Baby has turned breech - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-26-2007, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I woke up this morning to a HUGE baby movement. Baby had been head down but not engaged, her head slightly towards my left hip. I feared that the baby had flipped breech. As soon as I had had this massive movement I felt awful. I honestly wasn't sure if I was in early labor or coming down with the flu or what. I hurt and felt nauseous.

So we went to my scheduled ultrasound appointment (I was going to cancel it but didn't). The trip is an hour long and it was worse than when I was in labor with Cate. Thankfully they wern't too backed up at the ultrasound place and I got in quickly. I was having shakes and then sweating---pretty much writhing on the table in this hot little room. The tech did his thing and my mama-instinct was absolutely right. My baby girl is now a complete breech. WAH!!!!!! I'm 38 weeks tomorrow, this is SO not good. I'm feeling a bit better tonight, physically, but emotionally I'm a wreck. I feel as if I've had a stomach flu for 3 days.

My midwife left for Mexico today (no backup). She isn't back until the 4th. I can't say for sure but I'm 99% sure she won't attempt a breech birth at home and I honestly don't know if I'd even want her to try. She doesn't have hospital privileges so I might have to see the horrible, condesending OB, Dr. Evil that I never wanted to see again. My only hope is that this makes me 'high risk' enough to get an appointment with Dr. B, another MUCH more open (and nice) OB. I'm not sure that ANY Dr's here will try to manually flip the baby---I've never heard of any of them assisting a vaginal breech either. I'm trying all the positions I can to coax baby to flip. I'm calling the accupunturist tomorrow. I'm still having a ton of movement so hopefully she'll tumble back into place.

I guess that good news is that everything else looked fine, baby girl is practicing her breathing and all the other positive things they look for in a biophysical profile.

Ironically my birthpool was in the mail today. I started crying when I noticed another parcel, from an online friend with tiny little scratch mittens and a bassinett sheet. You have no idea how much better that made me feel. Then I got to our house to find a bag on my back door from a crunchy mama I go to playgroup with. In it was 'The Thinking Woman's Guide to Birth' (That has a WONDERFUL chapter on breeches) and a whole bunch of pregnancy tea and goodies. I called her to thank her and ended up talking for almost an hour. The compassion of other women was exactly what I needed. How lucky am I?

I'm sorry to be such a whiner. I'm just so frustrated and living remotely really is limiting my options.
#2 of 11 Old 01-26-2007, 04:54 AM

It is totally understandable to be upset! As you know if baby can flip breech, baby can flip back to vertex! I am glad you got some sisterly love today!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#3 of 11 Old 01-26-2007, 08:14 AM

since she turned once, it means she is still small enough to turn again.... don't lose hope, i bet she'll turn right befor eoyu go into labor!!

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#4 of 11 Old 01-26-2007, 09:48 AM

I'm sending you some major baby turning vibes. I hope she flips for you.
#5 of 11 Old 01-26-2007, 10:19 AM

I am glad to see the baby is ok and I am sorry she is breech, hopefully she will flip back.

When I was pregnant my DD was breech and 4 weeks before my due date I opted to do a Manual Aversion, it was a tad uncomfortable after wards, maybe how you feel now. BUT IT WORKED and I delevered with no issues at all. She stayed once my OB flipped her. It took all about 5 minutes and she was in the right position.

Hang in there and good luck!
#6 of 11 Old 01-26-2007, 11:40 AM

Ah mama, she's got space! Talk nice, tell her what she needs to do, and it will all work out! Trust her, trust your body.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#7 of 11 Old 01-26-2007, 01:07 PM

I hope she flips back for you too!!
#8 of 11 Old 01-26-2007, 02:27 PM

If it makes you feel any better, my ds flipped breech at 41 weeks 3 days in my last pregnancy. I was beside myself with fear!! But he flipped back that night and stayed head down for birth. And he was over 8 lbs at birth but still had lots of room!

This time I have a little one who likes to be in any and all positions (at 35+ weeks), but it's fav is transverse, which is by far not my fav! But I'm hoping that by the time it's ready to be born, it will be head down.

Hopefully your little one will flip back head down for you soon! Good luck!
#9 of 11 Old 01-26-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiemommy View Post
If it makes you feel any better, my ds flipped breech at 41 weeks 3 days in my last pregnancy. I was beside myself with fear!! But he flipped back that night and stayed head down for birth. And he was over 8 lbs at birth but still had lots of room!
what the heck is that anyway??? "hey mom, i can't find the door!" crazy!!

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#10 of 11 Old 01-26-2007, 02:53 PM

I sooooooooooooo feel for you... I went today and the baby was head down just a few days ago, but the yesterday I had SOOOOOOOOOOO much movement I knew he was doing something.. He is now tranverse, and I am really upset over this as well.
Hoping baby turns for you soon *hugs*
#11 of 11 Old 01-26-2007, 03:03 PM

There is still time for your baby to flip back! Just as quickly and easily as your baby turned breech, she could also flip back head down.

My 4th flipped breech 2 days before he was born. I spent those 2 days crying and crying, taking homepathics, laying upside down on an ironing board, and praying like crazy for him to turn. He did not turn, but it ended up being one of my easiest birth/labors despite the fact that he was breech. It all happened so FAST! Even if I had been planning on going to the hospital there simply would not have been time for a c/sec. He would've been a car birth. He literally came flying out feet first with my first push. I had no tearing, he had no complications, and he was over 8lbs and I'm petite. So, it is possible to have a fantastic breech birth too! Still I completely understand being uncomfortable with the idea. I hope your baby will turn for you, so you can go into labor with a peaceful mind.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page