Kicking! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2009, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm currently nursing my 11 month old and while nursing she loves to flail her leg around kicking me. Anyone else have this problem? I'm guessing it's normal just very annoying :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 02:46 PM

I was just going to come and post something similar! My son is 5 months adjusted, and used to love to snuggle up and nurse. Now all he wants to do is flail and twist his body and hit me and grab my skin *hard* and let me know he's done with the nursies by biting my breast. It makes nursing so difficult! I used to really look forward to our nursing time and now I can't stand it - I totally understand why people quit, because this really stinks.

So, I'm going to be watching closely to see if any wonderful veteran mommas have advice for this kind of situation...
Old 05-21-2009, 03:06 PM

I have a 17 month old kicker. I was just grabbing his feet and holding them but one day he kicked my really hard in the throat. It took my breath away and I "snapped". I was less than gentle I yelled and put him down too roughly. I felt like crap for the rest of the day.

So here is how I deal with it.

- kick
- I grab his legs and say "don'tkick Mommy"
- kick
- Grab his leg "if you kick Mommy again nursing is done"
-kick - I unlatch him and put him down.

We rarely get to the 3rd kick now. I don't know that he understands the warning but I figure it works like how we stopped the biting. He bit and got unlatched and put down so he eentually stopped biting.

Hope you find a solution.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:53 PM

I have a 9m/o kicker driving me nuts. She kicks me, tummy baby kicks me. Too much stimulation. No one else can sit near me while I am nursing!

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Little boogers
My LO smacks me too in the chest area. I'm hoping it's just a phase. I've been lucky she is almost a year and has not bit me yet

She did go thru a phase of pulling my hair really hard while nursing and finally stopped. Now she plays with it gently and it puts me to sleep
Old 05-21-2009, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm with you - my almost 6 mo old starting kicking and whacking about six weeks ago and it has gotten gradually worse. He always lightly tapped me on the chest with his fist but now it is full on punches that can take my breath away. He kicks off of whatever he can reach and pushes his whole body around, taking my nipple with him. It is killer. The icing on the cake is that he looks up at me with a big giggling grin as he does it!!!

Anyway, what works for me is to minimize distractions as much as humanly possible. The slightest noise will set him off. Also, as often as possible, I feed him when he is totally relaxed, sleepy if possible. If I can catch him just as he is waking up from a nap, I will "trick" him into nursing. When he's that relaxed, he will always take the breast if I nudge his nose with my nipple and then he nurses calmly and cuddly like the good old days. I'm not sure if this is a good habit to get into but so far there haven't been any consequences (ie. he doesn't wake up and scream when there isn't a boob in his mouth).

I hope this is a stage they outgrow!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.

User Tag List