Need help/advice/BTDT - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 01-19-2009, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I am new to MDC, but have been here a few times topoke around over the years, but have never had the time to post. I hope all of you wonderful women can shed some light on my issue.
Background: I just gave birth to baby #5, and with all my other kids I had HUGE oversupply issues. Now with this baby, I followed what is considered "normal" for milk coming in- I got engorged for a few days, was full feeling for a week or so, and now at 4.5 weeks old, my breasts feel soft and 'empty' (I know they arent, she swallows and has gained 3 lbs since birth. So the supply is ample, I am just freaking out that its not *my* normal.

So heres the question.... have any of you had this happen? Oversupply with some kids and not with others?????? Please tell me this is normal cause even though I KNOW things are probably ok, I am feeling really insecure about having enough milk for her, like somehow it will 'run out'.

Thank you.
Jennifer
Mom of 5, DS 17.5, DD 15.5, DD 13, DD 6.5 and new DD 4.5 WEEKS
Wife to my high school sweetheart Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-19-2009, 12:56 PM

meh, probably normal. Have you been drinking enough water?
3lbs up from birthweight at 4.5 weeks is AWESOME. Maybe your breasts finally decided they didn't like to be so engorged.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#3 of 3 Old 01-19-2009, 05:11 PM

I was engorged and had oversupply with my first- with my second, I never got engorged, it was just totally different. I assumed it was partially because my second child was much bigger than my first and drank the milk off so fast I never got a chance to "overfill". My second is now 18 months, and happily nursing despite my new pregnancy.

I'd guess your breasts are just used to making milk at this point.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page