Pre-existing BAD Raynaud's--acting up with BF - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 02-03-2009, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone else out there has had this problem or knows of anyone who did.

I have severe Raynaud's phenomenon for which I have to take daily meds (30 mg Nifedipine XL). Severe as in without meds I have to brush my teeth and rinse vegetables with warm water because otherwise my hands will turn blue, wear two pairs of socks, etc.

The first couple weeks of BF were okay, but the past two weeks have been increasingly painful and my nipples are blanching white. I tried adding the B6 but it hasn't helped. In general in the past two weeks my Raynaud's is acting up, and even with the medicine I'm now back to brushing my teeth with warm water.

I went back to work yesterday, and pumped in a very warm room, and noticed it was less painful. I'll be there again tomorrow, and it will be interesting to see if I have the same experience.

Should I try upping my dosage of the nifedipine? Or might this be a temporary adjustment and I should just wait it out? (My Raynaud's did act up at the very beginning of pregnancy, but then went back to my "normal".)

Thanks,
Anna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-03-2009, 10:15 PM

How long have you been taking your medication? I was told that it may take a week for nifedipene to work for vasospasms of the nipples. Also, thrush and trauma can provoke the vasospasms, so treating those quickly (of they are there) is really important.

I think www.drjacknewman.com has some good info on Raynauld's. it is so painful - I'm sorry you have to deal with it. Sometimes moms find it helps to use warmpacks on their nipples after a feed to stop the spasms.
#3 of 9 Old 02-03-2009, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have no good news for you- I'm six months into exclusively pumping for my daughter, and I *still* get horrible pain, blanching, and vasospasms after every time that I pump. I tried the B6 with no luck. My doc wouldn't prescribe anything. So, I'm just soldering through, trying to do heat packs when possible afterwards. But realistically, I often can't. Just finding time to pump is hard enough. I've often thought that someone should invent portable nipple warmers.

Anyway, if anyone has other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#4 of 9 Old 02-03-2009, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
How long have you been taking your medication?
It's been a number of years--the Raynaud's existed well before being pregnant and BF.
#5 of 9 Old 02-03-2009, 10:59 PM

I had bad vasospasms at first...still get them occasionally, though my baby's now 2 months old. My LC recommended hot packs...it helped immensely. I took childrens' socks, filled them with rice, tied shut with rubber bands, and nuked for 30 secs-1 minute before each feeding. It's not too convenient but if you're in pain, it's worth it.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#6 of 9 Old 02-04-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulutattoo View Post
It's been a number of years--the Raynaud's existed well before being pregnant and BF.
Oh, I thought from your 1st post that you may have just started to take it again a few days ago - if that were the case things may get better once you've been on nifedipene for a week.

All I can offer is to be really really careful to treat thrush/nipple trauma/latch issues immediately so they don't add to the situation.
#7 of 9 Old 02-04-2009, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
As for raynauds and nipples, I found it helpful to take a hair dryer to my nipples before nursing. In my brief recent googling of Raynauds, I read that it may be related to hypothyroidism...have you tried anything to treat the root of Raynauds, if you have any idea what that might be?

Laurie, wife to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DH (Aug/04), mom to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DS1 (Nov/05),
DS2 (June/12),
DD (May/15). 
#8 of 9 Old 02-04-2009, 08:53 PM

Ouch! I had vasospasms as a result of an infection (mimicked thrush) and it hurts! I'm so sorry.

I wore WARM sweaters all the time, even nursing, and immediately covered my nipples with something warm right after nursing, like a warmed rice pack.

I would probably see an LC to check the latch, too. A bad latch or the beginning of thrush can really exasserbate them.

Hugs - I so hope it gets better for you!
#9 of 9 Old 02-05-2009, 11:50 AM

I have Raynaud's, too. Not quite as bad, but bad enough! And my nipples were affected early on. I tried taking a cal/mag supplement, and that seems to have done the trick. I still get some blanching, but no pain, at least.

Hope things improve! I know how painful it is!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page