the insanity of a rural homebirth in winter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-26-2007, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ack! it's snowing and the wind chill here is -15.

it's cold cold cold. and the roads are crap.

i was so worried i was going to go into labor last night. i had prodromal contractions for 4 hours and i kept wondeirng if they were going to get stronger.... yeah i could see calling everyone to come out on the coldest night of the year. :

just crazy.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#2 of 14 Old 01-26-2007, 11:26 AM

I was worried about it too. My homebirth wasn't to be anyways (we transferred) but I was so thankful for a mild start to winter here in Ontario.

Do your midwives come from far away? I used to joke that dh could go get one of ours with the tractor if necessary - she lived about 5 minutes away by car.
#3 of 14 Old 01-26-2007, 11:40 AM

Honeybee I was worried last night too. They were predicting another 6-12 for us (and maybe you too?). I didn't want to have to make it to the hospital. I may have had a UC if I went into labor! I don't even have a doula now. Oh well!
#4 of 14 Old 01-26-2007, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

wren, where are you? have you met any of the women from ICAN? i know there are at least 2 women in rochester who would come and attend you for nothing at home, if they were close by they could come to you. on ski-doos, right?

what the heck happened to your doula?

have you called alia?

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#5 of 14 Old 01-26-2007, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~MamaJava~*~ View Post
I was worried about it too. My homebirth wasn't to be anyways (we transferred) but I was so thankful for a mild start to winter here in Ontario.

Do your midwives come from far away? I used to joke that dh could go get one of ours with the tractor if necessary - she lived about 5 minutes away by car.

yeah, having the birth about a month ago would have been perfect.

my mws are about 90 minutes away. also in the country. so it could be yucky there or yucky here or yucky in both places.... ah yeah, the joy of lake effect snow microclimates.....

if all else fails i will call my friend's husband who is a big animal vet and have him go get them in his big SUV. he thinks driving in a blizzard to an emergency is FUN!

#6 of 14 Old 01-26-2007, 11:54 AM

No I've never took my fat a** to a meeting. The doula pulled a "no show" for the dinner we scheduled. : Is alia the doula you recommended a long time ago? I was thinking it was too late to get anybody.
#7 of 14 Old 01-26-2007, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWren View Post
No I've never took my fat a** to a meeting. The doula pulled a "no show" for the dinner we scheduled. : Is alia the doula you recommended a long time ago? I was thinking it was too late to get anybody.
yeah, call her, tell her i recommended you, tell her the story and ask if there is anyway she can help. (she is on the AP list too)

she came very highly recommended to me.

#8 of 14 Old 01-26-2007, 12:40 PM

Hugs to the rural mamas!! I'm not that far rural, my midwives are 10, 30 & 45 minutes away. I joked a month ago when the weather hit a record high 59 degrees before Christmas. Now it's like 8 below and I just know it's gonna snow when I go into labor. We're looking at snow for Monday We only have enough parking for 4 vehicles if it does snow too hummm pray for no snow.

Shelley, mother, wife, sister, aunt, friend.
#9 of 14 Old 01-26-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
yeah, call her, tell her i recommended you, tell her the story and ask if there is anyway she can help. (she is on the AP list too)

She came very highly recommended to me.
Not sure who she is on there. I can't tell by the list of user names. I was looking through your old PM's to me but of course just deleted most of that folder just yesterday. Didn't she have a website? Would you mind sharing it again?
Thanks
#10 of 14 Old 01-26-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.motherdoulacare.com/Contact.html

this is her contact info. hope she can help!

#11 of 14 Old 01-26-2007, 01:02 PM

Thank you honeybee! I suppose that what is meant to be will be...
#12 of 14 Old 01-26-2007, 01:08 PM

Wait are you using her? THAT could be a conflict.
#13 of 14 Old 01-26-2007, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

no no geneva is way to far for us.

we are using someone from suburban buffalo.

PS... she seems to be really committed to hospital doula-ing... she doesn't have any experiecne with homebirth, nor does she seem much interested in it. (which makes sense, most homebirths don't have a doula)

#14 of 14 Old 01-26-2007, 01:39 PM

Right right. Well I'm in Ontario which isn't that close to Geneva but closer than you for sure. From her website it looks like she would just charge some mileage.
Really homebirths don't usually have doulas? Boy I have a lot to learn. Makes sense though since your midwife wont be running off to help other laboring Moms. This other lady who I was going to hire was so anti-hospital though that I thought her negatives vibes may actually work against me in that regard. Very weird! She'd have been good in an unplanned snow storm homebirth though!
Anyway I just wrote a long winded e mail to Alia. Here goes nothing!
Thanks again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page