Is there a "better" formula? PRegnant and nursing - Mothering Forums
Breastfeeding Challenges > Is there a "better" formula? PRegnant and nursing
elisheva's Avatar elisheva 04:49 AM 04-26-2009
I've seen a few threads on this recently but none have asked/answered my questions....

I'm 11.5 wks preg and I have an almost 8 mo ds. My supply has dropped in the past week - ds has fewer wets and is fussy at the breast because he wants more than he's getting. I'm drinking nettle tea and eating plenty of good whole foods.

Nevertheless, I'm getting the impression that I need to do something about his nutrition and soon. He eats solid food and I've lately been pushing high fat, nutritious food like egg yolk, avocado, oatmeal, banana, brown rice... he mostly eats what we eat with the occasional jar of food thrown in if what we're eating isn't baby friendly (think stirfry with peanut sauce - oops!).

I need to increase his liquids, for starters. Water? Goat's milk? Formula? What's best? If the answer is formula, is there one formula known to be better (more organic, less crap)?

Also, I've heard there are some bottles that are more conducive to maintaining a breastfeeding relationship - what are they called, please? Would it be better to just spoon-feed the formula/water/milk?

I'm thrilled about the new baby but I hate that I can't give my poor ds what he wants and needs.

Megan73's Avatar Megan73 10:12 AM 04-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisheva View Post
I'm thrilled about the new baby but I hate that I can't give my poor ds what he wants and needs.
Sounds to me like you're on the right track, mama Congrats on your new baby.
I need to supplement but I just use a drug store brand – IMHO formulas are all pretty similar. The issue is whether you want an organic brand and who makes it – for example whether it's a subsidiary of companies such as Nestle.
That said – I'd avoid artificial nipples entirely. I think spoon or cup feeding is a great idea or you could consider an at-the-breast supplementer such as the Medela SNS or Lact-Aid so your little one can continue to get all his milk at the breast. I find that my son gets more breastmilk because the flow of supplement keeps him interested in suckling.
sattygirl99's Avatar sattygirl99 11:55 AM 04-26-2009
http://www.naturesone.com/index.php

This one is organic, doesn't use corn syrup... It's the formula we'd use if we had to.
Mamatoabunch's Avatar Mamatoabunch 07:17 PM 04-26-2009
I have supply issues from a breast reduction. I never have a full supply. From 6 months on my babies get goat milk and do very well. This time my baby was only three months when I became pregnant again. We had a lot of challenges, but are nursing w/ the SNS, were using the lact-aid previous to becoming pregnant, Bornfree bottles, and now some food.
elisheva's Avatar elisheva 10:53 PM 04-26-2009
Thanks, mamas. After looking at the ingredients on a can of organic formula, I decided I can likely meet his nutritional needs through the food he eats and adding some goats milk and making sure to add extra fats to his foods in the form of organic coconut oil. I'll keep nursing as long as he will stay at the breast but he's always been my distractable kid - unless there is a flow coming from the boob, he's got other things to do, thank you very much Not sure I can convince him to keep comfort sucking to get the benefits of the colostrum when it shows up in a few weeks (I had it starting from 15 weeks when I was pg with him). I'll keep at it. I bought him a sippy cup for water/hydration.
radosti's Avatar radosti 12:09 PM 04-27-2009
DS2 is a pro with a sippy cup. He's almost 11 months, but started with the sippy cup at 7 mo when big brother left his sitting too close... doh. We're in the same situation. And DS2 eats a lot of food, but he still wants MILK!!! For daycare I am thawing the dwindling stash I had built up. But at home, we are supplementing with formula. We just figured out that he cannot handle Similac. His sleep had been very fragmented. He really likes Enfamil, but I just ordered some Earth's Best formula to get him through the next month. I know he likes regular milk (again, courtesy of big brother). So, that's what we'll go to after he's a year old.
starling&diesel's Avatar starling&diesel 02:22 PM 04-27-2009
Our midwives suggested Nutramigen or Alimentum, both of which are hypoallergenic and very easy to digest. I found DD didn't do well on the Organic Milk based formulas, but she does well on the Nutramigen, when we have to use it when we run out of donor milk to supplement with.

I'm interested in hearing how the other poster gave her babes goat's milk at six months. I think I'll look into that!
alfabetsoup's Avatar alfabetsoup 03:40 PM 04-27-2009
If you need to supplement, I would use formula. Goat's milk and cow's milk don't have enough nutrients for babies under a year, even those eating solids--their main drink should be breast milk or formula.
mysticmomma's Avatar mysticmomma 03:44 PM 04-27-2009
goats milk all the way. make sure you add in some folic acid and vit d. I did a mix for a 9mo old that was a little rice syrup, some flax oil and goats milk. If you email me at trisha dot law at gmail dot com, I will send you a chart that I made up that compares the contents of formula vs what a baby needs, and what foods you can get those nutrients from.
SparklingGemini's Avatar SparklingGemini 06:42 PM 04-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post
S
That said – I'd avoid artificial nipples entirely. I think spoon or cup feeding is a great idea or you could consider an at-the-breast supplementer such as the Medela SNS or Lact-Aid so your little one can continue to get all his milk at the breast.

I'm not sure what formula would best suit you but I want to say YES! to this statement.

You might even ask around and see if you can get some donor milk and then use a lactation aid to keep him at the breast. That way he'll get the nutrients he still needs along with the emotional benefits of eating at the breast.

