It's over - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 01-22-2009, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When is he going to get his tongue tie fixed? Or has it already been done?

Keep posting! It's an emotional rollercoaster, but we are here to support you (whatever choice you make)

The thrush is healing! Worst part over

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#32 of 48 Old 01-22-2009, 07:11 PM

Glad to see a happy update.

I would stop the bottles. They are reinforcing his bad habits.

good luck!

-Angela
#33 of 48 Old 01-22-2009, 08:00 PM

:: for a good latch. : that the next time he nurses will be even better and on and on until you don't even have to think about it any more.

I hope the good nursing session means that the thrush is nearly over.
#34 of 48 Old 01-22-2009, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Well, he had a good feeding, now my nipples are bright red, shiny and in immense pain. My right nipple has cleared up some of the white, but the left still has quite a bit.

This is so frustrating!!! Tomorrow I'm going to rent a pump. I am determined to at least feed him breastmilk if he can't nurse. Hopefully giving my breasts a couple days rest will give the thrush a speedy exit and allow me to feed him comfortably again.
#35 of 48 Old 01-22-2009, 11:45 PM

Make sure you wash your pump parts in HOT soapy water after each pumping, and BOIL them once a day to help kick the thrush... I hope you can get this worked out. EPing is not the end of the world, but I do not recommend it if possible. It is a hard, long, and emotionally painful road to travel... PM me if you want to talk about it. I give you a lot of credit for trying so hard to make this work for you guys. Many people give up after the first day of pain.
#36 of 48 Old 01-22-2009, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You can do this!

Did you talk to the LC about alternatives to bottles when you're not able to breastfeed him? It really will be a LOT easier for him to nurse properly if he's not sucking on artificial nipples before he gets this figured out.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#37 of 48 Old 01-23-2009, 12:42 AM

Keep working at it it is the best thing for both of you.. It sounds like you both have had a rough time and have been though alot, don't give up now!!

I'll be your cheerleader!

:PUMP! PUMP! NURSE! NURSE! :
#38 of 48 Old 01-23-2009, 07:44 PM

Sage I had no idea this was going on, I'm sorry you are having trouble! I'm having a lot of issues with oversupply and overactive letdown but nothing like this. Little lovely Lucien is not easy on his mommy! I think others have given you better advice than I could I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you.
#39 of 48 Old 01-23-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage_SS View Post
It is so hard to cry and eat cereal at the same time.

Its over. I cant do this anymore. His latch and suck are awful, I don't know if he can fix it while continuing to get bottles. Its a vicious cycle - I rest my nipples, expose them to air and they start to feel better so I feed him. Within mins I'm bleeding again and in worse shape than before offering him my breast. Then he gets the bottle again so he doesn't starve, which just enforces his bad latch and suck. He's a master at drinking bottles now.

Last night he spit up more blood. Just blood, no milk mixed in.

He's stressed out. I'm a wreck. He's my last babe, and the thing that keeps us so close is over. The other day he smiled at me around my breast while eating. He just started it and I'll never see it again.

I'm so sad, crying so hard I can't breathe.
Just wow. If anyone had time to go back and look, this was me a year ago.

My six week old dd started having black meconium type bms again, and no one could figure out why (initially); we quickly found out it was because my milk was drying up, and she was literally getting only blood from me.

Basically (I can recognize it now) I was reluctant to feed her as much as I needed to, so I stretched out each feeding as long as I could. She wasn't getting enough, and my supply started to tank.

It was awful. I remember going to the IBCLC's and realizing she had lost over a pound. We tried everything, Dom, super pumping (I had the Symphony), herbs, the LC was over every.day to help me.

Eventually, I had to concede defeat. Even with the SNS, she just wasn't getting enough. We started supplementing, but she had to be admitted for IV fluids. The IBCLC and my midwife were both heartbroken for me, because I had literally done.everything.

We even saw Jack Newman in Toronto. He was horrified by the condition of my nipples. Dd's latch was great, but she had a high bubble palate, and a relentless suck.

I'm just feeling a huge amount of hurt and empathy for you mama. I'm still in therapy (some of my friends/family IRL think I'm being ridiculous) because there are days I'm completely overcome by the fact that I failed at one of the single greatest tasks of motherhood (IME).

So, I'm going to hug my LO extra tight tonight and send you some love and healing vibes. I sincerely hope your story takes a better turn than mine, and you go on to have a long and loving breastfeeding relationship!

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#40 of 48 Old 01-23-2009, 10:25 PM

I haven't read a single reply... so someone may have already thrown this out there... but I bet not because it's not a popular solution... but get yourself a nipple shield.

Before anyone boos and hisses at me... I've been in the O.P.'s position. Sooooo painful, bleeding... part of my nipple falling off. I am not exaggerating. Being soooo stressed and in tears I even called my dad (ha! like he even knew what to do with me). Baby spitting up blood... all of it.
Some old style lactation consultant gave me a nipple shield (*temporarily*) and I could nurse immediately without unbearable discomfort. The baby was happy and I was soooo relieved. It gave my nipple time to heal.

