biophysical profile and Nonstress test? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2007, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone, I am 35 weeks this week, ("due" date is feb 26). I just had an OB appt and u/s and they said the baby had iugr and signed me up for a nonstress test and biophysical profile.

What should I expect with these tests? What do they do? She also said that these tests would probably need to be repeated weekly until the baby is born.

Thanks mamas!
~Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2007, 01:26 PM

Well the NST traces baby's heartrate during movements. They hook you up to a monitor and you will usually push a little button when you feel movement, for 20 minutes or so, as long as it takes to get a good read. I guess you'll also probably get an ultrasound too, an AFI (amniotic fluid index) and to check the baby's size. Please keep in mind that those tend to be inaccurate tests though so try not to let anyone scare you.
Here is a link to an article about the BPP. I don't know how this relates when you have a diagnosis of IUGR but it's the only one I know of. It floats around here a lot. http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/biophysical.asp
If you go through some of my posts you'll see that there are a few of us around here dealing with these issues.
I hope your baby is ok. Please keep us updated.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:27 PM

With the NST they will hook you up to a fetal heartrate monitor and a monitor that detects contractions and movement...pretty non-invasive. I had one Monday and the only thing was that baby was asleep so they gave me some apple juice....they got PLENTY of movement after that. Then they did an u/s to measure fluid pockets and make sure that baby had plenty of fluid to swim in, it was pretty quick (maybe 5 min.).
Old 01-25-2007, 05:01 PM

Let us know how your appt goes.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:53 PM

Yep, pretty easy, noninvasive.. take a book for the nst and have a snack as you go in (juice in the car or waiting room) and something with you like a banana - it's faster if baby is active... they need 20 min of "active strip" minimum.

Are they dx you because of fundal height? Or anohter reason? I don't think tey can formally dx IUGR w/o a bpp and nst.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa2976 View Post

Are they dx you because of fundal height? Or anohter reason? I don't think tey can formally dx IUGR w/o a bpp and nst.

Fundal height and u/s. Baby has a brain malformation (Dandy-Walker) so I have multiple u/s to monitor his brain development.

Appt is today, I'll check back in after.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:27 PM

How did it go?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:50 PM

I am 29 weeks and My babe has IUGR. I have been having NST's and BPP for several weeks now.
Not tough at all, but I was told that if they did not get a good strip from the NST within 40 min that I would be put in hopsital for more monitoring and possible delivery.
But at 35 weeks, your babe should be Ok even if delivered early.
I hope your tests are good though, more time in mommy is usually better anyway....
Good luck!
Old 01-31-2007, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Everything went well, we had enough movement within about 3 min for it to "count" but they left me on the monitors for 20 min, just to be sure. AFI was 20, so tahts good also!

User Tag List