Bedrest - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 01-19-2007, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got back from my second AFI and after pounding water all week, my fluid is down to a 4 (from last week's 7). I had an NST which was good but my BP is up again now too. It did my ear pressure points while on the monitor and the numbers were lower when she checked again, but still not great...can't remember what they were now.
The perinatologist wants me back Monday for another AFI and NST and if my fluid is any lower he may want to induce me. I'll probably refuse that if the NST is still "beautiful" like it was today. I spoke with the head midwife who agreed that it's something we want to avoid but said that the perinatologist is "conservative". Of course he is! He's still better than my old OB who'd have had me in the OR by now lol. They don't do the prostaglandins and pitocin is used very minimally I guess but in no way does it make this ok with me.
Anyway I'm on bedrest, and not happy :
I know the midwives will back me up if I refuse induction.
I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing KWIM?
#2 of 29 Old 01-19-2007, 10:14 PM

You are lucky that your mw will back you up if you refuse. I am overdue and had a 4 on my fluids at my bpp today and she told me that she would not attend me at home if i refuse the induction! I have to go back tomorrow for a repeat bpp in the morning and if the levels are not above a 5 im totally screwed and will be forced into induction tomorrow (my only other option would be a UC)... So far everything else in this pregnancy is perfect and they also told me that my NST was perfect - but that seemed to have no bearing on their decision.

This crap sucks!! Good Luck

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#3 of 29 Old 01-19-2007, 10:43 PM

I'm sorry!! Bedrest is no picnic, and it doesn't help that you've got some decisions to make that are stressing you out. I am glad that you've got quite a few people helping you make these decisions. (At least I hope that part is helpful rather than confusing!)

I hope that you can continue to keep in touch from your nest... please let us know how things are going!! It would be really hard with a toddler!! (I've got a 2 year old as well...)
#4 of 29 Old 01-19-2007, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

katie9143 sorry that we're in a similar boat, even though it does give me some comfort. Yeah weird how much importance gets placed on fluid when its such a subjective issue. The NST absolutley should make a difference!

And thanks Timneh. I will keep you guys posted. I'm too addicted to MDC not to I'm not sure how I'm supposed to be on bedrest with the kid, but oh well! He's good and everything, but he's still 2!
#5 of 29 Old 01-19-2007, 11:43 PM

Bedrest is not fun! Good luck with your next test. I hope all goes well!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#6 of 29 Old 01-19-2007, 11:48 PM

aw... we're all here for ya.. I hope you have another "beautiful" NST and everything works out perfectly
#7 of 29 Old 01-20-2007, 12:20 PM

Such a shame. It's all so subjective. I hope you get the results you'er looking for today!
#8 of 29 Old 01-20-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie9143 View Post
You are lucky that your mw will back you up if you refuse. I am overdue and had a 4 on my fluids at my bpp today and she told me that she would not attend me at home if i refuse the induction! I have to go back tomorrow for a repeat bpp in the morning and if the levels are not above a 5 im totally screwed and will be forced into induction tomorrow (my only other option would be a UC)... So far everything else in this pregnancy is perfect and they also told me that my NST was perfect - but that seemed to have no bearing on their decision.

This crap sucks!! Good Luck
This is the exact reason that my sister switched at 38wks to a homebirth, b/c the BC she was going to was obsessed with the BPP's and the NSt's. She ended up having a beautiful birth with no complications. She was so glad that she didn't give in and go to the hospital.
#9 of 29 Old 01-20-2007, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Wow switching at 38 weeks! I can understand though! I am planning a hospital birth though. I know the risk percentage is super small of rupture, but if I end up being the .01%, I don't want to have to spend precious time in transport. I really do love my midwives though. Even if they are at the mercy of this perinatologist, I can still make my own choices based on what THEY say KWIM? Last night the senior midwife said that with my history of low fluid (last pregnacy I was induced) that I may well just be someone who makes less than other people. Exactly!
When I said that I may refuse induction she was like "Yea ok. There'd be some paperwork" Then she told us to go home and have s_x so I can go into labor on my own and not have to worry about it LOL!
Anyway my point is that I won't be a blind/trusting fool this time that I Was last time and I will trust my own instincts. I just wish I could be 100% sure. That's the hard part.
Thanks for listening!
#10 of 29 Old 01-20-2007, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

double post!
#11 of 29 Old 01-20-2007, 07:07 PM

I'm sorry you are on bedrest. That can't be easy with a 2 year old. I don't know what I would do with dd. I hope look great on Monday!!
#12 of 29 Old 01-20-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWren View Post
Anyway my point is that I won't be a blind/trusting fool this time that I Was last time and I will trust my own instincts. I just wish I could be 100% sure. That's the hard part.
Thanks for listening!
: You are one smart momma!! Keep us updated and remember that no one can be 100% sure of anything

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#13 of 29 Old 01-20-2007, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks
I am really feeling that I will refuse this induction (assuming the NST is still good). I truly hope that I don't have to have a face to face with the perinatologist though. I'll get tongue tied for sure. I hope he just speaks through the midwives. I'd still refuse most likely but if he ended up spouting off about something that caught me off guard...I don't know. I'd get flustered. I guess I'll just go home and think about it and then call in my refusal later

Hey does anyone have any stats or info. on rate of cord difficulties in low fluid births or something similar?
TIA
#14 of 29 Old 01-21-2007, 01:12 AM

You know, you've got a point! If he says something that throws you off, it's not wrong to ask him for a day to consider your options, then call him (or not!) with your decision the next day. Just saying, "I'd like to sleep on this" or "Let's talk about our options, and I'd like another day to consider all of them equally" wouldn't be putting either of you in a "situation".

