Still no milk after 10 days? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-28-2009, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a very dear friend who just gave birth 10 days ago and her milk still has not come in. She has seen a lactation consultant but she didn't have any advice and she's taking a encapsulated form of mother's tea. They have been putting him to the breast and then inserting a very small tube into his mouth so that when he sucks he is still getting some sort of nourishment. He got really scary dehydrated on Friday and that's when they started to supplement.

I am just hoping that one of you wise women will have some sort of advice for me to pass along. It's killing me to see her frustration because I know how badly she wanted this amazing breastfeeding relationship. She struggled for 7 and a half years to conceive him, went 13 days past her due date, labored for 30 hours/pushing for 3 since he was sunny side up, in a hospital with no drugs.....and now this! AGH!

Thanks in advance.

Rochelle  chartnew.gifff: /home/simplyrochelle  Wife to Matt; angel1.gif 9/08; angel1.gif 11/12;angel1.gif 6/13;

Every day brings me closer to fulfilling my dreams of becoming a midwife and a mother  

#2 of 8 Old 05-28-2009, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You both could check out kellymom.com for fabulous advice, as well as Dr. Jack Newman's site.
Both are FILLED with information.
She should consider domperidone along with the at-the-breast work she is doing, and continue to supplement so that baby's needs are met no matter what. Absolutely no artificial nipples of ANY kind. No pacis, no bottles.
She can consider a Lact-Aid system, or Medela SNS system if she needs to supplement long term.
You can tell her that there is a legion of mamas out there who know what it's like to mourn the loss of the breastfeeding relationship they'd always dreamed of. You can also tell her that it will get easier, no matter what her new normal becomes.
My best wishes and prayers go out to your friend. The road she's on is a hard one, but like I said before ... she's not alone.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#3 of 8 Old 05-28-2009, 03:36 AM
Banned

Give her all the support you can. She must be feeling so disappointed in her body and so down-hearted right now. They are just starting out, there is so much to try! I second Dr Jack Newman, contact him! He is the best in breastfeeding issues. And try Domperidone earlier rather than later.

And not to give up. Everyone, even my great LC told me she thought we had got my supply up to the max. Months later we weaned our daughter of the supplemented donor milk (SNS)! She still breastfeeds A LOT!
#4 of 8 Old 05-28-2009, 08:10 AM

My milk was very slow to come in with my girls. It wasn't like there was NO milk but it was like "I don't know if it's in?" There was something, but not enough. Not like with my son where on day 3 he pulled off and milk spilled out and i KNEW.

I was taking mother's milk tea... fenugreek... nothing. on Day 10 I started More Milk Plus tincture... FOUL TASTING... I chased with a shot glass of grapefruit juice... my milk came in the next day. It could have been coincidence but I do credit the MMP... I found it at whole foods in the baby/kid area of the health and beauty section. Pricey but IMO worth it. (Less than another trip to the LC, LOL)

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#5 of 8 Old 05-29-2009, 02:53 PM

Make sure mum is getting a full health check too i.e. has placenta been delivered fully with no retained tissue? No anemia? No thyroid issues?

Not clear why the LC didn't have any advice for her?? She needs more than tea - domperidone as mentioned or certainly fenugreek at maximum levels. Latch needs checking. How are her nipples? Some focused pumping might be useful too. I think she needs a new LC or LLL.

SKIN-TO-SKIN
#6 of 8 Old 05-29-2009, 06:57 PM

Has anyone checked mom for IGT? I have IGT and many IGT mom's (especially if it's the first baby) make little to no milk....

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#7 of 8 Old 05-29-2009, 08:22 PM

Yeah, ditch that LC for sure. I also though about retained placenta, especially if she really has NO milk.
#8 of 8 Old 05-29-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW6Londonmum View Post
Make sure mum is getting a full health check too
Yep, my first guess would be is she eating enough? Most new moms arent eating and then my second is does she have an infection or something up with her body? Definitely check out all areas.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page