SO much circ info! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-11-2007, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
shared before that both DH and I were totally uninformed before now, well the other day I told him I didn't want to circ our son. We had a little discussion and he brought up the common arguments (in the form of questions, not arguments), but was neither for it nor against. I didn't have a whole lot of info to refute the stuff. I said "I'll get you some more information," he said okay and we dropped it.

Now I'm on the Case Against board with tears in my eyes, the printer's running out of toner, and I have a big stack of "more information" for when I go home tonight. I really doubt it will take this much, but I couldn't stop! I can't imagine this being a "routine" procedure! I just want to cry. The whole time I was reading articles and personal stories, Bun was just going crazy in here, it's like he knows what I'm reading and is as horrified as I am. I imagined him cringing and holding his little penis!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-11-2007, 07:20 PM

haha, i noticed it doesn't take most men much to change their minds. i showed my dp a actually circ on the computer and he's never said another word. he really wanted it done because our son (if we have a son) will be teased and will wonder why he is diff. blah blah blah. "and besides, it doesn't even hurt the baby" ha, i made him eat his words. besides if one parent is against circ they wont do it. and i wasn't about to cave.

glad you are doing some research. and if the info still hasn't hit him they have videos he can watch. good luck and sending you good vibes.

Jarrod & Nataleigh Est. 2004
DD Jayde 2005
DS William 2007
DD Lilleigh 2008
DS Edward 2010
DS Mikah 2012
Due July 2013
#3 of 9 Old 01-11-2007, 08:09 PM

I gave info till I was blue in the face and then at our newborn care class ( before DD's birth ... we were arguing about IF was had a boy just in case)

and the nurse say " its not medically necessary anymore say the AAP.." dh turns to me and say oh ok then we wont do it : ..if only I had a white coat
#4 of 9 Old 01-11-2007, 08:29 PM

Oy! I hear you on that one p1gg1e. I can talk and talk and talk and his eyes glaze over but then if a professional says the same exact thing that I just finished saying, it's like's he's amazed at this new information. It could be about anything. :
#5 of 9 Old 01-11-2007, 08:29 PM

DH was fairly convinced about the issue, but I think the Penn and Teller video is what fixated his opinion on the issue. I think he had to hear it from 'manly' men and not veiw it as just a 'the poor baby' issue.
#6 of 9 Old 01-11-2007, 09:17 PM

The easiest way to convince someone nowadays is the fact that almost all the insurance companies right now are no longer covering circ, calling it a cosmetic procedure. Is your DH willing to shell out the extra money for it?

And that leads to the next arguement='he'll be different'. Well, not now. There's too many people not willing to pay extra, or when they find out they have to pay extra, they do some research and find out what's really up and decline.

What are the stats right now? 60-40%, 60 being uncirced right now and climbing? I'm not solid on that, but that's what I remember.
#7 of 9 Old 01-12-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude Rose View Post
The easiest way to convince someone nowadays is the fact that almost all the insurance companies right now are no longer covering circ, calling it a cosmetic procedure. Is your DH willing to shell out the extra money for it?

And that leads to the next arguement='he'll be different'. Well, not now. There's too many people not willing to pay extra, or when they find out they have to pay extra, they do some research and find out what's really up and decline.

What are the stats right now? 60-40%, 60 being uncirced right now and climbing? I'm not solid on that, but that's what I remember.
Depends on were you live...

In good ol' Ohio its 25% uncirced : ...mostly immigrants and hippies
#8 of 9 Old 01-12-2007, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

He's already scared, I don't want to show him a video of the procedure (or watch it myself - I'm already against it). Is that part of the Penn & Teller video?
#9 of 9 Old 01-13-2007, 12:03 AM

I agree that the circ rates depend on where you live. When I lived on the northern calif. coast it was seriously close to 90% uncirc'ed. In the small northern calif. town where my parents live it is probably a lot closer to the rates in Ohio. There are a lot of people out there who will never give it a second thought, I dislike that more than I would ever judge a persons informed decision, regardless of what it is.

It took me two seconds to convince dh that we weren't gonna circ, basically I told him that we weren't, he asked why, I showed him some stuff, and he said okay...thank goodness. My brother was here with his gf, she grew up in a very "hippy" family so she kind of knew that it was something to think about, but my brother was stunned he had no idea that anyone didn't circ their son's.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page