Swiss Cheese Smell?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-09-2007, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have this really weird symptom that I have never even hard of before - and I thought I had heard of everything

After 3 babies my breasts are fairly large and saggy. With the pregnancy they have gotten bigger and sweat a lot underneath them. Nothing unusual there, but in the past few days I have noticed that the sweat smells like old swiss cheese. I can smell it all the time, but whenever I lift my breasts to wash underneath or put powder on it or whatever, the smell is almost overpowering.

I thought of yeast, but there is no rash or other strange thing underneath my breasts. There is no discharge or any other type of curdling stuff there. But still I can NOT get rid of the smell. Powder doesn't help, and right after they are washed they still smell. I even got deperate enough to put deoderant on it with no help.

It is getting really bad though, to the point that I am getting wary of going out in public or being near other people since I smell.

Anyone have any clue what it is, or how to get rid of it???
#2 of 5 Old 01-09-2007, 03:47 PM

It's probably just due to lack of air circulation in there. Even if there is no yeast, when sweaty skin is up against other skin all the time, it doesn't really breathe.

Do you wear a bra? If not, can you tuck some soft cotton (maybe flannel) under your breasts? There is no pain, right? No skin irritation at all?

I used to take care of a lot of elderly people, and often older ladies will have not really yeast under their breasts/abdominal folds, but it would be kind of tacky just from no air circulation to the skin.

Is your sense of smell more sensitive while pregnant? I can often smell things that DH cannot. Not saying it's your imagination, just that it might smell more strong to you than it does to someone else.

i'd try to keep some layer of fabric under your breasts so the skin isn't touching the skin below it and see if that helps...
#3 of 5 Old 01-09-2007, 04:08 PM

the cotton idea is a good one. i don't know what it is either. i've had something called tinea vericolour (or something) that was a fungus but i had little red spots. i can't remember if it smelled bad.

i agree with the sense of smell thing -- i doubt that others can smell it as well!

ugh, i just remembered the postpartum leaking of fluids from everywhere! so much sweating and oozing and yuck! ah well, at least we'll have lovely babies to cuddle.
#4 of 5 Old 01-09-2007, 06:23 PM

chlorophyll liquid? like the kind nature's sunshine makes?

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#5 of 5 Old 01-10-2007, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I do wear a bra usually, but not always. So that could definitely be part of it. I have had a really hard time finding comfy bras lately. I did order a bravada nursing bra yesterday. I only ordered one though since I was making an educated guess on the size, and won't know for sure until after I give birth. Hopefully that will be more comfortable. If not, I will put something else there.

Chlorophyll is also a good idea. There is some in my deoderant but it might just be a little. I need to get some anyway, as it is a good lactogogue and I always have problems with milk supply.

As for me just being sensitive to the smell, at first I was hoping that was all it was. But my DH mentioned it 2 nights ago. He asked me if I took a shower that day, and we were just standing in the kitchen. And yes, I had.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page