Disturbing appointment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-10-2007, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went today for an ultrasound. They wanted to get a better read on her size since because of my weight I was measuring large. I know this was no medical emergency, but I consented. But they shocked me by saying that she is measuring small! Like in the 20th percentile! This has me concerned because no one in my family has ever been or had a small baby. I'm freaking out thinking that I've been doing something wrong or that the placenta is malfunctioning or something. I know the sonograms aren't 100% accurate but its probably not too far off.
THEN as if that wasn't enough, they say that my fluid is low, just on the low side of normal and that they want me back next week for yet another ultrasound! Now I KNOW that one is BS and I am refusing it. I didn't have a lot to drink today. I am sure the midwives will back me up on that one too. It just gives me chills because this is why I was induced with my first child which was a slippery slope to a nightmarish c section. I have a new team now who are very anti-intervention so I need to calm down. I just can't believe she's measuring small! Any words of wisdom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 01-10-2007, 08:07 PM

Words of wisdom: DO NOT STRESS.

There is at least a 50% chance that the ultrasound is completely innacurate, and even if it IS accurate... 20th percentile is not abnormal! 20th percentile should not be a concern unless there are other major discrepancies suggesting IUGR, which it doesn't sound like there are.

My ultrasound/weight horror story: My daughter was supposedly measuring in the top 1% of babies at 34 weeks and I was refused an external version based on the thought that she was too big... she was born (by c-section, of course, because OH MY GOSH, giant breech baby!! at a perfectly NORMAL weight of 8 pounds, 4 ounces... not "too big" at all. The ultrasound had predicted her to be larger than that (over nine pounds!) three weeks before she was born, which is impossible.

Even if baby is truly measuring small, stress will just make it worse, mama. Take it easy, as hard as it sounds... your body and baby know what they're supposed to do!

full time, single, slightly soggy WOHM to Juliet (12.31.2004 @ 36w5d) and Willow & Adam (2.22.2007 @ 39w5d, HBAC transfer) and... expecting my little womb warrior Eowyn Susanne in September
#3 of 23 Old 01-10-2007, 08:08 PM

No words of BTDT wisdom, but I have to say, 1 and 1 are not equaling 2 here.
How can you be measuring large with a minute baby yet the difference is not being made up by fluid? What's making you measure so big then? Air?

I do feel ultrasounds start to get shady around now, and worse every week after. They have to get just the right angle on the head to have any idea. My last U/S made the first measurement of one the baby's heads and it said it was at 38 wks plus. She said, I'm going to go back later and measure again. She got a different angle and it was down to 34. Thank goodness, because one false reading like that and they try to induce me claiming the twins have some horrible disease.

My point is, it's not an exact science and your belly size isn't supporting their 'evidence'. If you want some peace of mind yet are not going back to them, I would suggest pounding mega protein until you deliver and drinking loads of water.

Good luck, mama.
#4 of 23 Old 01-10-2007, 08:08 PM

Do not worry about it! My baby was also small although both dh and I are tall. Plus, your due date could just be off a little. What is your sense about the whole thing?
#5 of 23 Old 01-10-2007, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Jude, I thought the difference in measurements was my weight. Couldn't excess fat make up the differece?
I think they were just wanting me to come back in for another fluid check and actually didn't seem too concerned by the size.

I think I just let my mother freak me out because a woman she knows who is due the week after me was written out of work, put on bedrest and has to go for ultrasounds every other day now due to the measure of a 3lb baby.
I was wondering why they were more concerned about the fluid than the size. But maybe this woman had other signs of restricted growth like polkadotjonas was talking about.
What would those be btw?
#6 of 23 Old 01-10-2007, 09:00 PM

I measured on target or a bit bigger with my first, but had a small baby (full term at 5-11). It really depended on the day & time of when I was measured, what I drank, etc.
I wouldn't worry about it since if you truly were IUGR, they would have already *caught* that by now.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#7 of 23 Old 01-10-2007, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

But what ARE the other symptoms of IUGR? I cam only find hypertension, which I DID have although my BP was way down at my last appt.
#8 of 23 Old 01-10-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWren View Post
But what ARE the other symptoms of IUGR? I cam only find hypertension, which I DID have although my BP was way down at my last appt.
What are the signs and symptoms of the disease?
Symptoms that do occur may include the following:
• a uterus that is smaller than in previous pregnancies
• fewer fetal movements than expected

Here are some of the risk factors for IUGR:

Risk factors for iugr
There are a number of risk factors which will cause doctors to look for signs of intrauterine growth retardation. These include:

small stature of the mother
reduced weight gain of the mother
hypertension (high blood pressure)
maternal anemia
eclampsia
smoking during pregnancy
living at high altitude
drug abuse (including alcohol, heroin and cocaine)
multiple pregnancy
previous iugr
fetal infections (including rubella and cytomegalovirus)
complications (including placental and umbilical cord abnormalities)
kidney disease
post term pregnancy

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#9 of 23 Old 01-10-2007, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I think the only one of those I have (had) is the hypertension.
I am sure I am freaking over nothing.
You know, I don't know if you guys remember this but I was the one in the beginning who had a miscarriage only to discover I was still pg. I believe I lost a twin. They said that there was no evidence of a "vanishing twin" but I know what I experienced, having miscarried before.
What I am wondering is if the fact that she used to be a twin has anything to do with this. Probably not since they are usually small because of lack of space and not just the mere fact of being a twin right?
Anyway thanks to all of you. I really love you guys.
#10 of 23 Old 01-11-2007, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I remember that very clearly and I am just so thankful that you are still with us.
As far as the 20th percentile thing goes:

Why do they have 5,10,20th percentiles if they expect nobody to ever be at that size? Someone has to be at the top and someone has to be at the bottom. Maybe your baby is just small of stature. Maybe the u/s tech measured wrong. Maybe your dates are off a little.

