#1 of 2 Old 02-12-2009, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The long and short of it:

DD is 16 months old
I am 20 weeks pregnant
Milk is GONE
I have white crusties on my nipples (definitely not dried milk, not milk blisters, not dry skin) ~ I noticed this yesterday in the shower and thought, "surely I don't have thrush???".
Last night DD's bum was yeast-rashy

So, I'm pretty sure we have thrush...but it's not painful! My nips were already pretty sore, so there is a chance that I just wouldn't have noticed that they were *more* sore, or differently sore. I don't think I'd feel it in my milk ducts or during let-down because there's no milk, and no let-down :P DD does still nurse lots and lots, even with no milk, so if it's on my nips I would understand why she would have it.

My question is ~ since it's not painful to me, do I need to treat it (I'm not super excited about using Gentian Violet, because we have an LLL meeting tomorrow and I'm a leader...don't want to scare away the new moms with a purple-mouthed babe! Also, we're going out of town this weekend and I don't want the weird stares...). I do have some Nystatin cream that I can use for DD's bum from a previous yeast rash. But, if it's not going to go away, I *should* treat it, even though it's not painful, right? My first course of action would likely be APNO if I can get in to see my MW today...

FWIW, I realize that, being an LLL leader, I should probably know the answer here...but I've never dealt with a non-painful thrush case!

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 02-12-2009, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, you don't have to treat thrush if it's not bothering you but chances are it will start bothering you soon enough. I'd nip it in the bud with GV, personally, but that's your call. I'd definitely recommend treating her bum with GV. However, it will probably pop back up if you have it orally/breastally (lol!).

FWIW, I would think it awesome to have a LLL leader with purple nipples. Haha. Seriously, it'd be a great chance to educate on thrush and the effectiveness of GV.

- E . Single mom to DS  E (15.12.05),  T (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD   A (11.02.11) and  Hoppy      

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page