Homebirth Team Meeting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2007, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are getting down to the wire!!

Last night there was a meeting last night of the entire birth team at my house. A chance for everyone to get to know each other and ask questions before the big day. It was all very exciting - and made it seem so real!

There is actually going to be quite the crowd at my birth, almsot all of them I have known for years.

My mw team is 3 people alone. My MW - who was my doula partner years ago and who we still do back up for occassionally. There is also a 2nd mw coming who was the only person there that I hadn't met before last night. She lives about an hour away (amazingly enough everyone else lives within a mile of me!) and while I knew her name I had never met her in person. I had spoken to her a few times on the phone in the past few weeks and in fact decided to rent her birth tub, and she seemed nice. The 2nd MW is basically a req. in MA, in what is otherwise a very HB friendly state. She is basically there to help the primary mw as needed, and if G-d forbid, something were to go wrong at the birth, there would be someone there for me and someone else to take care of the baby - otherwise only one of us would be able to get medical attention. I see her role as being very limited at the birth really, and she also said that if the room seemed to crowded she would have no problem waiting in another room unless needed. And there will also be an apprentice there - who is also currently an area doula and LLL leader so I have known her forever as well.

On top of that I have 2 doulas - one of whom is responsible for my daughters, but she is also a wonderful friend, doula and massage therapist. She has also volunteered to take pics. Best of all she is my next door neighbor - so no matter what the weather I know she will make it. The other doula is a Jewish friend whose main role is to protect my spiritual space.

My 2 daughters are also preparing to attend the birth, but will come and go as they seem fit. My Dh will be in the house but will not be at the actual birth. If the girls leave the birthing area, DH will be responsible for them.

We all had a great time and it was such a relaxed and wonderful atmosphere. I also got the tub last night and my birth kit is all set to go as well. This was actually the first appointment my DH was at since my 1st trimester so I let my MW use the doppler so that he could hear the hb again. Other than that baby and I are in perfect health and all seems to be well. She did confirm what I already knew - baby is in a nice LOA position, with his/her head right at the top of my pelvis getting ready to engage. Which I knew since he has been head-butting my pelvic bones for the past few days trying to find the way in. LOL

Best of all, my MW said that she would do a hb at 36 weeks if the baby did come now, even though she prefers to wait until 37 weeks. I don't really feel that birth is emminent, but knowing I am in "clear" territory for a hb is SUCH a great feeling!!

I am now beginning to get really excited for this birth!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 02:50 PM

wow, sounds like you're going to have a great birth! have you had a water birth before?
Old 01-17-2007, 03:11 PM

Sounds like you are so relaxed about this! Thats how I feel also

I couldn't get my birth support people to come to the meeting tonight (other then my mother . One is SO laid back I'm sure she will jump right in fine. My SIL is going to take pictures.. If she gets here in time . All have seen births so they have no fear and they are super supportive And the best support person I had last time was my mother.. DH was there but he isnt vary good at this.. he is not a hand on person and also passes out from the sight of blood.. so LOL he will be involed more with the pushing/birth more than anything..

sorry to hijack your thread

Can you believe we are going to have babies in the next 1-6 weeks!!
Old 01-17-2007, 05:13 PM

That all sounds just wonderful... I'm really glad all of your arrangements are made and now it's just a matter of time! I'm so excited for all of us, we get to see our babies really soon!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:59 PM

Congratulations! What a great feeling to be prepared and ready and on the same page with your "team" Oh my goodness....It is so soon for all of us. It's so exciting. I wish you such a beautiful & glorious birth!
Old 01-17-2007, 08:33 PM

exciting!! sounds like a great plan. Glad to know for #2 down the line that MA is a HB and MW friendly state - if I remember, before we move to the area this summer, I'd love to get some recs from you.

Good luck with the last few weeks!

User Tag List