Too many variables to consider, I would not allow this to ruin my blissful pregnancy. Relax and grow your baby.
#11 of 23 Old 01-11-2007, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Dreams
#12 of 23 Old 01-11-2007, 02:09 PM

I had IUGR with my last pregnancy and my son was taken then next day after they discovered it at 34 weeks.

I was measuring small and behind and the next week I did not show any signs of growing so they sent me to a pernitalogist. They showed me how my placenta was a severe grade three calcified. That means it was basically dead and not working.

If there was ANY concern that you had or have IUGR your doctor would have been notified as it is a serious condition.

I honestly would not stress about your appt. I would just take it one day at a time. A lot of times their weight guesstimates are wrong.

Traci
#13 of 23 Old 01-11-2007, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Sporty. I also just read somewhere that below the 10th percentile is usually where they worry.
I sure hope your son is ok!
#14 of 23 Old 01-11-2007, 03:35 PM

My son is ok. Just tiny is all. He is now 2 years old (this month) and only in hte 5% for height and 10% for weight. And he eats like a hog too!! Poor little guy is still in 12 month clothes.

He did spend 5 weeks in the hospital once born because he could not maintain his body temp and he does have asthma now as well. They had warned us that he could have asthma from the condition and being a preemie. But he will too grow out of that.

That said by the age of 4 he should catch up nicely so we are not worried and he is doing so well. Talks up a storm, is learning like he should etc.

Hang in there! I think you will be just fine

Traci
#15 of 23 Old 01-11-2007, 03:36 PM

start drinking. drink a ton of water and keep it up until the next u/s and then show them that your fluid is fine!
#16 of 23 Old 01-11-2007, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Yup that's the plan. I hadn't had a lot to drink before the last one. Sporty I'm so glad to hear your little guy is ok!
I love your name Edamommy!
Thanks you guys for the encouragement. I go from feeling calm to well, NOT feeling calm lol. That's why I keep checking back here.
I just hope ALL of us have safe happy and healthy births!
#17 of 23 Old 01-11-2007, 04:12 PM

Another vote for the possibility that the u/s was off. A friend was MEGA huge with her pregnancy, seriously I've seen women carrying triplets that had much smaller tummies. U/S 4 days prior to birth told her that the baby was about 6 lbs, and there was a huge concern regarding size of baby & amount of fluid. Well, there really was a extraordinary amount of fluid, but baby was born at 8.5 lbs. I'm pretty sure that she didn't gain 2.5lbs in 4 days.
#18 of 23 Old 01-11-2007, 04:27 PM

I'm hoping things all turn out OK!! It stinks to have this kind of stress while pregnant... especially when we're so close to the end...
#19 of 23 Old 01-11-2007, 07:42 PM

I've always heard not to put much faith in ultrasounds this late in the game. As an ex-labor & delivery nurse and my own personal experience I can attest first hand to how often they are wrong. Weight estimates and measurements are not usually accurate at the end by ultrasound, though I know for some people it is. With my 2nd baby, my Dr. just knew my baby was over 9lbs and talked me into early induction, which failed and ended in a c/sec. She was my smallest baby at 7lbs 5oz.

My fluid levels measured on the low side of normal at my mid-pregnancy ultrasound this time which freaked me out a little, since I always measure big for my dates and typically have a lot of fluid once my water breaks. The sonographer didn't make a big deal of it, and when I had a follow-up level 3 ultrasound for other reasons a few weeks later it was fine. I was told that the fluid levels can greatly fluctuate throughout the day and how much you've had to drink can most definitely affect it.

Seems to me as long your baby is active with good heart tones that they shouldn't even make a big deal out of what they are. The end of pregnancy is stressful enough. If the medical profession only knew how much they added to that stress sometimes!

Best wishes for things to go as smoothly as possible from here on out!

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#20 of 23 Old 01-11-2007, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

That's what I like to hear. Thank you
#21 of 23 Old 01-11-2007, 09:11 PM

I am glad that you are feeling better about it!

#22 of 23 Old 01-11-2007, 09:12 PM

Of the ultra sounds I've gotten this late they've all been innaccurate size wise. They told me that two of my boys were HUGE - 10lbs - but in actuality they ended up both being 8'7. They told me one of my babies was way "too small" and she was 9'6! So I hope you can relax a little. Sometimes technology really makes us worry more. Hugs to you!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#23 of 23 Old 01-11-2007, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I am feeling better and it's because of you guys
I just can't believe they put so much stock in these readings. It seems everyone has a story!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page