Very low supply after return to work... been there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2009, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Copied and pasted from my Yahoo question post)

My baby is two weeks old today. I had six weeks maternity leave. Returned to work about two weeks ago. Mostly BFed until my return with some supplementing (mostly at night to let my body adjust before coming back to work). Since working my supply has diminished a great deal... and I mean it REALLY has taken a hit. I am not able to pump a whole lot ( I'm a high school teacher). So... I would like to know how you guys boosted and maintained your supply.

This is what I have been doing since I returned plus other factors:
If baby is awake before I shower (5:30am), I BF him. Planning period @ 9:30am I pump. Then I have not been able to pump or BF until after school (2:30pm or even later... usually about 3:30-4). Started taking fenugreek capsules last week. Not seeing great results yet. BUT... (here is my big factor that I am curious to know what your experiences are) I also starting taking birth control a few days after I came back. Wondering if that could be it?

And this is the new pumping schedule I am trying today:
Pumped on the way to work (I have a 45-50 minute commute and it is still dark out at the time I leave-- I bought the vehicle adapter for the pump and wore an outfit that would allow me to do it discreetly anyway). 9:30am -- pump (planning period). Lunch I will pump (12:15-12:30ish). And then I will either pump on the way home or before I leave the school so that it will not be SO long between pumping. (I am still taking fenugreek)

Do you think this will help to boost my supply enough without going off of the birth control pill? What are your experiences with this kind of issue?
33 minutes ago - 4 days left to answer.
Additional Details
I fear I am causing some concern in some of you other mothers: I am pumping with the hands-free bra, please don't worry! Definitely would NOT be pumping in the car otherwise, I am super-crazy paranoid about car-wrecks.
1 second ago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 03:34 PM

What birth control are you taking? If it is the regular pills (2 types of hormones in them like Alesse or Ortho) then they are pretty much guaranteed to ruin supply. I'd stop taking them immediately. If it is the mini pill (progesterone only) then it is usually better for most women with supply, but there are case where Mama's supply tanked when she started them. (I'd stop taking them immediately too.)
Old 03-11-2009, 04:43 PM

I don't know about the bc, but pump as much as you can, do the fenugreek, start eating lots of oatmeal and let your baby nurse as much as he wants when you're home. I did end up having to supplement because I just couldn't pump, but my baby reverse cycled for a several months and that decreased the amount I had to supplement.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:10 PM

any supplementing will have an effect on your supply.
If you can nurse exclusively when you are home, that means nights too, that is the best thing to help build supply.
Co-sleeping can help you get more sleep while still nursing at night.
also, if you can wear your baby while your home, evenings and weekends that closeness can do wonders to keep things going.
good luck mama! pumping is a tough gig, but your doing a great thing for baby!

User Tag List