Is "toddler" breastmilk ok for a newborn baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had a dear friend die and leave behind a newborn baby. She was adament about BFing. I'd love to donate my milk to her baby but my son is 18 mo. I know the nutritional makeup of milk changes as baby grows but it seems to me it would be way better than formula. Would it be ok as baby's primary food, or just a suppliment? I wanted to check before I talk to her DH. He might be too weirded out to go for it anyway. She would have been ok with it (we had a joking conversation about it months ago) but you know DHs

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
#2 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 01:46 PM

I think it would be fine.
#3 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 01:51 PM

It's probably not as perfect of a match as a mom with another newborn's milk might be, but it certainly would be better than formula! I would offer if I were you (it's a very sweet and generous thing to do).

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#4 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 02:01 PM

oh how sad. i am so sorry.

my 3 yo and 4 month old get the same milk..not sure how my body tells the difference. i would definitely think its better than formula.
#5 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 02:05 PM

arelyn, How awful to lose your friend and for a new baby to be left behind.

Friend has a virus that can be passed through breast milk, and cannot breastfeed. My DC is 21 months, but I would like to pump milk for her baby due this summer.

It's nice to hear that people think it would be ok, but are there any midwives out there with experience with this? Or women who have gone through it themselves? Did the newborns in those cases thrive?

Thx!
#6 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 02:14 PM

I've been offered 'mature' milk (donation) for my 5 week old. While the make up is different, it's better than formula IMO. I have no problem giving my DD mature milk.

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#7 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
It's probably not as perfect of a match as a mom with another newborn's milk might be, but it certainly would be better than formula! I would offer if I were you (it's a very sweet and generous thing to do).
:

Much better than formula. what a horrible situation - but what a kind and generous response for you to offer your milk.
#8 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 04:15 PM

you could check out milk share as well to see if there is anyone local to you with milk closer in age....

Sorry about your loss

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

#9 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

We actually talked about it a few months before she died. She was ok with having a close friend nurse her baby/provide pumped milk but not a stranger. Her DH just left a message on our cell that he'd really appreciate my providing milk for J. Part of me is really happy though most of me is so heartbroken.

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
#10 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arelyn View Post
We actually talked about it a few months before she died. She was ok with having a close friend nurse her baby/provide pumped milk but not a stranger. Her DH just left a message on our cell that he'd really appreciate my providing milk for J. Part of me is really happy though most of me is so heartbroken.
Oh sweetie, I'm so sad about this situation - how hard on you all. Providing the milk must be bittersweet. I'm glad you and your friend spoke about it though. I know I would be reassured to hear that my dear friend would nurse my baby and provide milk if I wasn't able to for whatever reason.
#11 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 09:02 PM

If you nursed her instead of pumping, or nursed her for a few days and then pumped, would your milk "switch" to more of a newborn makeup?
#12 of 24 Old 02-25-2009, 12:49 PM

It is awesome that you're willing to do this! You rock

The only problem I can see is that you'll need to be more cautious about what you eat, again, so that baby doesn't become gassy.
#13 of 24 Old 02-26-2009, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Of COURSE it's better than formula! It's human milk, after all. Formula is supposed to be a last resort if no human milk (regardless of age of nursling) is available.

And healing vibes for you and her family. I'm so sorry.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#14 of 24 Old 02-26-2009, 05:33 PM

I would think if you nursed the baby, your body might change it to newborn milk for at least that nursing session, and then you could provide pumped "mature" milk for night time - so sorry to hear about your friend - that is a hard situation *hugs* I'm really sorry.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#15 of 24 Old 02-27-2009, 01:53 AM

Really sorry about your friend.

Yes the protein to fat ratio is different in a toddler than in a newborn, but as the others said it is better than formula.

However nursing the baby wouldn't make your milk switch to newborn mode. The complex postpartum hormones cause that.

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)
#16 of 24 Old 02-27-2009, 01:58 AM

I was going to donate breastmilk to the NICU and my son was 5 months old. They never mentioned any issue at all. I would say its WAAAAY better than formula. What a wonderful woman you are!!

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#17 of 24 Old 02-27-2009, 03:33 AM

If I were closer I'd happily donate my milk! I have more than 1000 ounces in the freezer that I pumped while our preemie was in the NICU.

Any breastmilk is better than none!

We gave our toddler some of my preemie mom milk in his sippy cup. The only problem with that is that the first few weeks of breastmilk have a very laxative effect...made for some yucky toddler diapers.
#18 of 24 Old 03-03-2009, 06:31 PM

What a beautiful gift you are providing! I am so sorry for your loss.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#19 of 24 Old 03-03-2009, 06:35 PM

I would think it would be an even added bonus. The baby would also be able to get some of your antibodies and natural immunities...I would think he would be doubly protected. Very sorry to hear about your friend I'm sure she is so thankful for what you are doing right now.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#20 of 24 Old 03-03-2009, 07:17 PM

What a sad situation, but what a WONDERFUL thing you are doing for your friends baby!!!!

Mom to, Cassi,, 25 yo daughter, 4 yo twins, Carson & Camryn 3 yo Caitlyn and my wonderful 14 yo neice, Carlie
#21 of 24 Old 03-04-2009, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Of course its fine. I doubt they care what age the baby is when mothers donate to milk banks. Its much better than formula.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#22 of 24 Old 03-04-2009, 04:53 PM

Think of it this way. How old do you think the calves are, whose mothers provide milk for infant formula?

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#23 of 24 Old 03-04-2009, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arelyn View Post
I just had a dear friend die and leave behind a newborn baby. She was adament about BFing. I'd love to donate my milk to her baby but my son is 18 mo. I know the nutritional makeup of milk changes as baby grows but it seems to me it would be way better than formula. Would it be ok as baby's primary food, or just a suppliment? I wanted to check before I talk to her DH. He might be too weirded out to go for it anyway. She would have been ok with it (we had a joking conversation about it months ago) but you know DHs
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Definitely, "toddler" milk is a heck of a lot better for a newborn than processed infant formula! Yes, milk from a mom with a baby the same age would be a closer match, but the differences are much more subtle than the differences between breastmilk and formula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
my 3 yo and 4 month old get the same milk..not sure how my body tells the difference. i would definitely think its better than formula.
In that situation, your body makes milk for the younger baby. Giving birth "resets" the milk-making clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiah
Of course its fine. I doubt they care what age the baby is when mothers donate to milk banks.
Actually, many milk banks will only accept milk from women with babies under a year old. I've heard of moms nursing toddlers wanting to donate and being turned away, and of other moms having to stop donating at their babies' first birthdays due to milk bank policy.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#24 of 24 Old 03-05-2009, 01:37 PM

I have nursed children of different ages at the same time for about six years now without any serious problem. I think the best bet in your case would be to personally nurse the infant as much as possible which would soon turn your milk quality to his needs.
You are a great friend. I am sure you will succeed in this great deed.
Uzra

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page