Vital I stop nursing: Pregnant with Cancer, facing radiation after I give birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-28-2009, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! Yeah, I know it sucks..oh well. I have thyroid cancer and it is at least a good one. I have pretty much weaned my 20 month old, really for sleep and it worked!! I was getting woken up ever 30min-2 hrs, for the past ?? 15 months! Anyway. I have been envisioning lots of healthy vibes for myself and getting through this, even a miracle!! I still would like to know how I am going to get all the milk out of my system before radiation after the baby is born. I need to get ALL of it out and out for about a solid month or else I face breast cancer due to the milk ducts being full of the radioactive iodine. My surgery happens (or might happen, hope not, praying for a miracle) when my baby uses it's own thyroid at 20 weeks, and then the pathology report can let me know if I can do this -after birth we are going to monitor it to see if anything is growing and if not...I may be able to nurse for 4 month, and then maybe 2 months of not nursing at all.

Cabbage leaves?

A relocation (miracle) is not going to be happening, because sometimes radiation isn't a one time deal.

Leslie, organic semi-unschooling mama teaching my children 5 and 2.75, that love & happiness is most important. Letting their light shine, finding out they are teaching me. Love being in the moment & nature.

#2 of 20 Old 03-28-2009, 10:06 AM

Oh mama....I don't even know what to say.

Jill,
: Wife to Steven, step-mom to Peter, mom to Noah, Oliver, Linus, and 2 in heaven.
#3 of 20 Old 03-28-2009, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
oh wow, that's awful. I'm so sorry mama. I don't know anything about any of that but I am keeping you in my thoughts for healing and strength.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#4 of 20 Old 03-28-2009, 01:25 PM

I'm sorry, that does suck. I really commend your positive outlook.

I've read to use sports bras, cold cabbage leaves, sage tea, ice packs, ibuprofen or tylenol for pain. I know that md's used to prescribe meds to help dry up milk but usually do not do so any longer, perhaps in your case this would be a good idea? Can't hurt to ask...

Good luck to you and your family.
#5 of 20 Old 03-28-2009, 07:01 PM

Healing vibes to you.

A short course of estrogen, even the amounts in birth control pills, can help to dry up milk production too.

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#6 of 20 Old 03-28-2009, 10:06 PM

No advice just

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#7 of 20 Old 03-28-2009, 11:23 PM

I would second the birth control pills. I've also heard psyeudoephedrine (sudafed) decreases supply. And sage, peppermint, sorrel and others - see: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Breastfee...y-milk-OWW.htm.

That really sucks. I'm sorry.
#8 of 20 Old 03-28-2009, 11:27 PM

Parsley helps dry up milk.:

aka: wannabeamamamia
SLC vegan mom to 2 boys- &
#9 of 20 Old 03-29-2009, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the healing vibes! Last night I saw a really cool movie, "The beautiful truth" on Netflix/instant. I highly recommend it to everyone(!!!!!) because it has so much information about avoiding cancer! Being 28, it is kind of a shock, but I have plenty of time left! DH & I decided to try the food therapy first, for a while, maybe even a year! I think this is key to my miracle; there were people in the film with a death sentence and so they decided to try this Dr. Gerson's therapy, and it worked! So having a little cancer, well medium aggressive, it has spread already, like thyroid cancer gives me a lot of hope!

Thank you so much for all of these tips! Hey is praying I don't have to use them and get to keep my beautiful butterfly thyroid!

Leslie, organic semi-unschooling mama teaching my children 5 and 2.75, that love & happiness is most important. Letting their light shine, finding out they are teaching me. Love being in the moment & nature.

#10 of 20 Old 03-29-2009, 07:31 PM

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#11 of 20 Old 03-29-2009, 07:40 PM

Allergy meds (antihistamine) dry up milk too right?

Im sorry you are having to face this battle, im sending positive thoughts your way

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#12 of 20 Old 03-30-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacresmama View Post
Thanks for all the healing vibes! Last night I saw a really cool movie, "The beautiful truth" on Netflix/instant. I highly recommend it to everyone(!!!!!) because it has so much information about avoiding cancer! Being 28, it is kind of a shock, but I have plenty of time left! DH & I decided to try the food therapy first, for a while, maybe even a year! I think this is key to my miracle; there were people in the film with a death sentence and so they decided to try this Dr. Gerson's therapy, and it worked! So having a little cancer, well medium aggressive, it has spread already, like thyroid cancer gives me a lot of hope!

Thank you so much for all of these tips! Hey is praying I don't have to use them and get to keep my beautiful butterfly thyroid!

Good luck with the food therapy!! I saw that film 2 weeks ago and think highly of it. Best wishes going your way Momma! :
#13 of 20 Old 03-30-2009, 08:58 PM

No advice just wanted to send a . My sister is three years free of thyroid cancer now after surgery and one round of the radioactive iodine therapy.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#14 of 20 Old 03-31-2009, 12:14 AM

::

Wife to DH 6/05 partners.gif and mommy to DD1, born 10/07 dust.gif and DD2, born June 2010 energy.gif, and one cat.gif! We bftoddler.gif, familybed2.gif, and homeschool.gif

#15 of 20 Old 03-31-2009, 12:19 AM

and many : for a speedy recovery
#16 of 20 Old 03-31-2009, 12:20 AM

::

http://www.gerson.org/

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#17 of 20 Old 01-11-2011, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your support with this! It was a hard time for us! She was having a hard time with my Breast Milk and Organic Formula of all kinds.. We had to face something that I really can not stand for in any way to support.. I hated it.. so hard.. she has a protein sensitivity to lots of animal foods. BUT! I did hold off the entire thing for one whole Year! Because she needed me and I didn't want to leave her side. She needed a lot of love and tenderness and I was able to nurse her for 4 months! I wish so much it had been two years! You guys are lucky! Feel proud and lucky! 

Perpetunia likes this.

#18 of 20 Old 01-11-2011, 05:52 AM

grouphug.gif  I hope that your health is good......

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#19 of 20 Old 01-23-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Hugs! It is actually doing great :) I am hooked on pills and medical bills forever, but hey.. I got to be here and that is the best thing ever! 

#20 of 20 Old 01-25-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacresmama View Post

I got to be here and that is the best thing ever! 

Absolutely.  grouphug.gif

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page