Strep B - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-09-2007, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I have to make the decision about getting tested for Strep B (I think?!) very soon, and I'm wondering why people do it/why they don't. As far as I understand it, if you test positive you're supposed to take antibiotics during labour, and I guess I"d like to know more about why you do/when is Strep B a concern to the baby, etc. Any input?

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 01-09-2007, 03:04 PM

:

I too have to deal with this next week.
My midwives dont seem to think its a big deal, but my backup OB does, so I have to decide...The only reason I see is so that the baby could be treated promptly...

Mama to Charlotte (2/14/07) and Julian (11/27/10) both born at home.
#3 of 15 Old 01-09-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillychiquita View Post
:

I too have to deal with this next week.
My midwives dont seem to think its a big deal, but my backup OB does, so I have to decide...The only reason I see is so that the baby could be treated promptly...
im not sure why but im gonna have it done........your little smiley made me crave pop corn.........im gonna make some right now..lol
#4 of 15 Old 01-09-2007, 03:38 PM

my midwife just did mine yesterday. I didn't know she would do it this soon (I'm almost 36 wks) but she mentioned something about me being able to come back in 2 weeks rather than one b/c I'm off on my app'ts. Anyway, it is confusing b/c even w/ the antibiotics, isn't there a chance that it won't work? or if you test +, can't you be retested later in pg to see if you are still +??
#5 of 15 Old 01-09-2007, 04:22 PM

They did mine at 35 weeks and I didnt even know they were doing it! LOL I thought they were just checking me and next thing I know they were done and said they would send it off.

I am not sure why the even tested me - I have to have a c-section so it really doesnt matter. I guess they like to be safe than sorry.

Traci
#6 of 15 Old 01-09-2007, 04:25 PM

If left untreated, there is a 1 in 100 chance (1%) that your baby will become infected with GBS (in a GBS+ mom).

That one percent is enough for me to get the test, and get antibiotics if I am positive (I was neg with my daughter, positive with my son).

I am a NICU RN, so I have seen babies with GBS. They get sick FAST. I have seen babies that were healthy in post partum... then suddenly they have a dusky spell and are rushed over to NICU half dead. That is enough to scare me. So I will be getting the GBS swab done (this Thursday I believe) and I will get A/B during labour if I am positive.

Back when I was pregnant with my daughter (14 years ago) the GBS swab was done at 28 weeks. With my son (and still the way it's done for the most part) it's done around 35 weeks. I questioned why it's done at 35 weeks and not 37 or 38 when most practitioners start doing VE. The answer was that too many women end up delivering before the test is done. So they do it at 35 weeks.
#7 of 15 Old 01-09-2007, 06:03 PM

They told me it was going to happen this last appt and then it didn't, and the doctor said make an appointment in 2 weeks and then 2 more weeks for the ultrasound, so I'm guessing he got the weeks confused because the u/s was already scheduled for 2 wks after that one. Now for the u/s my doctor's going to be doing surgery so I'm having someone else do it because it's really inconvenient to re-schedule. I don't feel comfortable asking a dr. I don't know, so... ?
But it seems like you are all having it done later, I was only like 32 weeks. So I guess there's time...
#8 of 15 Old 01-09-2007, 06:07 PM

I've never had it done but I am doing it this time. My m/w says it would be good to know in case I have a hospital transfer. If you don' t have it done and you transfer then they treat you and baby as if you do have it. I guess I'd rather know.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#9 of 15 Old 01-09-2007, 06:35 PM

I just swabbed myself this afternoon. I feel more comfortable knowing (in case of a transfer) whether or not I am positive or negative. I tested post. with our DS & got antibiotics in the IV. Honestly, it wasn't a big deal for me to get them. We'll see if I swabbed right this time...I haven't done it on myself before.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#10 of 15 Old 01-09-2007, 07:23 PM

