The old poop inspection - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-16-2009, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there ladies,
My LO is 12 weeks and now finally after some supply issues is strickly breastfed. We have been having some poop issues the last couple of weeks. LO was having some green mucousy poop, so I eliminated dairy. The green went away but he is still extremely gassy and very fussy. So now I have eliminated glutens as well. I have been dairy free for 2 weeks and gluten free for 1 week. However, I am worried because he is not pooping everyday now, and also when he does poop it is brownish orange and very loose. Almost like paint. There are not seeds in it, and it almost looks like diahrrea (sp?). What would cause his poops to be that color, be more infrequent, and also be seedless? He is still quite gassy and pretty cranky at times. Any information, ideas or suggestions would really be welcome. I am getting ready to take him to the doctor, who will probably tell me to put him on soy formula which I am not willing to do. Help please?
#2 of 3 Old 05-17-2009, 12:50 AM

Frequency isn't a huge problem at that age, many babies go 10+ days with out a bm. My guess is allergies. There is a simple blood test for food an environmental allergies. I would request it. Soy is a bad idea if you really are dealing with allergies. Any chance of finding a breastfeeding friendly doctor in your area?

This link has all sorts of allergy info.
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041800.asp

Also, if your baby is going to have blood drawn I suggest getting the cream for pain control for the draw site before you have it done. Your ped should be able to rx it for you.
#3 of 3 Old 05-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Banned

My LO is 4 months and for the past 1.5 mo has had deep orangey poops with no seeds, poops every other day or so and quite watery. I think it's normal? My LC told me as long as it wasn't bloody, black, white or green it's probably just normal, and that as their digestive tract matures they poop less often. But don't take my advice for it, if the doc is concerned and says to go soy formula talk to an IBCLC first!

Oh, the fussy/gassiness does sound concerning, though. Maybe try to eliminate all the common allergens from your diet for 2 weeks and see if that helps. Apparently also eating lots of gassy veggies like broccoli and beans can give your LO gas but it's not harmful to them in any way. So you could try eating less gassy veggies.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page