Bruised nipple from bite...in terrible pain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-13-2009, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my almost 10 mo old dd actually bit me 3 days ago but didnt break the skin, but i am sooooooooooo bruised at the base of my left nipple that she cant eat from it cause i cant stand the pain. she only has 2 teeth on the top right side but is working on 2 on the top left. is there anything i can do for the bruising??? we were side lying (trying to go to bed) when she clamped down and she wouldnt let go for nothin. i was digging my finger into her mouth trying to pry her open and she clamped down harder to keep my finger out of her mouth so i tried smooshing her face closer into me to see if she would loosen up all the while yelling "OW OW OW OW OW LET GO OW OW OW" . it took me a good 45 seconds of wrestling her and trying desparately to get my finger into her mouth to get her to let go. ive been nursing her on that side like usual up until this afternoon. i can usually grit my teeth and endure the pain and get thru a feed but she keeps re irritating it everytime she nurses and now i cant even stand my shirt to touch it.
any other ideas to help speed this healing along???? im dying over here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-13-2009, 10:01 PM

Arnica should help. Pills and topical both (I recommend Weleda since its lanolin based).
#3 of 6 Old 08-13-2009, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

I just took my arnica pellets and apparently there IS a small tear on the skin on the bottom side of my nipple that the arnica cream just made me VERY aware of.
should i try to jsut pump on that side and let her nurse from the other while it heals because those teeth keep digging in everytime i try. she doesnt seem to have any problems at all with the right side though...*fingers crossed* she stays that way
#4 of 6 Old 08-13-2009, 11:44 PM

OW!

Definitely pump that side if she can't nurse so you don't lose your milk supply/end up with mastitis.

If you aren't opposed to pain medication - now would be the time to break out the ibuprofen/your usual.

I really hope you feel better soon!
#5 of 6 Old 08-14-2009, 12:09 PM

We had some bruising when DS teeth first came in. It was probably the first time I seriously considered giving up. It hurt so bad!

Switching positions for about a week allowed enough time for the bruise to heal and him to figure out how to latch with the new teeth. We did football hold for the first time ever.

~Kaiya~

winner.jpg  Mama to DS(7), DS(4), DD(1) and #4 due 8/2014!

#6 of 6 Old 08-27-2009, 12:16 AM

Adding to the great suggestions. I have a biter too. My DD has drawn blood before. It hurt so bad I handed her to DH and said I'll be back in a few hours. KellyMom.com had some good suggestions too. Icing her gums before I nursed while she was teething was a lifesaver. I nursed her on the non injured side first and then would switch her. I took Ibuprofen and was dilligent in watching her nurse. If she seemed to loose interest, I would unhook her quickly. She seems to bite more often when she is teething and bored. I also pumped and then had her nurse on the injured side at night when she was half asleep. I try not to scream out (not always easy to do) because she seems to think it's fun to watch me be so animated and she bites harder.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page