Dreading my appointment tomorrow - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-11-2007, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As some of you may know from my previous posts, my midwife is going on holidays for a week and a half before my 'due' date and I don't have any backup. I'm not completely ruling out UC but it really isn't my first choice due to my husband's medical issues lately and the stress that has placed on our family.

My GP, Eva, our family doctor has referred me to another GP, Dr. Kali that does births just in case I go into labor prior to 39.5 weeks. I guess I'd rather at least meet her and give her my birth plan as opposed to just showing up at the hospital (although there is still a reasonable chance I'll get a different Dr. on call)

I guess I'm nervous. I don't want to end up trying to defend why I want a homebirth. I have no idea what this Dr. is like.

Basically I want to tell her that:
I don't want meds (not a big deal, it's a low med/C-section hospital, I had my 1st daughter there, drug free)
I don't want to be checked or deliver on my back (back issues)
No meds to be given to our baby, without our direct permission
Immediate skin to skin contact./nursing
No cutting the cord until it's done pulsing
No 'help' with pushing out the placenta
No pitocin after birth to 'aid' the placenta
All vitals to be done while baby is on my chest if baby is healthy

I'm wondering how this is going to go over. Argh. I hate confrontation.:

Anything else you can think of?
#2 of 3 Old 01-11-2007, 11:31 PM

Don't think of it as confrontation! You don't have to use this doc at all if they don't fit with you. Hopefully the person that referred you might know a littla about you enough to give a good referral. One thing I would definitely put in a birth plan it that you must give informed consent to any intervention at all and time for you and dh to discuss it privately. I had this on my birth plan and they ignored it some of the time but I think it is really important. Good luck!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#3 of 3 Old 01-11-2007, 11:44 PM

Don't be nervous. ITA with the PP that this person is there for YOU not vice versa. If you're not a good match then you will cross that bridge when/if you come to it. But whatever happens, you CAN handle it.
Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page