I don't have stats for you but hopefully someone here will!
#15 of 29 Old 01-21-2007, 09:13 AM

so sorry hon!

i hope things go better for you this week. i don't know a thing about any of the tests you are refering to, so all i'll offer is support.

(i have heard the whole fluid thing is really subjective and maybe not very reliable)

it sucks not to be able to do anything, but i'm pretty much shot after 2 PM my self so sometimes i feel like i'm on bedrest too!!

stay warm, it's cold out there today!!

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#16 of 29 Old 01-21-2007, 06:06 PM

In the same boat with the fluid thing/ bedrest.
Pain in the rear.
I had one 4 afi and the next was 7 so "whatever you're doing, keep it up."
#17 of 29 Old 01-21-2007, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Dooney I had one that was 7 and the next one was 4 lol!
I was so sure too that after drinking SO much water all week that my numbers would be up. But yea, they sure are subjective tests. It's frustrating.
Are they talking induction with you too?

Thanks for the support guys
#18 of 29 Old 01-21-2007, 06:25 PM

We ASKED, is there anything we can do to help this? and he said no, not really. On my own, I have been drinking more water and laying only on my left side, and that seems to have been helping.
He hasn't said anything about induction, he's really not an intervention kind of guy. It was the other doctor who put me on bedrest when my dr. was away doing surgery. I wonder if my doctor would have even done that.
#19 of 29 Old 01-21-2007, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

The perinatologist who works w/ my midwives is actually less conservative than the old OB practice I used to use. They induced me with an AFI of 4 last time. I'm told that this guy will want to "watch and wait" if it remains at 4tomorrow.
So funny how they operate under the assumption that its an accurate test though. That's what kills me
#20 of 29 Old 01-21-2007, 08:25 PM

Motherwren there was a discussion in the chilbirth professionals forum today. Check it out http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=599318
#21 of 29 Old 01-21-2007, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!
Yeah the more I read, the more I feel reinforced in my decision to refuse induction. Now if the NST isn't good, that's another story. But I don't know how to evaluate those myself so, I'm looking at taking the word of others at face value there.
I wonder where my GBS+ comes into play here too. I don't think the midwife on call when I was there last necessarily knew about it.
#22 of 29 Old 01-21-2007, 10:18 PM

no advice here, just . sounds like a really frustrating situation

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#23 of 29 Old 01-21-2007, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support
#24 of 29 Old 01-22-2007, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Update:
My fluid was a 5 today so they're leaving me alone for the moment. The NST was good too. Yay!
#25 of 29 Old 01-22-2007, 09:16 PM

Ohh that's really good news... maybe this will give you enough time to go into labor on your own!! I hope so!!
#26 of 29 Old 01-23-2007, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

For any following this, here's my update:

I had my appointment with my midwife today and it went very well. She felt the baby said that there seemed to her to be ample fluid, more than they were detecting from the u/s. She said that her feelings/intuition about this mirrored mine and admitted that alot of that stuff is just legal, that she can't write "ample fluid detected via palpation" in my chart since it wouldn't hold up in court. She said that she agreed with me on all points and trusted my judgement and mental capacity to make these decisions. She even got emotional about it when she said that felt at peace and that all was well with the baby.
I am a happy woman today
Thanks for the support.
#27 of 29 Old 01-23-2007, 07:42 PM

I had my 3rd NST today and it was "just great" just like the other two. 3rd AFI is Friday, I wish they would just leave me alone. All these appointments are messing with DH's sleep schedule (3rd shift SUCKS) so he's tired all the time and doesn't get a lot done around the house, and I'm not allowed to do a whole lot either. My fluid's not going to change just by looking at it. Why is it that the "bad" ultrasound is correct and the one that said I'm just fine means that bedrest and lots of appointments makes my fluid go up?
#28 of 29 Old 01-23-2007, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Dooney I had the same thing at first, 2 AFI's, one was fine, one wasn't...They chose the one that wasn't. Honestly as long as the NST's are good, I don't place any weight on the AFI. Especially since (I was told this today) being a plus size mom can throw off the numbers. Numbers that I assume were "off" to begin with!
It's disgusting how much stock they put in that stupid test. My midwife admitted to me today that she has induced people for low fluid (under the order of Dr. Crisis of course) only to have them gush tons of water. She tells me stuff that she doesn't tell other people lol.
Anyway it was good to have my feelings confirmed and to have her back me up.
It's a sad fact though that someone else (less informed) will just take everything at face value and be another failed induction/c section statistic.
#29 of 29 Old 01-23-2007, 08:04 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page