How long to wait for dairy to get out of system? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-30-2009, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, ladies!

I've got a seven-week-old who just this week started to show signs of dairy intolerance: projectile vomiting, reflux, mucusy poop, and otherwise unexplained crankiness. I put two and two together on Wednesday morning -- it's now Friday afternoon -- and immediately stopped eating all dairy products, including things with even trace dairy. (I've had a dairy-intolerant baby before, and knew what to look for on the label, fortunately.) The reflux has already backed off noticeably, but he's still pretty cranky. He cries most of the time now when I'm not nursing him, and sometimes he pops off the boob and cries too. He's a pretty calm baby, so I think there's still something bothering him.

How long should it take for me to see a big difference in his behavior? I wonder if I should do an elimination diet to see if there's anything else bugging him besides the dairy. Are there any drawbacks to doing an elimination diet? And how, specifically, do I do that? I don't actually know how.

Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 01-31-2009, 12:14 AM

About 50% of babies w/ milk issues, have soy issues as well. I generally tell moms to eliminate both at the same time and if things are better in a few wks, try soy to see what happens. All of mine have been milk, soy, and egg, the last 2 had wheat issues as well and I did have to do the total elimination diet w/ #2. Good luck.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#3 of 7 Old 01-31-2009, 01:33 AM

2-3 weeks
#4 of 7 Old 01-31-2009, 03:05 PM

You can get more ideas on how/whether to do a more extensive ED over in the Allergies subforum. They have tons of experience. That said--I'd look for noticeable improvement within a week, if not I'd take out gluten in addition to dairy (if you've got another major food allergen, you may see no improvement with just taking out one, you'd need them all out before kiddo seems better--everyone's different on this, but this seems common enough to mention).

Hope your LO feels better soon!
#5 of 7 Old 02-03-2009, 01:12 PM

For us, it took 6 weeks. But... that's also the longest I've ever heard.
#6 of 7 Old 02-03-2009, 02:39 PM

Most people will see a difference right away. Depending on the amount of damage that is already done though, it may take longer to fully heal. I've seen differences immediately in my kids.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#7 of 7 Old 02-04-2009, 02:24 AM

I would cut out soy and then eggs if you don't see more of an improvement after a week or so. DD got worse then better - but we still had to cut out dairy/soy/eggs before her poos got normal and not mucousy bloody.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page