Nursing after a posterior tongue-tie release.. stories? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-22-2009, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read the entire tongue-tie sticky thread, and I've PMed a few girls on the board. I'm desperate to hear stories about how your LO learned to successfully nurse AFTER a posterior tongue-tie release.

My DS was clipped 12 days ago, and although his nursing has improved a lot, it still hurts. I still have compression stripes on both nipples after he's done nursing. The good news is that they're just stripes, not actually changing the shape of my nipple. Dr. Coryllos said I would notice a difference in 1 week (I did), and then it could take 1-2 months to really set in. I'm so so so so nervous that it's not going to happen. Nursing is just so painful, and I don't know how long I can deal with this. This is NOT the nursing relationship I was dreaming about, and I certainly can't keep this up for years and years.

Any stories? Ideas? Tips? Encouragement?
#2 of 11 Old 02-22-2009, 10:33 PM

I just wanted to offer hugs... We see Dr. Coryllos on Wednesday... I'm nervous...

I hope things get better for you! I know my one friend has BF'd through a posterior tongue tie and he's still nursing at almost 2. It WILL get better... It might take a while but it will get better as he learns how to use his tongue properly!

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#3 of 11 Old 02-22-2009, 11:50 PM

Have you tried CST to help baby to adjust?
#4 of 11 Old 02-22-2009, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

We haven't tried CST after his tongue-tie release, but we did have EIGHT CST sessions prior to his frenotomy. I can't imagine he needs more adjustment already! I'll ask the CST LC this week.
#5 of 11 Old 02-23-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippychickaquarius View Post
We haven't tried CST after his tongue-tie release, but we did have EIGHT CST sessions prior to his frenotomy. I can't imagine he needs more adjustment already! I'll ask the CST LC this week.
I've read and heard that the CST after the clipping is more important than before and that it's best done ASAP. That said, we did CST with dd2 (who we opted not to clip since she had TT but was nursing pretty well anyway although dd1 had been clipped) and it did nothing for us. Supposedly the practitioner matters a lot. Ours was well recommended and very nice but IMO not worth the stress of the car trips there.

As to your original question it's hard to answer...nursing was never super-easy but the clip made it better immediately, then worse and then about a week later better again. Sorry about what you're going through. Hang in there and hopefully it will get better and more comfortable soon!
#6 of 11 Old 02-25-2009, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
my daughter was 3 weeks old when she had her frenetomy (yay Dr. Koryllos!) but she was unable to breast feed until she was 10 weeks old. Now she is 6 months old and a nursing champ! After the frenetomy it turned out that she had a weak suck and then nipple confusion. We did exercises with her that our LC recommended and Cranio-Sacral Therapy...the therapy seemed to REALLY help. Then, because of nipple confusion, I used a supplemental nursing system. It was all hard work and a long journey, but completely worth it.

Aimee, mom to Mirah b. 08/09/08
and my angel, Nico, , lost to us at 19 weeks gestation, 12/27/12
Longing for our rainbow
#7 of 11 Old 02-25-2009, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

We had our first post-frenotomy CST session today. I hate to get too excited, but DS's nursing felt a little bit better afterwards. Any little bit helps. Unfortunately my LC confirmed my fears of thrush.. yuck! : Our next CST session is scheduled for one week from today. Please please please let us be on the right path!:
#8 of 11 Old 03-01-2009, 03:05 PM

My 5-wo had a very very significant tongue-tie (frenulum was attached to the very tip of her tongue...my nipples were destroyed), and was clipped at 5 days. Because of how much skin was cut, she was in a lot of pain after, and it took some doing to get her latched...we went through 24 hours of hell, and worked with a great lactation consultant who helped us not give up. I had to use a nipple shield for about 2 weeks...she just was too weak to get on the bare nipple, but then she strengthened up...I just kept offering bare nip, gave her the shield when she got frustrated, and eventually she didn't need it any more. It may be that the shield also protected me from the pain you're experiencing. I'm nursing now without pain or compression. I know lactation consultants recommend against extended use of shields for milk supply reasons, but it worked for us.

We're having some unrelated challenges now (I think hyper-lactation?), but I'd definitely call our story a post-clip success. It was very, very hard, and we definitely needed the professional support we got. Have you seen a consultant?
#9 of 11 Old 03-04-2009, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

It's been 3 weeks today, and things are continuing to improve. I keep working with my LC, and DS had another CST session today. I can't believe how far his tongue extended when he latched on tonight!!! That's a very sign. I just can't wait until I don't have to worry about all this anymore.
#10 of 11 Old 03-05-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
It's been 3 weeks today, and things are continuing to improve. I keep working with my LC, and DS had another CST session today. I can't believe how far his tongue extended when he latched on tonight!!! That's a very sign. I just can't wait until I don't have to worry about all this anymore.
YAY!!!!!!!! :

What great news! You guys are working so hard, I'm so happy to hear that things are still improving
#11 of 11 Old 03-07-2009, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
:::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page