2007, 02:02 PM

I had originally decided to go just with the convertible (we got the evenflow triumph as a gift), but then I noticed that a ton of infant car seats were popping up on our locoal freecycle chapter. I snatched one of those up so that we have a warm snuggly seat for this winter baby. if we don't like it, we'll just pass it on to someone else. You should check freecycle out for lots of free baby things. if you do get a used one I was told it is important to ask how old the seat is, if the base has ever been submerged in water or if the seat was ever in an accident. Good luck!
#19 of 27 Old 01-10-2007, 12:36 AM

I have pics of Ilana in Britax seats at 7 and 8#, she does not fit at all and she's 2 mos old.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#20 of 27 Old 01-10-2007, 02:34 AM

I had thought about doing this, but I think I am going to start with the "buckets" and save for 2 more marathons... It's nice n the winter to be able to get them in their seats inside and just snap them in the car... With DS I didn't use it as a carrier except from my house to the car- but that was nice.. I am thinking with winter babies I will appreciate that even more.
#21 of 27 Old 01-10-2007, 09:23 AM

My babies hae all been born on the small side around 7 lbs even and have always gone straight into the roudaout. The lowest setting on the shoulder straps was not to high, and as I said with some head support they fit just fine in it.

I even brought my first to a car safety tech to make sure and he agreed that she fit in it fine and that there were no issues.
#22 of 27 Old 01-10-2007, 03:14 PM

We'll be using a convertable seat but probably not until baby hits about 2 months or spring comes. As much as I dislike 'buckets' from an AP aspect they just make more sense in my environment. It's very difficult to take a newborn in and out of the house/stores when it's -20 to-30C and have them maintain their body temp. You can't put them in a snowsuit in either carseat for safety issues and it's near impossible to bundle/unbundle them every time you take them out of the van. I'm very careful (can you say anal?) about carseat safety and my SIL is the local public health nurse who actually inspects carseats and does carseat clinics so I always have an extra set of eyes around to check things out.

With my 2.5 year old, she outgrew her 'bucket' by the time she was 5 months old (and the middle of winter) It was not fun. I don't know what I would have done without my pouch!
#23 of 27 Old 01-10-2007, 07:54 PM

DD was born in a snowstorm in Jan. and it was bitter cold for months after she was born. We used the bucket to/from the house, and generally left it in the car and used a sling under my coat for going in/out of the store, meeting, etc. because the car didn't get bitter cold by the time we got back.

I'd sometimes sit with her in my coat while the car warmed up a bit before putting her in the seat to go home.

The person who found a bucket on freecycle - please don't use a used car seat. You don't know the history of the seat and it mnight have been in an accident or have a missing part. It would be a tragedy to have it malfunction in an accident.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#24 of 27 Old 01-10-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa2976 View Post

IMO most of the convertables DON'T properly fit an average newborn very well. Even though the Britax seats say 5-65 lbs on them, I've never seen a 5-7 lb baby fit in them properly.

remember for RF seats you want the straps at or below the shoulders, and the lowest setting on the convertable seats is higher than most newborns.
We have a Britax Marathon and DD couldn't use it at first because while it says 5-65 lbs, didn't fit her too well. Straps were above her shoulders and her head was swaying to and fro...as someone else mentioned...if the pillow isn't made by the maker of the car seat, technically it is not safe. There should be nothing inbetween your DC and the car seat besides the clothes they have on. Even recommending now to not wear heavy jackets.

We ended up using our neighbor's bucket seat (recent model) with a warm cozy thing that goes over the top like a shower cap. As someone else also mentioned, nice to bring car seat in to get warm here in cold WI...although, many days have been fine. We live in a great neighborhood that we can walk to most things. DD loves the sling and that is how we spend most of our time anyway.
#25 of 27 Old 01-11-2007, 01:17 AM

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...arseats106.jpg

You can't use a Britax if the straps are more than inch above baby's shoulders at the lowset level. That pic is of Ilana in a Roundabout at 7# and 20".

#26 of 27 Old 01-11-2007, 01:23 AM

was just having this discussion today - we got a snugride since it seems to be the most highly rated and fits our stroller should we want to use it that way, but my safety-nut SIL is getting this for her 9 month old...

http://www.elitecarseats.com/Sunshin...-Radian-80.pro

and here's coverage of a recent report, FYI: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16473196/
#27 of 27 Old 01-11-2007, 03:18 PM

I would reccomend AGAINST the Radian 80 b/c the straps aren't any higher than the Radian 65 so you're paying an extra $100 for an infant insert you won't need.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page