For those planning to CD... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-10-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you guys going to use sposies until the meconium passes? I'm trying to figure out if I should buy a tiny pack of sposies just until the poo is mustard seedy.

Mom to DS (16), DD (7), DS (5), and excitedenergy.gif about my final baby due October 2014. Love fluffy mailheartbeat.gif, appreciate midwives, and can't wait to wear a baby againjoy.gif!
#2 of 19 Old 01-10-2007, 11:54 AM

My friend is actually giving me her leftover 7th generation newborn sposies for the first week, so yes I plan to use sposies for the first week or so then switch to the cloth diapers. I know I could use the CDs but I plan to work at making the first week as easy as possible on ourselves, hence the sposies.

Mama to Charlotte (2/14/07) and Julian (11/27/10) both born at home.
#3 of 19 Old 01-10-2007, 11:55 AM

I am probably using sposies for about the first week, but that's because I know how I am the first week after birth. It's not so much the mec that I'm concerned about, just that I know I won't want mountains of laundry immediately afterwards! I'm kinda lazy! I did pick up a pack of NB sposies and forgot how small they are. I didn't use cloth with DS until he was about 7 months old.
#4 of 19 Old 01-10-2007, 12:11 PM

I will. Plus my SIL had a preemie back in August and the baby still isn't home. She already has opened a pack of diapers (don't know why) but her dd will be out of the newborn size by the time she comes home. So, I'll be getting them!

Mama of three.

#5 of 19 Old 01-10-2007, 01:25 PM

yeah I just bought a pack of 7th gen dipes to use at first b/c I haven't built up a stash of cloth yet - sort of waiting to figure out what works best before I make a big investment in any one brand. I bought a starter kit of gDiapers and have a couple Under the Nile AIOs...still need to get some CPFs.

But that's not what you asked
#6 of 19 Old 01-10-2007, 01:39 PM

We have some 7th gen sposies for the first week so we won't have to worry about laundry. I think it will depend on how I feel. I have heard that meconium comes off easier/stains less than breastmilk poo though.
#7 of 19 Old 01-10-2007, 01:46 PM

My Aunt gave me some nb dipes that I will use for the first few days.
#8 of 19 Old 01-10-2007, 02:05 PM

I have no plans to use sposies at all. Mec isn't that hard to get off diaps and I have never really minded doing laundry.
#9 of 19 Old 01-10-2007, 02:54 PM

I plan on just using cloth. 7th generation dipes are SO expensive here, besides when I had my daughter she didn't even fit into newborn dipes so it was such a waste! I just plan on using some microfleece and/or flannel liners until the mec passes. My friend lent me her lovely newborn stash and I want to use it as much as possible before babe grows out of it---which will probably be quickly if I have another almost 10 pounder!
#10 of 19 Old 01-10-2007, 03:22 PM

Last time we used cloth from the start (even the hospital used cloth!), but we had a service, so no laundry. Not sure this time. Maybe just prefolds once we come home.

Does anyone here remember how long the meconium stage lasts? Honestly, I didn't change any meconium diapers last time - my dh and the nurses took care of it at the hospital and then I think it was done by the time we got home. But I can't really remember...
#11 of 19 Old 01-10-2007, 03:24 PM

I don't plan on ever using sposies.

CD(DONA), Wife to Jason, Momma to Xander (7), Hayden (5), & Hanna (4)
#12 of 19 Old 01-10-2007, 04:29 PM

I don't plan on using sposies either. I plan to CD from the start... but I do have rice liners to use until the mec passes.
#13 of 19 Old 01-10-2007, 04:56 PM

We are using sposies the first week (since I received some preemie sized ones already). We will be switching to cloth after the mec. passes.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#14 of 19 Old 01-10-2007, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleigh'smama View Post
We have some 7th gen sposies for the first week so we won't have to worry about laundry. I think it will depend on how I feel. I have heard that meconium comes off easier/stains less than breastmilk poo though.
This is actually the reverse - breastmilk poop is pretty innocuous as poop goes and I've never had any trouble getting out of diapers - any lingering stains on something because it ended up sitting way long before being laundered or something have always sunned right out for me. Meconium on the other hand is dark, tarry and staining. Sheets and stuff that homebirthers end up having permanently stained in birth is usually due to meconium. Blood comes out easier, even.

I thought about flushable liners initially for my cloth diapers, but I think I may just use poly fleece. I also got a package of newborn disposables in case I just don't feel like messing with any of it postpartum (which was the case last time.) It would make it easier while I'm resting for the midwives or whoever else to diaper the baby without me having to explain 3 different diapering systems in the stash from a room over, lol.
#15 of 19 Old 01-10-2007, 05:34 PM

We do not plan on using sposies. We will use them in the hospital and then change the babe when we get home. I know we could do cloth in the hospital, but I'm just not up for that.

Just to add, my DH doesn't even want to do sposies on vacation. I was on the fence as we're going to stay with DH's parents in Spain this summer (the baby will be 4 or 5 months). I was shocked when he said he wanted to CD! He said switching would be too traumatic for the baby who has only known cloth. I really love this man!

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#16 of 19 Old 01-11-2007, 12:55 AM

I had no problem with meconium staining our dipes last time, but I was just washing them tonight and they still have some bm poo stains from DD#3. I don't really care about stains anyway, and I just love wrapping up a newborn in all cotton!

So, no 'sposies here.

Keri, wife to Tony, mom to five DDs: M ('96), S('01), E('04), A('07) and J('10);
#17 of 19 Old 01-11-2007, 02:57 AM

I bought a pack for just in case I'm not up to doing the diaper laundry the first couple of days. My bedroom, where I plan to birth, is upstairs and the laundry room is downstairs. I may not use even one of the disposables, but I feel better knowing that we have some just in case. I also bought some microfleece and cut it into liners to help prevent meconium staining. Last time the meconium didn't stain at all.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#18 of 19 Old 01-11-2007, 04:26 AM

With first DD we used our cloth diapers from the start. I am a stain freak, meaning I don't like stains (but it stops at diapers :c)! I don't remember one diaper staining at all at first and maybe now over 2 1/2 years, we've had maybe a total of 5 times a diaper looked stained and I've sunned it or it came out on its own. I've already got to do laundry for my DD's diapers, so won't be a big deal.

We have a shower sprayer, sorta like that toilet one, but you put it in your shower instead. It is in addition to your shower head/one and its very powerful, not all week like a normal shower heads. They sell them at homedepot for cleaning pets and stuff, looks like the ones you'd put in your sink with a on/off handle bar. (Totally OT, but it was nice for postpartum because I could get hot water from it and use it instead of the peribottles they give you). We would clean each poop diaper this way with cold water and than in the the diaper pail until we washed it 1-2 days later. This may be why we don't get the stains? Don't know?!?! But I don't remember it being too bad dealing with diapers at all at first... and baby poo ... I think I like it better than this toddler poo .

Sarah :c) ~ love.gif Emily (8) orngbiggrin.gif  Toby (5) angel2.gif Bean (7/2012)

#19 of 19 Old 01-11-2007, 06:32 AM

Not a single one of my dipes stained from meconium with my youngest whom I CD'd from birth. He's never been in a disposable diaper.
And I plan for it to be that way for this babe too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page