Had my HBA2C on the 16th, birth story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-27-2007, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, Finally I am getting around to writing.
My brief history:
I had a c/s at 26 weeks with my daughter after she ceased movement for a week due to her placenta giving out. That surgery revealed a malformation of my uterus called a unicornuate uterus. They did a low-transverse incision.
My son was born at 36 weeks by c/s because my doctors were terrified of my labor and I was having early labor stuff. They also told me that my malformed uterus wouldn't go full term ever and that this was probably the real thing. They were afraid my incision wasn't truly low because I was cut so early. That surgery revealed that it truly was low-transverse.

I decided to try a vbac this time because it was really important to me to learn to trust my body instead of being afraid of it. This has bled over into all aspects of my life where I never feel safe or trust my instincts. I found a birth educator/midwife from out of state to help me. There was no one in my home state that could help. My midwife empowered me and really believed in me. My husband was supportive too.
I prayed that my body would slowly open and the baby would drop down lower over time preparing for birth. That is what happened. I was effacing and dilating and contracting since about week 34ish.
At 5:00 on Feb. 16th my water broke. I called friends for prayers. We set up the birth pool, had a fire in the wood stove, and got all the birth supplies out. Our midwife was out of cell range and didn't get our message until 6. She came immediately. Our neighbor brought over her 8 year old and some food for my 2 kids. She read to them and gave them lots of attention while my husband and I were together. The contractions got pretty intense around 6ish and my neighbor assured me that they were supposed to feel that intense (I was wondering).
All of a sudden, the intense contracting (which was very obviously cervical opening contractions) changed to an intense desire to push. So I started pushing with the force that my body wanted to push with. I wasn't breathing very well during some of those pushes and decided to have some oxygen. After that everything mellowed out really nicely; the painful contractions were gone and every now and then I had to push. I got quite a bit of rest time in between the pushing. I kept feeling like the baby was probably going to come sometime soon but wasn't sure because I thought my labor would last a long time.
The midwife arrived at 8:30 ish. I could feel the head getting lower. I only pushed when I had the desire and quit the moment it went away, my midwife taught me that this was the body's wisdom. It worked well because it opened my vagina just enough each time to avoid any major tearing. It took a few good rounds of pushing to get the head all the way out. He turned and with one little push the body came right out. I picked him up and brought him to my chest and he cried the moment he was out of the water. He was pink while he was being born and had apgars of 10.
My kids were there, we got the whole thing on video and feel so blessed to have had our baby at home. He weighed 8 2oz and came a week after his due date.
#2 of 10 Old 02-27-2007, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
wow, I must have been meant to read this right now as I just clicked onto MDC and scrolled down and this popped out at me. From one hba2c to another...WAY TO GO...way to trust, listen, believe, hope, witness, know, surrender, realease and BIRTH your baby and yourself! Congrats to you and your family! :
#3 of 10 Old 02-28-2007, 12:24 AM

Congratulations Tiffany on a beautiful birth!! Does your baby have his name yet?

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#4 of 10 Old 02-28-2007, 12:26 AM

Congratulations mama!
#5 of 10 Old 02-28-2007, 02:25 AM

Good job! That is wonderful that you were able to trust your body after all you have been through to try things naturally! Don't forget to let us know his name so I can add it to the announcements thread!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#6 of 10 Old 02-28-2007, 10:48 AM

what a perfect birth and YAY for your awesome midwife too!

bright blessings!

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#7 of 10 Old 02-28-2007, 12:05 PM

What an empowering birth story! Congrats!!
#8 of 10 Old 02-28-2007, 12:34 PM

Congratulations!
#9 of 10 Old 02-28-2007, 09:54 PM

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#10 of 10 Old 03-02-2007, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations, mama!! What an awesome story! There's nothing quite as empowering and rewarding as an HBAC - except an HBA2C! Great job!!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page