Now here's where the *problem* is. We never were able to wean away from it. She was my first baby and I was too afraid and so we just kept using the shield. By some miracle I nursed that baby for 16 months before I weaned her in order to conceive her brother. But those were 16 months of nursing that we wouldn't have been able to have any other way. It was soooooooooo worth it.

I'd rather have a mom able to nurse with a shield than not at all anyday.

Just food for thought. PM me if you want to know more. (like I ended up buying 5 shields so I'd always have a clean one handy... etc.)
#41 of 48 Old 01-23-2009, 10:35 PM

okay, now I read the posts. I see you already have a nipple shield. Use it when you have to, and yes, for the full feeding if you have to... or if you're okay after the let-down, take it off.

Sounds to me like you're engorged. Have you tried pumping some milk off before he nurses? And then once he's done I'd empty your breast with the pump.

Also, this is not super helpful except to give you some hope. My second babe... we had some trouble in the beginning but eventually I think his mouth just grew. To look at him, you'd think his latch was fine but it was killing me. My nipple would look like a new tube of lipstick when he popped off. After about 6 weeks it began to be better. Sometimes I think their mouths are just too small to do any better. I had a bunch of lactation consultants come and look but the only thing that helped was time.

The bloody nipple thing with my dd though was horrible. I feel your pain and your stress. Do what you can tolerate. Pump some, use the shield, nurse and then pump the rest and give it to him in a bottle if you have to. Until your nipples are better (and there will be lots of steps forward and then backward before they heal). Get some "soothies". They are great for keeping your nipples safe and healing while inside your bra.

Good luck. Such a hard spot to be in!!!
#42 of 48 Old 01-24-2009, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

another LC came over today. she says he does not have a tongue tie, his problem us that he curls his tongue up and in instead of out and down.

A new tube of lipstick!!! That's EXACTLY what he does to my breasts. I've never been able to describe it so perfectly.
She showed me how to retrain him to stick his tongue out but he screamed when she did it and the rest if the technique is him copying us, which he doesn't yet do. She said since he's had 10 weeks of this it could take awhile to break his "bad habits". Do you think his latch will improve with age? That would be encouraging!

Erica, I also have over supply and overactive letdown. Big boobs turn into milk jugs I guess. If I lay down to feed him the letdown isn't as fast, gravity works.

It's gotten a bit better. Now I can bf every 3rd feeding or so. I'm hoping it will get better and better. I don't know if I can maintain a milk supply on three feedings a day. The only place that rents out pumps won't have one available until Monday.

I'm battling despair and starting to feel so discouraged.
#43 of 48 Old 01-24-2009, 05:01 AM

Oh mama I have no advice but I am here rooting for you...you're doing your best.

I had a miserable time nursing dd1, I can relate. The pain can be so unbearable and utterly disheartening.

Good luck!
#44 of 48 Old 01-24-2009, 06:46 AM

I have to echo the other mamas here and say you CAN do this!!! We had a horrible time for the first 6 weeks (I described it as nursing a mouth full of broken glass) and here we are, at 2 years, still going strong!

Just wanted to provide some links for some of the issues you mention:

Thrush (this was a great one for me)

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

Do vinegar rinses for the bubbies between feedings, air out the girls, avoid sugar, dairy and bread. I used acidophilus, took it three times per day and opened a capsule and rubbed it on inside of DD's mouth, I also used Gentian violet and have the purple face pics to prove it. It also helped to wash anything that touched my breasts or baby with hot water and vinegar.

Latching Issues (This diagram was such a help to me)

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html

Also, Dr Jack Newman has a great site with videos and handouts:

http://drjacknewman.com/

Also a list of concerns/solutions for mama (including engorgement):

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/index.html

It really sounds like you're making progress. You can do it! Hugs!
#45 of 48 Old 01-24-2009, 11:06 AM

What he is doing with his tongue sounds awful... No wonder you are having so much pain. If you cant get a pump, you can try to hand express. There is info on kellymom.com on how to do it.
#46 of 48 Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 AM

Just stopping by to send you s and encouragement. I hope you guys get the help you need to work through this!
#47 of 48 Old 01-24-2009, 01:28 PM

you need a pump.
I'm afraid you won't be able to maintain a supply on only 3 feedings a day either. Plus it will help with the over-supply. Pump it out and store it up for the in-between times when you are in too much pain to nurse.
And it will help with a too strong let-down. Pump until let down... once the flow has eased up a little have your baby latch.
Its those first few sucks that are so intense (to get the milk to let down) that are sooo painful. Maybe if the milk was already right there... but not POURING out... it would be better.

I'm amazed at your persistence. It really can be soooo hard. And you feel totally responsible and alone.
#48 of 48 Old 01-24-2009, 02:35 PM

I used to cry when I heard my ds cry, because I knew the toe-curling pain of nursing was about to start again. It's hard to believe (I certainly didn't believe it at the time) that it will get better, one way or another.
big hugs!

Mama to my 2 boys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page