Omg, the pain!! What to do? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 23 Old 01-17-2009, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So the other day I was sick with the flu and totally exhausted. My 9 week old son wakes up almost hourly at night to bf. I was laying on my side feeding him and I must have rolled too far onto my back. I think he must have held on through clenched gums and continued nursing, scraping my poor nipple in and out across his gums.

My nipple is fine but the base of it... Oh the pain!!!! I can't get away from it as it's the part that naturally moves in and out. The skin is broken and so swollen. I've been steeling myself and just bearing it through a 10 min feeding but it's excrutiating. It's not healing, it's getting worse.

What can I do? How long will this take to heal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 01-18-2009, 09:20 AM

ow ow ow! Will your midwife/doc prescribe Jack Newman's all purpose nipple ointment (APNO)? That may help. Also, are you taking anything for the pain/inflammation. Ibuprofin may help for that. If you try to mix up breastfeeding positions during the day (across your lap one time, football hold another) it may help to decrease the pain a little too.

Hang in there! I remember you guys had a rough start - I'm glad to hear that nursing is going well (except for the excruciating nipple pain you have right now )
#3 of 23 Old 01-18-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

I'm using lanolin and I've taken a couple tylenol to help with the pain. Its horrendous. Its indescribable.

I've had to give him two bottles of formula I don't mind if he gets a bit now and then, but full formula feedings gives him cramps and turns my normally happy and content baby into a very uncomfortable and cranky little guy. Plus he loves nursing so he's unhappy he's not.

Plus my breasts are full and sore. My dh keeps telling me maybe its time to stop bfing. His comments make me angry!! He's only 9 weeks old!!

#4 of 23 Old 01-18-2009, 05:08 PM

Try using the Normal Saline Solution that is mentioned on Kellymom.com. Use 1 cup water and add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Soak each nipple in this solution for 2 minutes after feeds. It's is very soothing and will help to heal the area. Also, using your own breastmilk to the tender areas will sooth and heal it as well. Soothies work great too. Go to www.soothies.com for stores near you that might carry it. I hope you're feeling well soon. If you're full, and afraid to put baby to breast quite yet, use a pump (or hand express) on low suction. Give this instead of the formula, or in addition to it. Hugs, Sue
#5 of 23 Old 01-18-2009, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

great, I think we may have a bit of thrush. The inside of his lips, his tongue and inside his cheeks are spattered white, as are my nipples.

More disturbing tho is the pain in my breasts. It lasts for quite sometime after nursing. I get shooting pains and burning. It started last night.

I just bf him on my left side and now he's sleeping. I'm terrified to offer him my right side.

I'll try the saline soak. I refuse to give up on the bfing. We just have to work through this. I just wish it didn't hurt so badly!
#6 of 23 Old 01-18-2009, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Just take them off. I can live without them.

Oh my... this is so painful. My whole chest is on fire, the shooting, stabbing pains are long and intense.

On top of the base of my nipple being swollen and the skin broken my nipples are now cracked and bleeding.

Is breastfeeding supposed to be this hard?

Because he's been getting bottles during my nipple healing time he has lost his latch and just chewed the heck of out my nipples that were already in screaming pain. I didn't realize I was bleeding until I noticed the watery red fluid that was dripping down his chin.

I feel sick with grief. I don't want to end breastfeeding. I thought I could endure through it, but now I don't know.
#7 of 23 Old 01-18-2009, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

If you were giving him bottles of formula and NOT pumping during that time, you may have plugged ducts and/or mastitis. You may need to pump for a while to keep up your milk supply, keep your breasts from becomming overly full, while letting your nipples heal.

Can you get to a lactation consultant? Check out www.kellymom.com - she's got tons of advice about various breastfeeding problems, probably in a lot more detail than I'm able to remember. I know she's got stuff about thrush and mastitis.

Oh, and tell your husband that you're committed to breastfeeding and you need his support. Tell him flat out that it angers you when he suggests weaning. Men are notoriously bad at mind reading.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#8 of 23 Old 01-18-2009, 09:40 PM

Sounds like thrush. Get thee to an LC or a doc!
and www.drjacknewman.com has been a lifesaver (ty smeep!)

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#9 of 23 Old 01-18-2009, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

I was giving him my breast first, for as long as I could endure the pain, then giving him the bottle.

Pumpimg hurts my breasts normally, I'm scared to pump right now.

I'll go to Kellymom again. I spent an hour on JackNewman.

Thank you for your advice. I don't want this to be the end.
#10 of 23 Old 01-18-2009, 10:06 PM

can you call your local LLL leader You can find their # on the La Leche League site

SAHM slinggirl.gif married to my loveblowkiss.gif we have 2 boys superhero.gifJames(5/24/05)  bouncy.gifJustin(4/5/08) and our little princessdust.gifRowan Jane 12/17/10  expecting #4 belly.gifJesse Rhys stork-boy.gif due Sept 4 2013  homeschool.gif

#11 of 23 Old 01-18-2009, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You need to get medication from the dr for both you and your ds for the thrush and possibly antibiotics for the breast infection. By not pumping and emptying the breast after he was done you unfortunatly made things worse

Get to a Dr. Get the medication you need to get better.

I am sorry you are going through this. Dont give up mama bfing is to important to your ds.

