sharp nipple pain... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-30-2009, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is this about?!

I'm getting a really sharp, pinching pain in my left nipple (just the nipple) when DD starts to nurse. The right side is fine, and her latch seems perfect. What's going on?

My only thought is that I have a lower supply and slower letdown on the left, so maybe she sucks harder there?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

#2 of 5 Old 04-03-2009, 09:08 PM

I wish I had an answer, but unfortunately I have a similar problem. I feel like in my case, though the latch looks great, there must be a latch issue on the right side because after nursing, the nipple often looks pinched. Does your nipple ever looked pinched? Also, perhaps of note is that my right side is larger than the left, so perhaps that plays a role.

He nurses great on the other side - we've been totally pain free for months. I was off lanolin for a long time because we had thrush, but have been using the lanolin more lately and that seems to be helping. And I am working to ensure a perfect latch when I can (making sure there's flange on both sides of the mouth on top and bottom), but we like lying down nursing, and once he starts to get sleepy, it's hard to keep his latch intact. Also, while side lying nursing it's hard to see the under side of his mouth to do corrections.

I don't know if it's possibly a latch issue in your case as well, but one thing I've wondered is whether in the case of a one sided bad latch, a chiropractor or cranial sacral therapist might be able to help. Does anyone have experience with that?

Good luck!
#3 of 5 Old 04-03-2009, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulamc View Post
I wish I had an answer, but unfortunately I have a similar problem. I feel like in my case, though the latch looks great, there must be a latch issue on the right side because after nursing, the nipple often looks pinched. Does your nipple ever looked pinched? Also, perhaps of note is that my right side is larger than the left, so perhaps that plays a role.
It does look pinched sometimes. Maybe a latch issue then that I need to get some help with. I'm also wondering if the pain could be a sign of thrush because the other is getting sore now too....

#4 of 5 Old 04-05-2009, 11:15 AM

sharp pain shouts "thrush" to me. how long has it been hurting?

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#5 of 5 Old 04-05-2009, 11:22 AM

It sounds like thrush to me too, but sometimes I get pain if DD2 is comfort nursing and sometimes pinches down on the nipple more leaving it white. If this happens, I pull her off and pop in a paci to save me and comfort her. If she's hungry, not tired, she will protest. I find she also protests when I have let-down and she's comfort nursing.

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page