Help with exact type of pad! Super or regular? How many? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-11-2007, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I havent seen a pad since I was 13 so am clueless! I am looking at Seventh Generation and they have an overnight with wings in a 14 count or regular in the 24 count. And then Natracare has ultra super in a 12 count. These are my choices.

Is bigger better? How many should I have as backup? Eek, how ignorant am I?
#2 of 16 Old 01-12-2007, 12:05 AM

I went with plain old Kotex last time, and found that although I has not been a pad wearer in a very long time it wasn't so bad (even with my small frame). I did the extra long overnight with wings and never got a drop of blood anywhere but the pad. I think that I went through around 24-28 of these before I was able to switch to a smaller variety for the remainder of the bleeding. with DS I only bleed for 10 days but with DD it was almost 6 weeks!
#3 of 16 Old 01-12-2007, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

thanks 2mama! Guess I better stock up. Never dawned on me that I could bleed for weeks. I actually thought 12 would be enough.
#4 of 16 Old 01-12-2007, 01:16 AM

I got the biggest packages of the biggest nighttime pads I could find!! I bled a long time too, 5 weeks I think - but I did too much and would bleed heavily sometimes, I think, because of that. I still have a few nighttime pads kicking around from then, I usually never bleed that heavily at night with a regular period.

Natracare has some maternity pads. I picked up a couple of boxes of them, and depending on how fast it lightens up, I'll use my mama cloth
#5 of 16 Old 01-12-2007, 01:34 AM

I like Kotex. I think it's the ultra thin long with wings. My mw also suggests for her clients to buy one package of these slip on disposable things for the first few days. The brand is a Target brand and they're called slip ons. At first I thought it was kind of weird, but it was awesome having them last time. I had a few leftover and shared the remainder of the package with a friend who was due right after me, and she loved them too. They were very, very nice for those first few days of heavy bleeding! I don't think it's these exact ones that Target carries, but these are practically identical and about the same price.
https://www.bestbuyhealthcare.com/pr...r=KN-1505(1.24)

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#6 of 16 Old 01-12-2007, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

^^thanks! Those are genious! I am running out to buy some.
#7 of 16 Old 01-12-2007, 03:00 PM

I was actually jsut talking to my midwife about this the other day, and she suggested getting "Depends" since they are large, don't leak and you can wear them like underwear.

I was at the grocery store this morning and I almost bought some, but was too embarrassed that someone would think I wasn't doing Kegels IYKWIM.
#8 of 16 Old 01-12-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonit View Post
I was actually jsut talking to my midwife about this the other day, and she suggested getting "Depends" since they are large, don't leak and you can wear them like underwear.

I was at the grocery store this morning and I almost bought some, but was too embarrassed that someone would think I wasn't doing Kegels IYKWIM.

Oh, I know! I hate actually buying them, embarrassing! I did find some online several places, so maybe that would be an option... If you search slip on disposable undergarment you'll find many places to get them. Here's one...

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...d=prod1173267#

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#9 of 16 Old 01-12-2007, 03:32 PM

Depends

And, then you get the joy of passing the leftovers to a friend at a Baby Shower.
#10 of 16 Old 01-12-2007, 04:09 PM

My grandmother had quite a stash of depends & other pads before she passed. I asked my mom if I could have them & she was thrilled to give them to me for after the birth. She was just going to throw them away since they were opened packages. My plan is to use all those up & then buy smaller ones if I need them.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#11 of 16 Old 01-12-2007, 05:25 PM

I have always used the longer overnight ones with wings. Haven't bought any yet but will the next grocery stop! I will probably sit on some towels for the time I am relaxing in bed with babe. I just had to go out and by myself some "normal" underwear. It's thongs or nothing with me usually so wearing "big panties" will be weird!!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#12 of 16 Old 01-12-2007, 05:41 PM

I so had not thought of this!!!

I don't think I can do Depends, it's psychological. But I will stock up on pads (I haven't worn them since I was 15) this weekend.

Oh the joys of childbirth...

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#13 of 16 Old 01-13-2007, 12:25 AM

Not part of your club, just wanted to chime in on this subject...

I looked at the replies above and I don't think anybody has mentioned the option of cloth mama pads. I got the postpartum pads from Mom and Me Creations and I love them!! I used them postpartum and never had a leak. Here's the link http://www.momandmepouch.com/ClothMom.html

There are lots of other good brands too, just ask around...
#14 of 16 Old 01-13-2007, 12:36 AM

Funny you should mention this... I actually stocked up on some cloth postpartum/overnight pads, although I may end up getting some non-cloth ones as back-ups. I switched to cloth pads a few months before getting pregnant, and they are sooooooo much more comfortable!
#15 of 16 Old 01-13-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybee View Post
Funny you should mention this... I actually stocked up on some cloth postpartum/overnight pads, although I may end up getting some non-cloth ones as back-ups. I switched to cloth pads a few months before getting pregnant, and they are sooooooo much more comfortable!
I love my cloth pads!! I've got a whole pile of them, but they are probably not going to be enough to handle the really heavy stuff. Fortunately my periods are not heavy (we'll see how they are after this birth though) and I can easily use them without leaking. I've got Glad Rags.

I've heard of some mamas using old infant prefolds and turning them into postpartum pads...
#16 of 16 Old 01-13-2007, 11:54 AM

With dd, I bought a pack of depends (the smallest pack I could find!) and I popped one on when my water broke since I had no clue how much it would leak all day.... and then used them for probably the first week postpartum... then I switched to always brand super long with wings for a week or two, then regular pads.

This time I'm all cloth. I'll just use prefolds the first few days, nice and thick... and they can go in the dipe wash.. I got a few overnight and a bunch of super and regular pads from amazpadz.com which I LOVE - well I used the super/regular ones before getting pregnant... I expect the overnights will work great too. And they are so pretty (and don't smell funky like disposable ones do).

I bled a lot with dd, and even using depends, there were drips where I missed the toilet as I shimmied them down and sat... so yah, I'd totally do depends again... might pick some up today at the grocery even.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page