Mini vent.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-12-2007, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my midwife appointment today and something she brought up kind of bothered me. She aksed me about weither or not I felt I could handle the physical aspect of birth since I have been saying how I'm tired b/c I don't get to the gym or out for a walk as much as she thinks I should. I don't know why this bothered me so much, but it just felt like she was doubting me and putting me in a place to doubt myself. Really, she has no idea what I do every week or every day, how hard I work to take care of my toddler and keep a clean home. How much I have been working getting ready for the baby and still trying to keep up with everything else. Yes, it would be wonderful to go to the gym 3-5 days a week and spend some time by myself, taking care of myself, but how can I do it all? I feel like I'm working pretty freakin' hard for being almost 35 wks pg!

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#2 of 6 Old 01-12-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post
I had my midwife appointment today and something she brought up kind of bothered me. She aksed me about weither or not I felt I could handle the physical aspect of birth since I have been saying how I'm tired b/c I don't get to the gym or out for a walk as much as she thinks I should. I don't know why this bothered me so much, but it just felt like she was doubting me and putting me in a place to doubt myself. Really, she has no idea what I do every week or every day, how hard I work to take care of my toddler and keep a clean home. How much I have been working getting ready for the baby and still trying to keep up with everything else. Yes, it would be wonderful to go to the gym 3-5 days a week and spend some time by myself, taking care of myself, but how can I do it all? I feel like I'm working pretty freakin' hard for being almost 35 wks pg!
Gosh, I've been having horrible pelvic pain from around 22 weeks only worsening, so exercise totally went out the window quite a while ago. I feel like I'm in the worst shape of my life, but you know, it hadn't occurred to me once that I couldn't handle the physical aspect of birth! What, I'm going to sign up for a c-section because it's been tough getting around lo these many weeks now? I don't think, lol. Way to undermine your confidence though. Especially when you're actually staying so active. I don't think you need to overhaul your whole physical fitness level in order to have a baby without complication, and getting to the gym 3-5 times a week is not a reasonable expectation for most mothers caring for children. She may have just been making some idle inquiry, so I'd be inclined to let her know how it made you feel. I'm all for taking it easy and not doing more exercise than a pleasant walk at 35 weeks, lol.
#3 of 6 Old 01-12-2007, 10:54 AM

I don't exercise LOL I'm a long lean 5'11 ( at least without the belly) I had bad back labor with DD... what does working out have to do with pain management?

My gym is a 2.5 yo . Tell her how she made you feel.
#4 of 6 Old 01-12-2007, 04:04 PM

I am assuming that your toddler isn't just a stationery type of child. Goodness, just chasing that baby/toddler around is good excerise in my book!

I would see how your next appointment goes & then bring it up with her if you feel you need to. She may just be an excerise nut:

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#5 of 6 Old 01-12-2007, 11:55 PM

Next time she asks you if you've been exercising say "Yes, I've been doing the stairmaster for 10-20 minutes daily, squats, some light weights, and I occasionally do some lifts of about 25-30lbs". She doesn't need to know that the stairmaster is you going up and down your stairs a hundred times a day putting stuff away, and chasing your dd. Nor does she need to know that the squats are done while picking up a million toys/books/etc. a million times a day...you get the point.

Sorry she made you feel bad, but don't let it get you down. You will be great in labor, a STRONG mama!
#6 of 6 Old 01-13-2007, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support everyone, I was really feeling like crud when I wrote that. She brings up my not working out enough at almost every appointment and it's starting to drive me batty. She only has one child, so maybe I can just chalk it up to her not knowing what I'm going through. I was much more active before the pg, but with a toddler and a dh that works AND schools fulltime, I barely have time to write this post! I know that I don't take enough "me" time and that I have issues with saying no, but that's it. I'm not lazy or anything.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page