leaking breastmilk before birth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-06-2007, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had very small amounts of milk leaking for several months, just every now and then. Today, I have a large spot on my shirt that is about the size of a silver dollar on one side and there are tons of smaller spots on both sides. I just have on the shirt only (no bra) if that gives an idea of how much is leaking. My question is, does this mean I am really close to going into labor? Does anyone know? I am due 2-27. What experiences did you all have with previous births and breastmilk leaking before the births?

::
#2 of 7 Old 02-06-2007, 01:44 AM

It's totally normal to leak some colostrum (you'll have milk usually within 2-5 days after birth) while you're pregnant. And, it's also totally normal to leak nothing while pregnant! I remember being about 29 weeks along with my first and waking up to crunchy spots on my shirt. I'd been laying on my boob while I was sleeping.

I don't think it has anything to do with when you will go into labor. I leaked as early as 29 weeks and didn't deliver until 41, and I was induced. I'm not leaking much this time around, but my 2 year old son is still nursing. I had TONS of milk after he was born, when it came in - I always had more than enough but again, I know of moms who never leaked anything while pregnant and still had great milk supplies. So I don't think leaking necessarily means one thing or another. I liked knowing my body was gearing up for nursing a baby though.
#3 of 7 Old 02-06-2007, 02:08 AM

I was leaking a fair amount early on so much so that I almost got a new pump to relieve the pressure! (old pump broke )

It was reassuring to know everything was getting ready though.

mum to a crew...
#4 of 7 Old 02-06-2007, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. It is so exciting to have breastmilk

::
#5 of 7 Old 02-06-2007, 02:18 AM

This is my first too (assuming this is #1 for you) so what do I know, but I agree that leaking has little to do with labor coming on. I am due anyday now and have not leaked this whole pregnancy.
I asked a lactation consultant (who taught my breastfeeding class) about my lack of leaking. She said leaking/not leaking has no correlation with milk production, and it is not a concern. It also varies greatly between women. One person could leak steadily for months and the next woman won't leak at all until her milk comes in after birth. The only thing that might be indicative of poor milk production is no change in breast size during pregnancy. Definetly no problem there. I went from a C to a DD!
The only thing I've read about breasts and labor is that nipple stimulation and warm compresses on breasts can sometimes bring on contractions and get labor started due to the oxytocin that your body releases then. So, unless you're leaking because of nipple stimulation or heat, it probably is no indication of whether you'll go into labor soon.
Love your name, BTW.

*Meag* SAHM to two girls 6 & 3 and our new little boy!! namaste.gif
#6 of 7 Old 02-06-2007, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preggymeaggy View Post
The only thing that might be indicative of poor milk production is no change in breast size during pregnancy.
I don't think that's true at all. I'm not a lactation consultant or anything but I'm about to have my third nursling and my breasts really don't grow during pregnancy. They look different, and the aerolas darker and stretch but my cup size doesn't change at all. Even when my milk comes in, which is usually day 2 for me, my breasts are only bigger for a couple of weeks and then I go back to my normal B cup. I have never had any nursing difficulties. Just my experience!
#7 of 7 Old 02-06-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mimi View Post
I don't think that's true at all. I'm not a lactation consultant or anything but I'm about to have my third nursling and my breasts really don't grow during pregnancy. They look different, and the aerolas darker and stretch but my cup size doesn't change at all. Even when my milk comes in, which is usually day 2 for me, my breasts are only bigger for a couple of weeks and then I go back to my normal B cup. I have never had any nursing difficulties. Just my experience!
I am not a lactation consultant either, but I was passing along information that one had given me. I think the fact that your breasts change AT ALL (areola coloration and stretching) and the fact that they change size once your milk comes in (even for a short time)....would be what she was talking about.
She also never came out and said "If your breasts don't change size...you will not have sufficient milk." No.....she just said that it is one thing they look at/watch for. Since I don't have a problem with breast change...I didn't go any further with that conversation. Every woman and her breasts are different. I'm glad that you've had awesome breastfeeding experiences.

*Meag* SAHM to two girls 6 & 3 and our new little boy!! namaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page