Any other paranoid mamas out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-13-2007, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom keeps telling me horror stories about women that are abducted in late pregnancy and their babies are taken out of them or the babies are abducted in the first weeks of life. She has me completely paranoid, now. Like I don't trust anyone. I have some neighbors that don't really like us and I'm afraid of them now. An old friend from high school contacted me out of the blue and said he knew I was due soon and did I want to meet for lunch? Argh! I'm way paranoid. Please tell me I'm not alone :

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#2 of 14 Old 01-13-2007, 11:42 PM

OMG I have never heard of this. I'm definitely a paranoid Mama but about labor complications and a healthy baby.
I'm sorry your freaking about this. It doesn't seem to me like there is a very high probability that anything like that will happen. Please try to relax.
#3 of 14 Old 01-13-2007, 11:50 PM

I don't have any specific worries about this, such as neighbors, but I'm a natural-born worrywart so, yes, it has crossed my mind in a quick way such as, "Gee, wouldn't it be awful if some woman who desperately wanted a baby came up and stabbed me and cut the baby out? Hmm, what should I make for dinner tomorrow night?" type thing.... so you're not entirely alone.
#4 of 14 Old 01-14-2007, 12:00 AM

It seemed like as soon as I got pregnant there were all these stories of women being killed and their babies taken from them, or newborns being kidnapped and they were all over the CSI-type shows. I got paranoid for a little bit but I think that's too much for me to worry about so I sort of blocked it all from my mind. I've got enough new-mama worry about just getting the baby out!
#5 of 14 Old 01-14-2007, 12:01 AM

What does help, though, is knowing that the great majority of those babies are found just about right away.
#6 of 14 Old 01-14-2007, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

It's just so ridiculous and I'm usually pretty level headed about these sorts of things. I guess it's just the motherly instincts. My parents are very paranoid and watch WAY too much news tv so I usually just discount whatever they tell me This is just not a nice thing to tell a pregnant mama. I swear she reminds me of it every time I'm going out to the store.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#7 of 14 Old 01-14-2007, 12:17 AM

I wish they would be a little more gentle with you right now. I have this problem with my MIL. She's a huge worry wart but still watches every bad thing she can find and when she asks me about whatever it is (have you heard...did you see...?), I always tell her that I don't watch the news because I'm too sensitive, or that I don't like to watch upsetting things in general because I am too deeply affected. But then she just goes into her littany of death and desperation in grusome detail, like I wasn't even talking. Ticks me off just thinking about it :
#8 of 14 Old 01-14-2007, 01:55 PM

We don't watch the news very often, so I just stick with the paper. I can skip these types of articles very easily...

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#9 of 14 Old 01-14-2007, 02:13 PM

That's me! When I was pregnant with my son, there was a story (in TX I think) about a women who was abducted from a Walmart parking lot. The women who abducted her cut her open, took her baby, and buried the women in her basement. No idea if it was an urban legend or what... but it had me freaked out.

This time around, I have had a few customers lately come to my house to buy or check out CD and I have freaked myself out a little... thinking they are going to do something to me! My husband was home on Friday when the last customer came, so I felt better about that one. I don't know why I am having such paranoid thoughts! I guess it's just the protective mama bear instinct!
#10 of 14 Old 01-14-2007, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Things like that and child abduction stories is precisely why I don't watch the news or read the paper. My mom says I live in denial but I'd rather live in denial than fear.

#11 of 14 Old 01-14-2007, 03:41 PM

What's sad is I didn't hear it on the news... I read it on a pregnancy/parenting message board!
#12 of 14 Old 01-14-2007, 09:35 PM

Not paranoid in the aspect that you are.. However I do have awful dread feelings while in the Hospital..4 yrs back, a lady walked into the Mat ward and tried too walk off with a baby, at out local hospital.. The babies are fitted with an alarm system that they wear ,where there cords is clamped.. if they go beyond the door, the alarm goes off..Which it did, and the lady was arrested, so this DOES cross my mind every time I deliver there..
As for being paranoid.. Yep.. I have been that since I got my BFP..Mine is more of something bad happening too baby *sigh*...
I feel so bad for you, and the stories you are being told..Not a very nice thing too tell a mamma too be .. sendiong you big hugs sweetie..
#13 of 14 Old 01-15-2007, 01:36 PM

The thought has crossed my mind a few times but I try not to think about it. I'm sorry you are being bombarded with these types of stories. As if we didn't have enough to worry about.
#14 of 14 Old 01-15-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCKMN View Post
Not paranoid in the aspect that you are.. However I do have awful dread feelings while in the Hospital..4 yrs back, a lady walked into the Mat ward and tried too walk off with a baby, at out local hospital.. The babies are fitted with an alarm system that they wear ,where there cords is clamped.. if they go beyond the door, the alarm goes off..Which it did, and the lady was arrested, so this DOES cross my mind every time I deliver there..
As for being paranoid.. Yep.. I have been that since I got my BFP..Mine is more of something bad happening too baby *sigh*...
I feel so bad for you, and the stories you are being told..Not a very nice thing too tell a mamma too be .. sendiong you big hugs sweetie..
The hospital I'll be at has bracelets that won't let the babies leave the maternity floor. I kind of like the cord idea better.

BUT nothing's going to happen. I'm not worried!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page