Does anyone know how often car seats should be replaced? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-12-2007, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a Graco Snugride that will be 5yrs old this spring. I hadn't even given a second thought to reusing it, because it still seems okay to me. But I've had a couple of people tell me recently that they are supposed to be replaced every few years. Is that right? Do we need to buy a new one?

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#2 of 17 Old 01-12-2007, 03:17 AM

i have read that they should be replaced every 5 years. if i can find the website i'll post it

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
#3 of 17 Old 01-12-2007, 04:01 AM

not in your group but you should call the manufactur (sp)

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#4 of 17 Old 01-12-2007, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Update...

I don't know why I didn't think to do this first: , but I looked on Graco's website and saw that they recommend replacing every 6 yrs from the date of manufacturing. So, I think we'll keep this one for this baby and then get rid of it after that.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#5 of 17 Old 01-12-2007, 05:05 AM

Mine have an expiration date on the underside It was 5 years from the manufactured date. So...now I have an expired carseat in my garage

mum to a crew...
#6 of 17 Old 01-12-2007, 12:06 PM

I second the expiration date. I haven't actually looked for mine (most are under 2 years old, one of them is maybe 2 1/2 years old), but I've heard they have them.
#7 of 17 Old 01-12-2007, 12:40 PM

Our car seat is supposedly not expired until July of this year, but we decided to go ahead and get a new one. Reason being is that evenflo said the seat is ok for 6 years, but with ds we took a class with the people that do the car seat safety checks and they said absolutely do not use a seat that is older than 5 years. So, rather than take chances we paid 70 buck for a new seat. We did get the Graco snudride though. The old seat will go to the dump b/c noone should be able to use that seat ever again. It's just too dangerous.
#8 of 17 Old 01-12-2007, 12:58 PM

Ours is good til July. We'll probably use it for a couple months, then switch to the convertible.

CD(DONA), Wife to Jason, Momma to Xander (7), Hayden (5), & Hanna (4)
#9 of 17 Old 01-12-2007, 03:13 PM

If you are replacing, make sure to avoid any of the ones on this list. Consumer reports just did a big test and 10 out of 12 infant seats came detached from the bases in their crash tests.
#10 of 17 Old 01-12-2007, 04:06 PM

Most car seats have a sticker or imprint on the back with the expiration date. We are using ours until the date it is expired. We are purchasing a new car seat though since ours goes out within the year of the birth.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#11 of 17 Old 01-12-2007, 05:39 PM

when you dispose of the seat make sure you cut the straps so no one takes it out of the trash

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
#12 of 17 Old 01-12-2007, 08:46 PM

Absolutely!
#13 of 17 Old 01-13-2007, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophmama View Post
If you are replacing, make sure to avoid any of the ones on this list. Consumer reports just did a big test and 10 out of 12 infant seats came detached from the bases in their crash tests.
Not in your group, but wanted to respond to this. CR is not a good source of info on carseats in general. There are numerous threads here detailing why.

-Angela
#14 of 17 Old 01-13-2007, 11:48 AM

Snugride is good for 6 years from the date of manufaacture, not the date of use... check on the bottom of the bucket (mine is stamped in the plastic under teh leg part of the seat) and says "This seat expires in DEC 2010"

I agree with Angela, the CR report isn't great... but if you are heading out to get a new Snugride, they are still one of my favorite infant seats (and ok to use says CR....). And at $70-100 it's totally worth protecting baby

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#15 of 17 Old 01-13-2007, 01:43 PM

But even if you have concerns about CR's methodology, there's no interpretation involved in determining whether "came off the base" is good or bad, right? I don't want to hijack the thread into a debate about CR in general, but if a properly installed car seat comes off its base with an impact of 35 mph, I'm glad to have that information.

--
Let your life speak. -- George Fox
#16 of 17 Old 01-13-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophmama View Post

I just wanted to point out that 6 of the seats actually performed in the "good" or "very good" crash protection categories when installed using the vehicle safety belts instead of latch. For instance, the snugride, which they recommend was rated "good" but the evenflo embrace was rated "very good." To me, this makes the evenflo embrace the better choice if it can be installed in your vehicle using the safety belts, so have a look at the actual ratings before making a decision.
#17 of 17 Old 01-13-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelDust View Post
But even if you have concerns about CR's methodology, there's no interpretation involved in determining whether "came off the base" is good or bad, right? I don't want to hijack the thread into a debate about CR in general, but if a properly installed car seat comes off its base with an impact of 35 mph, I'm glad to have that information.
Only the one seat have they shown came off it's base. Yeah, I wouldn't get the evenflow. (but it's not a seat I would have considered anyway...) BUT there are different reports out about the rest (like the britax) and they have NOT released video or real data on any of the other seats tested.

-Angela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page