SAHM
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lovin'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to
DD 10/00 &

DS 10/04
If your son is intact, keep him safe, visit the Intact Care forum
Circ, a personal choice, Your SONS

11/98
6/99
Thyroid cancer survivor. With 5
& 2 Boxers
wishing for

#12 of 23 Old 01-18-2009, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
sorry for all of your pain. for the thrush while you're waiting on a prescription, you could put plain yogurt on your nipples after feeding. it's soothing too when cold and then just leave it to dry, baby can nurse whatever is left off at next feeding. also, take a lot of probiotics-maybe 10 per day and feed some to baby as well-by putting it on your nipple prior to feeding, baby will get the probiotics in him. it will help immensely with the thrush. i've also heard a vinegar solution for the thrush on nipples-maybe google that or ask llc. good luck! dont give up on nursing, you'll get through it, it's a learning process like anything
#13 of 23 Old 01-19-2009, 12:45 AM

I know it hurts, but you have to empty your breasts.

Get warm compresses on them, massage them. You should be able to get a let-down without touching your nipples (or touching very hard). Massage your areolas, and try to hand express- one hand on the breast sqeezing, other fingers on the areola, gently roll-- here, found it-- http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

the more engorged you get, the worse it will get. I've only had mastisis once and had to have antibiotics. Are you running a fever? If so, head to the ER or urgent care clinic tonight (I only say this bc of the amount of pain you describe) and tell them to prescribe antibiotics.

You will go through a million painful things in your life. This too shall pass and the pain won't last forever.

eta- if you get antibiotics, take high dose probiotic 2 hours before or two hours after taking the antibiotic to keep the antibiotic from killing off the probiotics. You will definately need probiotics bc taking anti will make thrush worse. if you have fever, you have mastisis, which needs to be treated immediately. thrush can be battled later
again. It doesn't have to be the end.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#14 of 23 Old 01-19-2009, 02:29 AM

Have you tried using a nipple shield? It should help with the pain and allow you to nurse on that side.

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

#15 of 23 Old 01-19-2009, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

I nursed my son because he was so miserable. But I made it worse and scared him when I involuntarily screamed. And I got blood all over his clothes.

This is so awful. Now I'm just whining, I can't get to a doc until tomorrow. I hand expressed a few ounces, more than I ever got with a pump, but probably because I'm backed up.

I never imagined this much pain could come from my breasts.

I don't have any nipple shields. Or a breasfeeding aid of any kind. The only pump I have doesn't work. I'm just not prepared for this.
#16 of 23 Old 01-19-2009, 03:38 AM

Hope things improve soon. Ouch!

-Angela
#17 of 23 Old 01-19-2009, 04:16 AM

Lots of water, lots of probiotics, tons of vitamin C & a glass of wine.

s

You're doing a wonderful thing.
#18 of 23 Old 01-19-2009, 08:02 PM

Do you have access to an LC/midwife/doctor? It sounds like you need some prescription help - APNO or thrush treatment (I don't think I'd put gentian violet on a wounded nipple). Can you take ibuprofen? It is often better for pain/inflammation. It can help to take it consistantly too (every so many hours around the clock.)

#19 of 23 Old 01-19-2009, 08:33 PM

You poor thing.

I think priority number 1 is get rid of the thrush. That should help ease your pain considerably.

I echo the PP, you have to empty your breasts. I am so sorry that it hurts, but you do NOT need mastitis on top of it all. Do whatever is less painful--nursing or pumping. Just make sure the equipment gets washed so that you don't transmit thrush again that way.

Also, Tylenol ain't gonna do it. You need some major drugs. I'd call a doc and tearfully request the strongest pain reliever that is safe to use.

Hang in there. Haven't been in your exact position, but have had bleeding nipples. Horrid--makes childbirth seem relaxing. It WILL END though.
#20 of 23 Old 01-20-2009, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your support.

I don't have a pump. I can get about two ounces out of each breast when I hand express. Today I nursed my son to comfort him and try to keep my supply up. I was out of my mind in pain. The shooting and stabbing eases a bit when he's eating but aftewards it's worse than ever.

My son had two black stools today and spit up a significant amount of blood. He and went to a clinic where the doc insisted that the pain in my breasts in just from being full. I told him that's not a full kind of pain, I know the difference, but he was a jerk.

I'm very upset. I hurt badly, my son is needing me and I can't nurse him. The doc told me to put canesten on my nipples to clear up the thrush. He prescribed Nystatin for Lucien. He also ordered blood tests for him and I have to bring in stool samples to be tested.
I sob and clench my jaw to stifle screaming groans, but I bf my son. My dh thinks I'm bringing pain to myself unnecessarily, but I don't know what else to do!
#21 of 23 Old 01-20-2009, 02:49 AM

Are you taking something for the pain? Ibuprofen sometimes can help. If it helps, keep up with the dose all day long.

Try heat or ice before nursing.

Some women are helped by one or the other.

Are you using any nipple cream?

good luck!

-Angela
#22 of 23 Old 01-20-2009, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am sorry your still in pain and your dh isnt supporting you. I think that you need to explain to him that if he cant say things to help you then he needs to just keep his mouth shut.

Defintaly take something for the pain. I know it is horrible but once it is over you will be so glad you made it through to the other side and still have a nursling.

SAHM
lovin'
to
DD 10/00 &

DS 10/04
If your son is intact, keep him safe, visit the Intact Care forum
Circ, a personal choice, Your SONS

11/98
6/99
Thyroid cancer survivor. With 5
& 2 Boxers
wishing for

#23 of 23 Old 01-21-2009, 02:55 AM

exclusively express (by hand to avoid more trauma) on that side. get some soothies or similar. you can cut them smaller too. do not let the wound dry out and scab! that is what causes bleeding. Rub wound with breast milk too. Be careful w/ open wound b/c of mastitis.

there is a nystatin cream for nipples and okay to use w/ bf. I also used a little antibiotic cream ( neosporin) while expressing exclusively while healing up.and called poison control to make sure I wasn't poisoning my baby. They said no prob.

I hope its better soon.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page