Swelling...anyone else experiencing this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-10-2007, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have had slightly swollen feet for almost 2 weeks now. But now, my left foot is gigantic and the bottom half of my left leg is big too. My son said, mom, this is bad - like a negative thing. I'm sure it is for him too b/c he has been helping me put on my socks and shoe. I can only fit one pair of shoes b/c of this one foot and it is not a professional shoe and I am still going to work. I didn't have any of these issues when I was pregnant with my son, but my friend keeps saying, "you're 30 (i will be tomorrow) now and you were 20 with your son".

Mom to DS (16), DD (7), DS (5), and excitedenergy.gif about my final baby due October 2014. Love fluffy mailheartbeat.gif, appreciate midwives, and can't wait to wear a baby againjoy.gif!
#2 of 9 Old 01-10-2007, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Usually if you are going to swell, you will swell in both feet pretty much equally. One thought - a lot of people (including myself) tend to sit with one foot tucked under them, or sit with their legs crossed - usually the same one over the other most of the time. Do you do either of these? If not, is there any pain in your calf or the back of your leg at all? Does your health care person know about it at all?

Age should not have anything to do with it. I'm 37 and both my legs swell pretty much equally, if they swell at all.
#3 of 9 Old 01-10-2007, 03:35 PM

I was just talking with my doc yesterday about swelling. He says it's so normal that they took it off the list for warning signs of pre-e. He says he was surprised I wasn't experiencing it sooner.
I had one foot go crazy when I had it pinched like Liz described. They say to put your feet up and help them drain. I don't like that position though cuz I'm struggling with posterior babies.
My M/W says alfalfa sprouts and nettle supplements also help. But I was already taking them, so who knows.

I guess I'm saying I don't worry about it. Oh, doc also told me to expect it to get worse. Thanks doc.
#4 of 9 Old 01-10-2007, 04:01 PM

Swelling is totally normal. MY OB said that if I was concerned with swelling to take my BP. IF my BP was up over 140 WITH the swelling I needed to call - and if not then no worries.

Traci
#5 of 9 Old 01-10-2007, 05:39 PM

Sorry to hear about your swelling, I know it can be really uncomfortable. I doubt it's just because you're older though. Every pregnancy is just different. I swelled terribly with my first in my feet and legs. My legs were so swollen you could push your thumb in and leave dents. None of my real shoes fit, only a couple pairs of adjustable sandals made it all the way to the end. And I wasn't even spending much time on my feet - kept them up as much as I could. Wore compression stockings too - which were a drag in the summer, lol. (Mine swelled fairly evenly, but when my mom's feet swell with a medication she's sometimes on, one swells much more than the other - I call it her balloon foot.) All that swelling, but everything else stayed entirely normal for me - low pressure and all. Now I'm 5 years older, but in this pregnancy I'm not seeing the same swelling at all. My feet and ankles have only lately at 37 weeks tended towards being puffy. And I still fit all of my shoes, only a couple pairs have gotten uncomfortable to wear although they still go on. (They'd have never even gotten *on* my feet last pregnancy!) Other things for are different too - I've gotten acne where my skin got clearer and more even before. I grow more body hair this time, where last I hardly had to shave my legs. And I've got this pelvic girdle pain I've never experienced before. But heck, at least I'm not carrying 30 lbs in water weight this time, lol. Now this time I'm carrying a boy, and the first time it was a girl. Maybe all the swelling means yours is a girl this time
#6 of 9 Old 01-10-2007, 07:15 PM

I definitely agree swelling of the legs in pregnancy is normal! What was a concern about the OP's post was that it was much worse in one foot. Usually you will swell equally.
#7 of 9 Old 01-11-2007, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom View Post
If not, is there any pain in your calf or the back of your leg at all? Does your health care person know about it at all?

Age should not have anything to do with it. I'm 37 and both my legs swell pretty much equally, if they swell at all.
No, I don't cross my legs or tuck one under the other. I do have pain in the back of my leg though. Tomorrow I'm going to see the CNM and she said they'll take my temp.

Mom to DS (16), DD (7), DS (5), and excitedenergy.gif about my final baby due October 2014. Love fluffy mailheartbeat.gif, appreciate midwives, and can't wait to wear a baby againjoy.gif!
#8 of 9 Old 01-12-2007, 01:17 PM

arrgghh yes.....

the swelling

i heard someone say that their feet looked like cabbage patch kids feet.
on steroids
ahahahaaaa

thats exactly how i feel
i hate walking down the stairs because i can feel this pinching feeling where my ankles have to bend and it feels like my feet will literally pop like blood balloons.

tmi, i know

-anj119
#9 of 9 Old 01-12-2007, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

My feet/legs are no longer swollen!!! So excited. Yesterday I had a great appt. with the CNM and she explained that my feet needed to be elevated above my heart-level to help drainage and also suggested increasing protein intake to also help prevent/reduce swelling.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page