Pain but no lump...is it mastitis??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-23-2009, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi...my baby is 1 week and 4 days old. My milk came in on Day Two, and she has been nursing like a champ. However, today I started to notice some pain on the left side....and throughout the day it has become really, really painful. It is one particular area of the breast that hurts, and it is really painful when the baby nurses on that side.

There is no lump, no redness, and the area is not hot. Could it still be a plugged duct or mastitis? Everything I read suggests that there will be a lump or white spot or something visible. Is this always the case? Also, does anyone have any natural remedies I can try to help the pain? This is really yucky and I want it to stop, but I'm not down with antibiotics and such.

Thanks so much for any advice!
#2 of 4 Old 03-24-2009, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, I'm not a LC, but I am a veteran of many bouts of mastitis. That doesn't sound like how I experienced mastitis. My breast always was hard, hot, and red, and I had a fever and flu-like symptoms. It happened within the space of an afternoon, too. I always had to resort to abx to cure a case.

Is it possible that it's thrush? I've heard that's horribly painful.

Sorry you're going through this!

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#3 of 4 Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 AM

it sounds like it could be the begining of mastitis to me. I would treat it that way just in case, at least. Go to bed wtih baby and nurse on that side as much as possible.
#4 of 4 Old 03-24-2009, 07:26 PM

Does that painful left side feel "full" like that part won't empty?

If so, it sounds like a plugged duct, not necessarily mastitis yet if there's no heat, redness, chills, aching.

Try nursing on your hands and knees with baby under you, and bottom lip right on the part that hurts.

Try deep massage in a hot shower and then nursing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page