3Likes
  • 1 Post By UrbanSimplicity
  • 1 Post By Jenncvw
  • 1 Post By Incubator

#1 of 12 Old 04-14-2009, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had mine pierced when I was in college and then again after college (first ones didn't heal well and I ended up taking them out).

When I was pregnant I took them out, but my question is if having them pierced, in my case twice, can lead to problems BF.

DS1 06/27/2007, DS2 03/19/2010 :::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-14-2009, 04:45 PM

They should be fine. I have had mine pierced for 7 years and have a little visible scar tissue and have nursed for 4 years total so far.
#3 of 12 Old 04-14-2009, 06:52 PM

My milk comes out of the left over holes. It's sort of funny. I had bf problems but i don't think they were related to the piercings.

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#4 of 12 Old 04-15-2009, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Mine were only pierced once and I wore the jewelry for six months before they started migrating out. I've had no problems whatsoever.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#5 of 12 Old 04-15-2009, 06:59 PM

no problems i can relate to my piercings either. tho, like a pp, my milk squirts straight out of the piercing holes. my bf calls it my extra holes for our hungry boob monsters.

~veezie~ treehugger.gif intactlact.gifjammin.gif mama to julien (1.6.06) geek.gif, lennon (2.15.08) nut.gif, & triton (12.20.09) blahblah.gif. expecting #4 (5.2012) 2ndtri.gif

#6 of 12 Old 04-28-2009, 12:56 PM

NAK
being the dork that i am i called the LLL before i ever got my nipples pierced (i knew i wanted to bf when i had kids) and they reassured me that its totally fine. i do have milk come out of the the extra holes as well so it can be a little extra messy

the great thing is that i had my piercing out for almost two years b4 i started nursing and they had healed up kinda od and it seems the bm has helped them heal....
#7 of 12 Old 04-28-2009, 01:32 PM

A friend of a friend, so I don't know if this is exaggerated, had piercings and can nurse just fine but has to wear a breast pad on the other breast or she squirts out to the sides. Plenty of milk, no problems with it coming out, it just also comes out the piercings.
#8 of 12 Old 06-16-2012, 10:30 PM

I am on a mission to get LLL and others to stop telling women piercings are fine.  If you've had piercings, absolutely, plan on bfing your baby.  For many it works out with no problem.  But not everyone.  Having breasts fill with milk and have no exit is extremely painful and leads to involution.  If it happens to one breast, you still have the other, but if it should happen to both --- no breastfeeding.  I nursed for a total of 6 years with one breast due to scar tissue from nipple piercings.

Smella likes this.

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, my little lovey 5/12, and a zinnia 3/15
#9 of 12 Old 10-29-2015, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I realize this is an old thread but I'd like to revive it with a follow up question

I had both nipples pierced 7 years ago. I am currently trying to conceive, and I really, really hope that I will be able to breastfeed when the time comes. I know I probably won't know until I get there if there will be scar tissue complications, but my question is, when should I take the jewelry out? During pregnancy? I've read some conflicting things- one place said take them out before reaching the 6th month of pregnancy, other places said the earlier the better, and still others have suggested that taking the jewelry out earlier is actually not helpful since it may just provide more time for scar tissue to form.

Experiences?
Did anyone actually leave the piercings in, and just remove and replace the jewelry for each feeding?
#10 of 12 Old 11-12-2015, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smella View Post
I realize this is an old thread but I'd like to revive it with a follow up question

I had both nipples pierced 7 years ago. I am currently trying to conceive, and I really, really hope that I will be able to breastfeed when the time comes. I know I probably won't know until I get there if there will be scar tissue complications, but my question is, when should I take the jewelry out? During pregnancy? I've read some conflicting things- one place said take them out before reaching the 6th month of pregnancy, other places said the earlier the better, and still others have suggested that taking the jewelry out earlier is actually not helpful since it may just provide more time for scar tissue to form.

Experiences?
Did anyone actually leave the piercings in, and just remove and replace the jewelry for each feeding?
I had mine pierced and took them out in the first trimester of pregnancy and had no problems nursing my little girl 10 years ago, although milk definitely came out of the holes!!

HOWEVER. 10 years later and I just had twins 3.5 months ago and have dealt with clogged ducts ad mastitis because the holes healed over and the milk for some of the ducts has no exit. I'm not sure how this will go in the future but it has affected my milk supply and it sucks. So I'm not sure what to tell ya. I don't think it would be realistic to take out jewelry and feed, then put back in...nursing babies often nurse around the clock a little here and there and you'd have to end up taking out and putting in the jewelry about 50 times a day, plus it would increase your chances of infection by like a million percent.
#11 of 12 Old 11-15-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smella View Post

Experiences?

I took my piercings out while in labor, less than two hours before my daughter was born. I don't think the timing makes any difference. I had them each pierced twice, for almost 10 years at the time. The only way it impacted breastfeeding for me is that I would leak from the holes, no big deal. I found that it was unrealistic to put them back in after a feeding, only because I breastfed my daughter for so long, and it was always so all over the place. She would latch for a few minutes, do something else, latch again, and on and on. I've been 4 years without them but I can still work rings through when I try.
Smella likes this.
#12 of 12 Old 11-15-2015, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I had mine pierced after college, maybe five years before my first was born. The left one began to be rejected and grow out so I took it out after less than a year. I had originally intended to remove the remaining one for feedings, but keep it. However I never did buy easier to remove hardware, so I scrapped that plan. I kept the piercing in through labor and only removed it just before attempting to nurse for the first time.

I had slight difficulty nursing on the left side. The nipple on that side is tougher and has more scar tissue that makes it a bit lopsided, but it still works. Between the right side being more "normal" and easier adjust to, probably mostly due to the fact that I'm right handed, I do use it more, but they both work. Milk does come out the holes, but not as badly for me as some others have said. It doesn't shoot out of them, it's just another outlet. Even with over active letdown, the milk still comes out the usual way, there is no spraying out through the holes.

If I were to go back, I probably wouldn't have had them pierced in the first place.
Smella likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page