Total Elimination Diet - I need encouragement - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-02-2009, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been on a TED for one week now, and still I haven't seen much progress. My baby is 4 months old and he has had blood in his stool on and off since 6 weeks old. He is otherwise thriving in every way, there is just the bloody stool. Stool cultures came back ok, his hemoglobin is great, all is well. But he has the bloody stools and developed pretty bad diarrhea for a week. I've started block nursing and the diarrhea is gone now, but he still has runny, greenish, mucusy poo with tiny specs of bright red blood every couple of days.

So, I'm really bummed out because I figured I'd see some improvement by now. I need some encouragement to keep going! I know Dr. Sears says to give the TED two weeks, but shouldn't I see SOME progress by now? I was hoping for "baseline" by now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-02-2009, 01:04 PM

Blood in the stool, especially if it's been going on for a while can take up to 8 wks to heal. After 2 wks you need to start adding something back into your diet and call it a pass assuming nothing gets worse etc. I just started the TED too w/ Olivia. I did it w/ Evan and didn't see results till a few days in when I ran out of squash. We never did potatos b/c I knew he reacted to those. I cut potatos again this time and no squash either and no real results. Her diaper looked less gross this morning, but she still has a lot of reflux issues that her meds aren't fixing. Your options are keep moving forward on what your'e eating or change it a little to see if it's something you're still eating that's bothering him.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#3 of 10 Old 07-03-2009, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! When you add a new food, do you eat it just once and wait four days, or just start eating it regularly and continue unless the baby reacts?

I can't believe your daughter was allergic to potatoes and squash! Not fair!!! Those are supposed to be the least allergenic! I talked to someone last week whose two daughters are allergic to sweet potatoes. What the...?

I may try removing the rice next.

Thanks for writing back. It is really helpful!
#4 of 10 Old 07-03-2009, 11:42 AM

I would eat the food at least once a day. You don't want to go crazy, which is hard after not having much variety, lol, but you don't want to overload baby. Twice a day is good in normal amounts for 4 days or so and then add the next thing or take that back out if it's not going well, wait till baby is better and try something else. She didn't sleep again last night.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#5 of 10 Old 07-03-2009, 03:22 PM

Oh Jennifer, I'm so sorry to hear that! DS2 isn't sleeping either, and DD's not sleeping and vomitting her tube feeds right now...I feel constantly tired!

OP- Have you done any allergy testing yet?
#6 of 10 Old 07-04-2009, 09:59 PM

just wanted to offer s

i'm entering my second TED week, and it is so hard! even though my baby's "colic" disappeared after 3 days, and i couldn't be happier that she's no longer screaming in pain 5 hours a day, i still kind of hat my life right now.

i don't know if you have a Whole Foods near you, but i found a bunch of stuff there i can have on the Sears TED (crispy rice cold cereal, hot rice cereal, rice flour to make gravy from turkey drippings/broth, rice noodles, etc) that has made it so much easier for me. i couldn't choke down plain rice one more time! lol

it's especially hard today-- our annual 4th of july barbecue

i feel your pain though! and i also know that it takes a freaking supermama to do this
#7 of 10 Old 07-08-2009, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sounds like there are some real intolerance issues if your LO had blood in his stool! I hope you see some improvement soon!

I just wanted to add for other readers that I tried TED and had zero results with her colic (but I got a jump start on my weight loss!)

What finally helped was spacing her feedings out. I realized that breastfeeding on cue doesn't mean offering the boob constantly. I wasn't letting her digest her previous meal... From every 45 minutes to 1.5-2 hrs did the trick and she was not hungry in between.

Good luck!

Mama to DD luxlove.gif born June 2008 and Wife to my dear Magyar foreign exchange husband. Expecting again in September!joy.gif 
#8 of 10 Old 07-13-2009, 04:56 PM

Ack I have been doing this elimination diet for over a month now and it sucks. On the bright side it dramatically improved my DD's colic. So far she has had a definite reaction to eggs, possibly some intestinal discomfort to beef but no major reaction, and I think a major reaction to mustard. With the eggs I just ate them once and she screamed for hours for about 2 to 3 days, had streaks of blood in her stool, and a burn-like rash on her bottom. After 3 days she started to improve. With the beef she just had some painful gassy episodes but not the screaming/rash/blood in her stool. Most recently she had a reaction to either mustard or cucumber, I am not sure which although I am leaning toward the mustard. This was more like the egg reaction but not as severe. All in all I have only been able to add about 6 things back into my diet, not fun. I have lost a lot of weight too. I am within about 5 lbs of my prepregnancy weight already and she is not quite 4 months old. Someone please tell me this will get better. Also, will I ever be able to eat this stuff again that she is having problems with? I have read that children grow out of allergies sometimes but how do you know when?

SAHM to one sweet little
#9 of 10 Old 07-14-2009, 08:38 PM

Here are a few recipes:

Zucchini chips: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=215

Zucchini casserole: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...47&postcount=2

Pear crisp: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=332

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#10 of 10 Old 07-15-2009, 02:00 AM

Thank you so much for the recipes! That helps a lot. I am getting so tired of plain rice, steamed zucchini and browned ground turkey.

SAHM to one sweet little

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page