Apparently my cervix is public domain. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-26-2007, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was at rehearsal last night after having pre-labor stuff all day yesterday. Yes, I was cranky. At the end of the rehearsal, 3 women aquaintances asked me if I was "being checked yet." WTH? : I know they are older ladies who were probably knocked out for their births and are just curious, but man. I actually felt a little offended, which does not happen very often.

My response was that I am not being checked because everything changes in labor anyway so I really don't care how dilated or effaced I am. This baby will come when it is ready. (I had this conversation with my midwife on Wednesday. She offered to check at my next appointment, but only if I wanted to know. She doesn't really care either.) I have also been known to dilate really quickly (my last was 7 cm to birth in 15 minutes).

They would probably all have heart attacks if they realized that I am planning a HB...

I wish I had a better response, such as a "mind your own business" without being rude.

BTW- No I am not having twins, so people (IRL) can stop asking. It is so rude-

Gee- you looked bloated- are you constipated?
#2 of 12 Old 01-26-2007, 02:35 PM

OMG!
I am so sorry. Why is it that everyone seems to be so ignorant? You're not alone in your frustration with the masses UGH! :
#3 of 12 Old 01-26-2007, 05:31 PM

Next time they ask I would say that you were a 9 & see what they do~

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#4 of 12 Old 01-26-2007, 06:02 PM

Sometimes I really can't stand people!!! Ugh!
#5 of 12 Old 01-26-2007, 06:05 PM

Yeah I think it would be funny if you asked about their husbands penis...

Yeah everyone wants to know..
#6 of 12 Old 01-27-2007, 03:42 PM

my favorite answer is "i checked myself, everything is fine."

somehow babies got born for millions of years without constant cervical checks by OBs.... amazing eh?

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#7 of 12 Old 01-27-2007, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
my favorite answer is "i checked myself, everything is fine."

somehow babies got born for millions of years without constant cervical checks by OBs.... amazing eh?
Oh gosh- then these women would probably be totally shocked that I would put my fingers in my own body.

Forget douching with listerine (I saw an ad for it in an ancient "Better Homes and Gardens" or some other womens magazine)- but actually putting my own fingers in? What kind of woman would I be? /end sarcasm
#8 of 12 Old 01-27-2007, 10:32 PM

Hmm - I get alot of "was this planned?" and "are you done" or "don't you know how that happens". Gee, that's not rude or anything. As if my sex life is anyone's business but mine. You don't see me asking people with one kid "hey, what's wrong, are you infertile". That would be HORRIBLY rude and very uncharitable. But the other way around is OK, I guess. Ooh, I really like being compared to bunnies too.:

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#9 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 02:40 AM

well you *do* have a lot of kids amy, but duh! you're catholic!!! people are just so rude!

my cousin has seven kids and man, i could give you a list of hysterical stuff to say back to people. one of the things she used to say to complete strangers is "you know, i *am* really confused about how this keeps happening, can you explain it to me???" and then she'd have this really blank look on her face. or she's say "my husband is a rabbi (true) and he needs to fill up the front row so someone will listen to his sermons without falling asleep!" this one made people shut up fast.

it was really really funny some of the stuff she would say.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#10 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 05:26 PM

I so wish my dh was a rabbi so I could use that line! I may have to use it anyway. Of course then my kids would say "we're not Jewish" LOL.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#11 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 07:30 PM

When DH went to tell his parents that we were expecting DS (we got pregnant 4 wks after DD3 was born) his dad said, "haven't you guys figured out how this works?!" DH's response was, "NO! You never told me!"

I'm so tired of people telling me how sorry they are for me when they see me out with my crew. And in front of my older two girls, who are not biologically mine, but ARE my children. my oldest asked me if I was sorry that I was her mommy.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#12 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad8 View Post
I so wish my dh was a rabbi so I could use that line! I may have to use it anyway.
Hey, mine is! I'll have to remember that one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page