Induction question...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-23-2007, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my doc appt today and the doc said if I dont go into labor by next tues he would schedule an induction for me my cervix is still high and closed and very firm my questionis should I go or not??? my dd isnt till feb 7th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 01-23-2007, 10:34 PM

That sounds very odd and medically unsound. Does he have and actual reason for wanting to do this??
#3 of 20 Old 01-23-2007, 10:35 PM

Of course not!

You've not even reached your due date. Wait until your due date to assess how you are feeling. Then, most women feel comfortable (well, not comfortable physically!) going until 42 weeks before induction.

Unless you have something else going on--like pre-e, for example--then I can't see why he'd even want to induce you. Did he give you a reason?
#4 of 20 Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 PM

You need to decide for yourself if you want the induction or not. Without good medical reason- which you haven't given in your post- there is no medical need so the decision is completely yours. Think about what is important to you, your family and your birth plans.

The other thing you may want to consider is your Bishop Score, which isn't really conclusive but can give you an indicator of your success with an induction. You can learn more about it, and how to calculate it here:
http://mother-care.ca/bishop.htm

Good luck with whatever you decide!
#5 of 20 Old 01-23-2007, 10:52 PM

Wait as long as you can, definately past your due date. An induction is much harder than a natural birth and you are monitered the entire time, tethered to machines, no food or drink. Once they start they expect that baby out within twelve hours or off to the Operating Room for a c-section. Be extremely careful before you agree.
#6 of 20 Old 01-23-2007, 11:01 PM

Um yeah...NO! like the previous posters is there some concern with your baby?

I switched Dr.'s with DD at 38 weeks because of a induction happy Dr. if it isn't a real reason or even if it is get a independent 2nd opinion first.

And hugs sorry they are stressing you at this point.
#7 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 12:13 AM

It is so frustrating when OB's want to induce labour when it isn't medically indicated.
Did he give you any reasons for wanting to induce you? I had an induction for my first birth and although I managed to do it without pain medication, it definitely was NOT easy and it was also a real challenge to avoid other medical interventions because of the cascade effect.
If an induction isn't MEDICALLY indicated, then I would avoid it at all costs. Go for non-stress tests and biophysical profiles - get your bishops score, but remember it's really not for the best for your health or that of your baby's to have an elective induction.
If your body isn't ready to give birth and your baby isn't ready to be born, why rush it because of an arbitrary date!?
Just my .02
Jess
#8 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 12:14 AM

I would flat out refuse an induction that early unless there was some really, really good medical reason for it. Did he give a reason why he wants to do that?

My OB scared me into an induction with my 2nd baby at 39wks, because he just knew she was already over 9lbs. Being very young & naive I consented which was a huge mistake. The induction failed and ended in a c/sec, because my body was simply not ready to give birth yet. And, to top it off my dd only weighed 7-5, so he was way off. Thankfully I've gone on to have 4 beautiful VBACs since then, and all babies have been well over 8lbs.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#9 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 12:16 AM

have you researched the risks of induction? induction is just the very beginning of a long line of interventions that you would likely not care for and would put your baby at risk for harm.

if you are not due until the 7th, then you are not "over" due until feb. 27th, the last day of 43 weeks pregnant. until that day i wouldn't consider induction.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#10 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 12:19 AM

Is there something happening with you or the baby that is concerning him - is he thinking it is safer for the baby to be born early? I'm due the 7th as well...
#11 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 12:19 AM

Oy! Even sometimes when they say it's medically indicated, it's not really. See some of my other recent posts. It's been a bit of a hot topic for me as well.
It wouldn't even be a question though if the only reason given was going "past date". That's a resounding NO WAY!
#12 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 12:33 AM

Unless yours or the babies lives are in danger then a big hell no! The ripening agents that they will likely use on your cervix are deadly and not recommended for use in pg women. So, unless it is absolutely medically necessary I would not let them near me with that stuff.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#13 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 01:52 AM

Just to add, I was induced at 41 weeks with my son, because I had high blood pressure. My body was not ready and it took 50 hours from start to finish. It was VERY painful, even with meds and an epidural! Fortunately I birthed him vaginally but I so wish I could go back in time and do more to let nature take its course.

If you are both healthy I wouldn't do it. Especially if your cervix is not ready. So many inductions end in c-sections when Mom isn't ready to go. I can't imagine a doctor trying to induce when there is no reason, other than convenience, especially when you're not even due yet!
#14 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 02:49 AM

Ummmm....I definetly agree with my fellow posters. I am just a first time mom, but everything I know about induction says that you should wait until 41-42 weeks, unless of course there are other medical complications. There is a lot of controversy over whether being inducted at 42 weeks is even "necessary". It depends on the situation....if amniotic fluid is decreasing a lot, high blood pressure, etc. I'm not really adding anything new am I? Just really wanted to tell you not to listen to this doctor unless there is a great reason for induction. Let baby come out when it's time.

*Meag* SAHM to two girls 6 & 3 and our new little boy!! namaste.gif
#15 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 11:09 AM

Just wanted to agree with the other posters here. Unless yours or baby's life is in danger then that would be a no. What was his reasoning behind wanting to induce before your due date?
#16 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 12:43 PM

I agree, induction before 41 weeks w/o a medical reason (REAL medical reason!) is bad practice.

I went 42.4 weeks with my daughter... at 38 weeks with this baby, I feel nowhere near ready. I'm due 2/7, and when 2/21 comes, and I'm still pregnant, THEN I might consider it....

Early induction leads to high c/s rates, infant problems (lots of kids w/immature lungs still at 37-38 weeks), NICU and more... babies and our bodies are meant to know how long to keep them in.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#17 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 01:06 PM

I agree with everyone else. Unless it is truly medically necessary I wouldn't do it. I was induced with dd; and while I still birthed vaginally, it was not the birth I had hoped for.
#18 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 05:56 PM

(from March DDC)

NO!

I was induced at 39wks with an unfavorable cervix. One day of Cervidil, 12 hours of pitocin. Did not dilate at all, 80% effaced. Went to the OR with a cesarean the third day in the hospital. I was not ready to give birth. I feel my doctor was negligent in inducing me with unfavorable conditions for an extremely mild case of (IMO misdiagnosed) PIH.

The increased risks of induction and/or cesarean are great and the only way I'd ever consent to an induction is if the risks of me continuing to be pregnant outweigh the risks of induction/cesarean.

You can't MAKE your body have a baby if it's not ready regardless of the method of induction.

IMO, if it can wait a week, then it's not an emergency or compelling enough reason to induce...
#19 of 20 Old 01-25-2007, 01:47 PM

Check out www.childbirthconnection.com
Find out the risks with every drug they plan to use.
Pitocin, cervadil, cytotec have all been known to cause distress and harm to moms and baby's. If it is not medically indicated (and suspecting a BIG baby is not a medical reason) you have the right to say, "No Thank you".
It's your choice not the doc's.
Whatever you choose you have to live with the consequences, not the doctor.
#20 of 20 Old 01-26-2007, 12:45 AM

I would say hell no. He's not having your baby, you are.

Induction (pitocin) hurts. Its unnatural. You could have a baby that then has breathing difficulties and latching issues. You could need a c-section because induction is fake labor and sometimes the woman's body does not respond and so at the end of the "time limit" then they c-section you.

It may be convenient for him to schedule induction, but I would just say no.

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page