If you are GBS pos. fixing it isn't that hard. But from what I've seen most drs don't like to retest. But if you like you can do a garlic clove vaginally for a week or so or look up other garlic therapies online.
#11 of 15 Old 01-09-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaricopaMom View Post
If left untreated, there is a 1 in 100 chance (1%) that your baby will become infected with GBS (in a GBS+ mom).
Not in your ddc, but had to respond to this. The 1% rate you state is a bit misleading. Only 0.3% will become sickened (3/1000) and 1/1000 will have a 'bad outcome'. Many of those fall into high risk groups - preterm, mom had fever in labor, etc. And yes, you can get antibiotics and have a baby **** get sickened. Routine antibiotics has cut the rate of GBS "bad outcomes" by about 50%, but it has increased the rate of other infections, but in the meantime other infections have increased, such as antibiotic reisitant E. coli.
[also an RN]
#12 of 15 Old 01-09-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2seven View Post
Not in your ddc, but had to respond to this. The 1% rate you state is a bit misleading. Only 0.3% will become sickened (3/1000) and 1/1000 will have a 'bad outcome'. Many of those fall into high risk groups - preterm, mom had fever in labor, etc. And yes, you can get antibiotics and have a baby **** get sickened. Routine antibiotics has cut the rate of GBS "bad outcomes" by about 50%, but it has increased the rate of other infections, but in the meantime other infections have increased, such as antibiotic reisitant E. coli.
[also an RN]
This is my thought also.

I got treatment last time ( switched to a more holistic OB at 38 weeks and agreed so that other provider would not induce me...ANYWAY ) and we ( my DD and I ) have had gut issues since then. DD has bad diary allergy :

I am having a HB and NO IV antibiotics.

I'm taking Vitamin C oral , garlic Vag. and probitic vag. on the days off the garlic ( 3 days on 3 days off)...

Anyway for me it's a risk I will take.. the fear factor is not a reason for me to get it done. Also Antibiotics only treat a baby already sick not late onset( even if your not + a baby can get Group B) so unless my water is broken for a long time or I am symptomatic ( like above in quoted post ) I will not transfer..

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/garlic.asp
http://www.mothering.com/articles/pr...n/group-b.html

we also had a old post on our birth club that had more great info on group B
#13 of 15 Old 01-09-2007, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

THanks for all the thoughts about this, and links to the articles. I need to ask the midwives some more specific questions, like if I test positive am I still left with choices re: taking the antibiotics? And does taking the antibiotics mean I'm no longer able to have a homebirth? I also assume I'm fairly low-risk as my other two have gone beyond their due dates, my waters have broken just before pushing the babies out and I have very minimal checks with other hands inside me - but perhaps if I do choose to test, I'll proactively try the garlic/probiotics routine beforehand!!!!!! All these decisions to make near the end:!!!!!

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#14 of 15 Old 01-10-2007, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2seven View Post
[also an RN]
Thanks for pointing that out....

I did the test but did the garlic, probiotics, and other things first before I tested just to make sure I'd test negative. I also had my husband do it as you can be reinfected by your partner from what I understand.
If I had've tested positive I don't think I would have had the antibiotics, just watched for signs of infection, etc. during labour. That is the protocol here in Victoria...I don't know waht its like in Vancouver but it should be the same!
If you go to www.gentlebirth.org and search for gbs you can get some good info!
#15 of 15 Old 01-10-2007, 01:02 AM

OK, found a bit more info
Quote:
Some studies have shown a decrease in GBS infection in newborns whose mothers accepted TV antibiotics during labor, but no decrease in the incidence of death. (8,9) Still other research has found that preventive use of antibiotics is not always effective. (10) In fact, one study found no decrease in GBS infection of deaths among newborns whose mothers were given IV antibiotics during labor. (11)

Perhaps the greatest area of concern to medical researchers, as it should be to us all, is the alarming increase in antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria. Antibiotic-resistant bacteria can cause infections in newborns that are very difficult to treat. Many large research studies have found not only resistant strains of GBS but also antibiotic-resistant strains of E. coli and other bacteria caused by the use of antibiotics in laboring women. (12-21) Some strains of GBS have been found to be resistant to treatment by all currently used forms of antibiotics. (22)

While many studies have found that giving antibiotics during labor, to women who test positive for GBS decreases the rate of GBS infection among newborns, research is beginning to show that this benefit is being outweighed by increases in other forms of infection. One study, which looked at the rates of blood infection among newborns over a six-year period, found that the use of antibiotics during labor reduced the instance of GBS infection in newborns but increased the incidence of other forms of blood infection. (23) The overall effect was that the incidence of newborn blood infection remained unchanged.
link to article here (it was originally in Mothering )

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page