Megan73's Avatar Megan73 07:19 PM 04-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisheva View Post
I'll keep nursing as long as he will stay at the breast but he's always been my distractable kid - unless there is a flow coming from the boob, he's got other things to do, thank you very much
That's why I suggested the SNS or a Lact-Aid – the flow will keep him at the breast so he gets whatever milk you're producing.
Like the PP, I'd hesitate to use goat's milk and solids as the bulk of nutrition for such a young baby – he needs formula, or better yet, donor milk.
tiggygal23's Avatar tiggygal23 08:51 PM 04-27-2009
Goats milk is the way to go. Our bodies are not meant to handle cows milk, cow milk is for cows. You need to give your LO goats milk. The way formula that you need to mix it so that it is digestable with their system is as follows:
1/2 goats milk, 1/2 water, to that add either kayro syrup or a better thing to add is called Eugalan. It comes in a powder at the health food store. If you would like you may also add a capsule of DHA as well as liquid colostrom which can also be found at the health food store. The Eugalan or Kayro syrup is a must or your LO will get constipated.
My LO had goats milk at 2 months old and grew very well with it. Good luck.
ruhbehka's Avatar ruhbehka 11:13 PM 04-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggygal23 View Post
Goats milk is the way to go. Our bodies are not meant to handle cows milk, cow milk is for cows. You need to give your LO goats milk.
But... her LO is not a goat, either.

Cows milk and goat's milk are actually remarkably similar as far as protein digestibility goes. Only 5% of babies who cannot tolerate cow's milk because of milk protein sensitivity or allergy can tolerate goat's milk. For 95% of babies who don't tolerate cow's milk, goat's milk is no better for them.

For the OP - at 8 months, your LO's digestive tract is probably mature enough that she will handle a regular cow's milk based formula with no problems, especially since she's eating a variety of other foods already. If she doesn't show any signs of reacting poorly to it, I personally would just use that to compensate for your lowered milk supply.

It's unlikely that you could get her to take it via SNS at this age, but you can always try. She will probably just pop off and stare at your breast suspiciously, then refuse to nurse with it. That's been my experience with trying to introduce an SNS at 7 - 8 months, even in a baby who has used one months earlier successfully (and then discontinued it).

At 8 months, though, she can pretty easily learn to drink from an open cup. I would start with familiar liquids (expressed milk would be awesome if you can get some from a trusted friend?), and when she does well with it, then you can slowly introduce the formula (mix it 25/75, then 50/50, etc., until she's drinking just formula... unless of course you have a long term source of EBM!)

If she gets mucus in her stools, gets fussy/cranky, reflux-y, or shows other signs of not tolerating the milk-based formula, then you'd want to switch to a hydrolyzed milk protein formula like Alimentum or Nutramigen, which works for 80 - 95% of babies who can't tolerate standard milk-based formula. Soy formula would be less expensive but is less ideal, nutritionally.

You don't want to use rice or soy milk as her primary milk at this age, just FYI, because the nutritional profile isn't sufficient for young toddlers or older babies. They need more fat and more protein. Plus excessive soy intake has its own issues, and many kids who don't do well with cow's milk also are sensitive to soy in large quantities.

If she were much younger, I'd be more inclined to pay the extra for the hydrolyzed formulas even without any signs of reaction to standard milk-based formula, but at 8 months, her digestive system is much better equipped to handle things, and she's less likely to develop a cow's milk allergy by introducing it at this age.

You can also give her yogurt at this age (try to limit sugar, of course), and the probiotics in it would be helpful to her digestive tract. It wouldn't be sufficient to meet her nutritional needs in place of breastmilk, of course, but could be a great food to add to improve her overall nutrition.

Among the "standard" milk based formulas is Earth's Best Organic formula (it says "toddler" on the front because they don't market it for infants, but it's fine for babies as well), which you could try. We tried it early on, when we needed to supplement my son, and I found that it didn't mix up nearly as nicely as the mainstream brands, so we ended up switching to a non-organic type. (And ultimately he ended up on a prescription formula because of severe food allergies, which is why I know so much about the different types and alternatives!).

Hope that helps a bit. I know it can be a really emotional decision to make, when you didn't plan to use formula at all.
NOURISHING TRADITIONS ( the health/cookbook) by Sally Fallon
has a FANTASTIC homemade formula recipe!!
If I were in your situation I would go no different route than homemade!!
It cannot be beat!!
Mamatoabunch's Avatar Mamatoabunch 01:36 AM 04-28-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhbehka View Post
But... her LO is not a goat, either.

It's unlikely that you could get her to take it via SNS at this age, but you can always try. She will probably just pop off and stare at your breast suspiciously, then refuse to nurse with it. That's been my experience with trying to introduce an SNS at 7 - 8 months, even in a baby who has used one months earlier successfully (and then discontinued it).
You never know. I nursed my dd w/ the LA, Lact-aid since birth. When she was 5 months and I 11 weeks pregnant I had a SCH. I stopped nursing for a while and almost 2 months later got her nursing again w/ the SNS. It was a fight for a day, but now she is happily nursing again w/ the SNS. It took a bit of work.
elisheva's Avatar elisheva 02:03 AM 04-28-2009
Thanks everyone. He's still nursing and had some good wets today even though I couldn't get himto take much water or goats milk from a spoon, cup, or sippy. I've never been a good pumper, but I think tomorrow I'll try to pump from one breast while he nurses at the other to see if maybe, just maybe, the milk is letting down more often than I think? He's asleep and nursing right now and I actually thought I felt the milk let down (usually don't feel it anymore due to the pg) and sure enough his sleepy little self startled a little and started gulping. :
Up