Why do my boobs hurt so bad? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-21-2009, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My boobs are hurting so bad - sometimes aching, sometimes specific sharper pains...last week I had HORRIBLE sharp burning nipple pain with this boob pain and went to my ND who prescribed the all purpose nipple ointment and probiotics to treat me for thrush (no noticeable symptoms of thrush though)...so the nipple pain subsided and I thought I was in the clear...now today (6 days after initial diagnosis) my nipples are feeling a bit tender again and my boobs are so sore again...and kind of itchy...not my nipples, but my actual breasts are weird and achey and tingly and itchy...

Is this thrush? Is it something else? I should also add that I have cut out all sugar, fruit and processed foods. Why aren't I getting better?
#2 of 5 Old 01-22-2009, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've never had thrush, but have known women who've had it. They all said it took a LONG time to get rid of. Do you wash your clothes every time they're warn? I know I've heard of using an apple-cider vinegar rinse (diluted with water.) Maybe start a new thread with the word thrush in it and more people will respond. Or do a search on thrush.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 5 Old 01-23-2009, 09:58 AM

Sharp burning pain IS a thrush symptom. You might need something more than just probiotics, like Nystatin or Gentian Violet .

Also, you might need to treat your babe too.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...tml#treatments

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#4 of 5 Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 PM

ugh... i nursed through about a month of thrush-- no fun try Gentian Violet! you paint it on your nips, and in your DC's mouth... i think it was 1 or 2xday for three days (please don't take my word on this though!) and the symptoms were gone within a week.

nystatin is something like 3x/day for 2 weeks
#5 of 5 Old 01-26-2009, 10:33 AM

With my 2nd baby we battled thrush for the first 10 months. It's insidious and it does sound like your symptoms are consistent with it. When it occurred I would alternate between gentian violet and nystatin. The gentian violet can irritate the babies mucus membranes if used all the time.

I believe it's Jack Newman who also suggests a two week course of taking Diflucan 1x day. In the end that's what I had to do to get rid of it.

Here are the other things I did:
washed all my nursing bras in hot water and 1 cup of white vinegar. For bras with a wire I ironed the cup of the bra. The heat kills the yeast.
after each feeding I used syringe to pour a mixture of vinegar and water over the breast.
Acidophilus 3x day
Limit sugar or eliminate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page