The nipple shield is gone!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-28-2009, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can hardly believe it, but after six months of breastfeeding with a nipple shield, my DD just latched on without and hasn't looked back since! Its been 5 days now and I can't belive how much easier it is not to have to worry about the darn thing! We originally started using it because of tongue thrust/ disorganized suck issues and I've been trying to wean her off of it pretty much from the begining and was just assuming that we would be using it for the duration of our nursing relationship. Yay!!! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 05-28-2009, 11:03 PM

that is awesome!!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#3 of 13 Old 05-28-2009, 11:44 PM

Congratulations!!!

I can't wait until we can get rid of it too.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#4 of 13 Old 05-29-2009, 08:13 PM

How did you do it? I am trying to accomplish the same thing.
#5 of 13 Old 05-31-2009, 04:28 AM

Congratulations!!!!:

<Can I just embarrass myself and say that when I read the title of your thread I thought you were worried that your baby might have swallowed it!!!>
#6 of 13 Old 06-08-2009, 12:36 AM

Congratulations!!!
#7 of 13 Old 06-09-2009, 05:00 PM

Congratulations!! The same thing happened with my son when he was about 5 months. We never looked back!
#8 of 13 Old 06-09-2009, 05:08 PM

Woo hoo! I too never thought we could get off it but it can be done. I got some good tips online and it took about 1 week.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#9 of 13 Old 06-12-2009, 12:44 AM

Love to hear how you did it - I just figured we've come this far with it why argue with what works.... However, if there is an easier way, I'm all ears.
#10 of 13 Old 06-12-2009, 08:36 PM

Here are some tips from Kelly Mom and iVillage for weaning off the nipple shield.

Personally, I started by letting her feed with it until she reached the drowsy, satiated stage and her latch softened. Then I would slip the shield off without really removing her mouth from my breast. At first she would cry immediately, but within a couple days she wouldn't fuss when I removed it. Then I started letting her latch with it and removed it midway through the session. Again, it took a few days for that to be acceptable. Then I started offering the breast without the shield every feeding and every time we changed sides. The first few days of that she wouldn't latch at all and I would put the shield back on to nurse that session. After a few days of that, she would latch for a minute, then longer, then eventually she accepted the breast without the shield every time. We nursed until 19 months.

Stay positive mama! Your baby can tell your mood and frustration level. I wanted to get off the shield and I knew it was possible from reading other mama's experiences. So I went forward with the positive premise that it would happen eventually. I didn't let her cry or fuss to the point that she couldn't feed, just long enough that I could see she really meant that the situation was unacceptable KWIM? Communication and mutual respect helped. Yes, she was only a few months old, but babies understand WAY more than we sometimes assume. I let her know what my goal was (no more shield) through words and actions, but I let her comfort level lead us through the process.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#11 of 13 Old 06-13-2009, 12:40 AM

Wow, OP, congrats! That is a BIG deal. I know so, so many moms that were done in by the shield and gave up in frustration. I was pretty close to a total breakdown until an angel LC weaned us off of them.

Way to go!
#12 of 13 Old 06-15-2009, 09:32 AM

:

We used a nipple shield for about 5 months too so I totally understand your excitement! Way to go mama and babe!

Just wanted to add (for BUNDY, AMY H-C and others) that if you search the MDC forums you should be able to find some useful threads about weaning from the shield. HTH
#13 of 13 Old 06-15-2009, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow, that is great to hear!! Congrats!!

Andi - roller derby, slave to the hoop, birth junkie, lover of love, single mama of 4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page