overactive letdown/oversupply - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 7 Old 11-28-2008, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
 
mom2emnbec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SC
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know either of these can cause gas, reflux, etc problems. Is there any way to know for sure if you have either, I think I have both. All of my breastfed babies have had some degree of reflux issues. I am now dealing with it with baby #5 and was wondering if there were things I can do to help. Only thing we have been doing is the nursing on one side for several feeds. Any other tips?
mom2emnbec is offline  
#2 of 7 Old 11-28-2008, 11:32 PM
 
nimblemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: IN
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had this problem with both of mine and it was worse with my first. I too learned to feed on one side for severl feedings with my second and it seemed to help. I have also read that you can catch the foremilk right at letdown either in a towel or in a cup and let the spray die down a bit before the baby really starts to eat. This helps lessen all the extra foremilk that the baby may receive and hopefully deals with any extra gulping/gasping the baby may experience due to trying to keeep up with the flow.
nimblemama is offline  
#3 of 7 Old 11-29-2008, 12:00 AM
 
momofPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had this same issue for both children, but seems to be much worse this time around. I have tried to catch the foremilk in a cup and let the spray die down a bit. It worked very well for me. I know they say not to pump, but if you have time it helps to pump a bit of the foremilk before the feeding. I was also told to nurse in the side-laying position, or reclined back letting gravity work.

I was wondering, once you notice that things get better do you still continue the block feedings?
momofPL is offline  
#4 of 7 Old 11-29-2008, 03:41 PM
 
ewe+lamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: just journeying along .....
Posts: 2,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As already mentioned with my kids I let them take a little milk to start the let down then take them off so that the foremilk would, literally spray out into the cup and then put them back on to take some foremilk and then get to the fatty hindmilk, it worked for us, too much foremilk can cause very painful gas in the intestine - what I also found, especially for my dd when I had LOTS and LOTS of milk that she had to re-learn to nurse at 7 months - just something to be aware of.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
ewe+lamb is offline  
#5 of 7 Old 11-29-2008, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
 
mom2emnbec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SC
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh never thought of the side laying thing, maybe that is why she prefers nursing while laying in bed if that is what you mean? I have had issues where the child refuses to NIP and was baffled but then noticed that she is pretty picky at home too and a lot of times if she is at her worst I can always convince her to take a good feeding by feeding her in bed, she is much easier to feed in bed.

I have never stopped the block feedings, I did it with all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofPL View Post
I have had this same issue for both children, but seems to be much worse this time around. I have tried to catch the foremilk in a cup and let the spray die down a bit. It worked very well for me. I know they say not to pump, but if you have time it helps to pump a bit of the foremilk before the feeding. I was also told to nurse in the side-laying position, or reclined back letting gravity work.

I was wondering, once you notice that things get better do you still continue the block feedings?
mom2emnbec is offline  
#6 of 7 Old 11-29-2008, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
 
mom2emnbec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SC
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didnt know that too much foremilk causes painful gas, the past couple days she has had a lot of issues with gas, maybe I need to pay closer attention to my block feedings, I have been more lax at just feeding on whatever side I happen to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewe+lamb View Post
As already mentioned with my kids I let them take a little milk to start the let down then take them off so that the foremilk would, literally spray out into the cup and then put them back on to take some foremilk and then get to the fatty hindmilk, it worked for us, too much foremilk can cause very painful gas in the intestine - what I also found, especially for my dd when I had LOTS and LOTS of milk that she had to re-learn to nurse at 7 months - just something to be aware of.
mom2emnbec is offline  
#7 of 7 Old 11-29-2008, 07:45 PM
 
momofPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2emnbec View Post
Oh never thought of the side laying thing, maybe that is why she prefers nursing while laying in bed if that is what you mean? I have had issues where the child refuses to NIP and was baffled but then noticed that she is pretty picky at home too and a lot of times if she is at her worst I can always convince her to take a good feeding by feeding her in bed, she is much easier to feed in bed.

I have never stopped the block feedings, I did it with all of them.
Yes, that is what I meant. I know DD's feedings go much better that way. I guess if the block feedings work...why stop!
momofPL is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off